Florida to be Seperated Into Two States?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Furious at state leaders over how they collect and spend money, the North Lauderdale City Commission is pushing to have Florida divided into two states: North Florida and South Florida.

The boundary line would run from Palm Beach County down through Monroe County.

The North Lauderdale Commission has sent out 306 resolutions asking other municipalities and counties to join in the effort.

North Lauderdale Commissioner Rich Moyle said Tuesday that he knows darned well it won't happen. But he said it's the principle and "to stir something up."

"It's based out of frustration with the state Legislature ignoring the cities in South Florida," he said. "They don't really care too much what happens with South Florida with the cities and being able to survive. It's just a statement, I believe -- doing something this huge, it would take a long time."

Tonight the city of Margate takes up the issue. Its resolution calls for "its citizens to sever the ties that said citizens have with the State of Florida and formulate and establish their own state of the Federal Union of the United States."

Said Margate Commissioner Art Bross: "We're sick and tired of it, of Tallahassee sending down unfunded mandates without sending the money and on top of it, then telling us we can't collect the money from our residents. I'm irritated. I really feel this way. I understand their problems up there with the bad times we're having now. I can understand, but we've had recessions before, and if you use your head you come out of it."
Source: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-08may07,0,2428225.story?track=rss

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think this would actually happen.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Florida is the most ****ed up state in the Union. We don't need two of them.

Best answers
One city commission wants this to happen, sure I bet there are other people who feel the same way, but seriously? I'm sure there's a city in every state who could make this argument. I highly doubt Florida will split.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It won't happen.

I live on Long Island, for for years people here have been clamoring to make Long Island a separate state from New York since we pay in tons of money to taxes (some of the highest taxes in the country, actually) and almost none of it comes back to us.

It'll never happen, though, just as Florida will never split in two.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Long Island's property taxes are collected and spent by Suffolk County, and Suffolk County spends them in Suffolk County. The proposed state of Long Island would still have high taxes. What Long Island needs is smaller counties. Nassau county is just as bad, but smaller.

Just my two cents. I used to live there after all, high property taxes made me leave.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kosovo wanted to split from serbia and Flourida wants to split in two. Basicly it's about the same result only diferent ways or means.
Kosovo wanted to secede from Serbia. Florida wants America to have twice as much Florida. If Kosovo had said, "WE WANT YOU TO HAVE EVEN MORE KOSOVO, SERBIA!" rather than, "So yeah...I think we should see other people.", then perhaps you'd be able to equate the two. As it stands, Florida is doing the exact opposite of what Kosovo did. So no, not even close.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's a simple way of putting it.
Kosovo didn't like Serbia,they left.
A part of Flourida doesn't like the other, that part/half left.

They can be diferent in many ways and still similar. Stuff that's identical isn't diferent from any point of view, but stuff thats similar still has some diferent stuff.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

They can be diferent in many ways and still similar. Stuff that's identical isn't diferent from any point of view, but stuff thats similar still has some diferent stuff.
Stop arguing. You're wrong. No one wants to hear about Kosovo anyways in a thread about Florida. Good day sir.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Stalin was angry at the world and decided to do something about it. Mahatma Gandhi was angry at the British Empire and decided to do something about it. It's like they were the same person!

No.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was just making a point, I wasn't the one who draged it out.

And zeonix you're totaly random.And wanna riduculize my post.
No you just stubbornly try to prove you are right.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was just making a point, I wasn't the one who draged it out.

And zeonix you're totaly random.And wanna riduculize my post.
I compared two very, very different people and said they are the same. You compared two very, very different situations and said they are the same.

I fail to see how I was random.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom