Forum Suggestion

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i suggested this in a thread in that a newb was asking fore help

they seem to always ask the same questions in a contiuing run , i was thinking maybe you could have an automatic pm sent out to each new member that signs up , simply because it clogs up other threads and such in the help/newbie section , or change the text of the welcoming email or sumething

any1 agree with me ? (this is just to clear up a lot of threads based around a certain answer that has been answered nearly a thousand times before)

Best answers
I agree overlord or atleast something that stands out to new players/members about help and stuff i know admins/members are here to help at free will but there has to be a better way seriously...

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's what the stickes are for, they provide information on consistantly asked questions.

Whether or not these new people read them... is something we can't control.

But, to acknowledge your suggestion, a single PM with links to informative stickies would be worthwhile.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
after all , it would cut down all those "PLEASE HELP ME ESF WON'T WORK :(" stuff out alot , as we do see questions get asked time and time again , which just get's annoyying , the ones that i see asked alot are

* does esf work on hl2/source ?
* esf1.2.3 won't install
* how do i put in custom maps/models/sprites
* evm related stuff
* pl saving
* How do i play the game ?

ofcourse , there may be others that i have not listed , but that sums up the most of it

btw , synth , i did move on

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
mmm .. putting links to the stickies into the welcome pms might be a good idea... and a notice to read the manual before aking questions ^.^ *looks to Cuc*

Best answers
Even a tip popup window or somthing in the forums for new members or somthing or even in 1.3 once its out would help thouse who need it alot

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think this will be something useful once 1.3 is released, as each prior release added new members.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
maybve they could get warnings and stuff if they create a thread on it , unless ofcourse they explain that they do not understand something in sokme sort of way maybe , i dunno , maybe a light warning or something

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SAIYAN_OVERLORD said:
maybve they could get warnings and stuff if they create a thread on it , unless ofcourse they explain that they do not understand something in sokme sort of way maybe , i dunno , maybe a light warning or something
Warning a user right away for his first thread asking a question that's already in a sticky is usually a bad idea as it alienates them right from the start. Our current system of kindly pointing them to the stickys that answer their questions works good enough in my opinion.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah , i guess so , but still , the pm idea sounds like a good system to keep uber question spam down

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SAIYAN_OVERLORD said:
yeah , i guess so , but still , the pm idea sounds like a good system to keep uber question spam down
It may be a good system, but would it be worth it to set up a PM system like that (if you can set it up, I'm not so sure it can be done) when, to be completely honest, that not many people post questions that have already been answered. I understand you're trying to help the forums, but you're making it sound like there is always a flood of threads made in that manner.

Best answers
Well...there kinda is every so often a small flood usualy asking for help thats easly found ingame or they ask about evm im sure even the mods would get sick of "Evm is a third party mod" and link em to the right area, See what happens i guess :\

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i guess it should be done , we don't wanna see the same questions answered time and time again , i mean what makes sence to do so if you can already find an answer to your question , it should be done so we don't get ppl who post and go "PPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZ HHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP MMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE" sorta stuff

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The esf manual should be linked somewhere on the mainsite and in a sticky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom