Gaben working on ENTIRELY new Engine!

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"So what do you wanna know about that's not Half-Life 3?" Valve president Gabe Newell, laughing, asks a crowd of Redditors who recently visited the Washington-based studio. The group's first question, however, was just as worthwhile. What's up with that supposed new game engine? "We've been working on new engine stuff for awhile," Newell says. It's tough to hear what he says next, but it sounds like, "We'll probably just roll it out in one of our games" (subtitles of the video read: "We've just been waiting for a game to roll it out with"). Thankfully, a followup question directly addresses Newell's ambiguity. "Is it going to be more than just an update to Source [Valve's first game engine]? Is it an entirely new engine?" the Redditor asks, which Newell directly (and concisely) responds to with a simple, "Yeah." See the full back-and-forth beyond the break.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/11/valve-g...ource-engine-2/

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This news has been floating around the interwebs for a while

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hopefully they replace their map format and get some better tools for content creation on the engine.

Also, I am immensely saddened to find out that their spaceship game has been cancelled.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ooh, finally Valve's gonna have a good (or I hope so) game engine for their quality games. Because updating a 2004 year engine just doesn't work. Never did.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ooh, finally Valve's gonna have a good (or I hope so) game engine for their quality games. Because updating a 2004 year engine just doesn't work. Never did.
Considering sales of Portal 2, and how amazing that game, and how well it was received, and now genuinely beautiful the game was....I'd say it did.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I somehow highly doubt people praised Portal 2 for its graphics. Perhaps it did look better than the rest of Valve's games, but there are plenty better looking game engines out there (not even talking about DirectX 11). Source was awesome in 2004, but in time was surpassed by others, and updates didn't help that much.

And although it doesn't really have to do with anything, I didn't like Portal 2.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I somehow highly doubt people praised Portal 2 for its graphics. Perhaps it did look better than the rest of Valve's games, but there are plenty better looking game engines out there (not even talking about DirectX 11). Source was awesome in 2004, but in time was surpassed by others, and updates didn't help that much.

And although it doesn't really have to do with anything, I didn't like Portal 2.
Portal 2 was praised as having some of the best graphics of 2011.

But that's mostly because consoles. Valve saw no reason to create a new Engine while they still existed. Source...still looks amazing and runs amazing. Look @ Cinematic mod for HL2, up there with Crysis.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Like the man said, Portal 2 was praised pretty much all around. Story, gameplay, and graphics. The source engine was already ahead of it's time when it released. Besides which, I would prefer to have a fluid, non-buggy physics engine compared to a new engine that crashes every hour and has glitchs and colored lines sticking out of the textures because they team working on it didn't have time to account for all the graphics cards of the world.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Portal 2 had good graphics, but it had terrible loading times.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I was also referring to the number of load times. There were far too many, was detrimental to the experience.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah I guess, but with the way the levels were designed, was part of it.

Still, I know whatcha mean. Still one of the best games in a long time, had me interesting, laughing, and just enjoying it all the way through without ever becoming frustrated; which is REALLY hard to do in a Puzzle game. Not frustrating the player, that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom