Firefox Myths - Myths Regarding The Firefox Web Browser

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As you all know, i'm a big firefox fanboi (using 30+ extensions that are all in use and have 26 themes installed). I'll agree with opti's words, very good way of putting it. Firefox extensions are always a nice addition to the browser. Take fasterfox as one such extension. I'll also stick with my All in wonder sidebar, Deviant art extension, tabbed browser prefs & a whole lot of other extensions I have under my belt.

I, myself am currently playying around with some code atm to make a firefox extension (though a few know of this already, I ask you not to reveal what i'm working on here on the forums).

I find ff to be faster then ie, also when you have fasterfox installed. I'll only use ie wehn I need to, in the form of IE tab or avant. Oper's user interface is something that annoys me to be honest, that's why I neevr really thought of it that much after using it a couple of times before hand. I'd rather have good features in my browser for the main things I use the web for or designed to work with this site or service etc aswell, makes my browsing more enjoyable and faster too.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
What a joke. Use IE if you want, but don't come whining when you get rwnt by something trivial like an image you downloaded....

For the record, I think Firefox is bloated, slow and leaks memory almost as bad as the OS I'm running it on (windows). But I haven't found anything that does the job better... Maybe it's time to try opera again (or links2, even console unix apps are more standards-compliant than IE rofl~)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Never gotten a problem from an image file. Or any file for that matter. More the sites files come from, than the files themselves. Except for all the dumbasses who install Daemon Tools, anyway.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Never gotten a problem from an image file. Or any file for that matter. More the sites files come from, than the files themselves. Except for all the dumbasses who install Daemon Tools, anyway.
I believe he was referring to one of Microsoft's image file formats that allowed the execution of certain code when the file was opened, forming a security hazard. This was quite recent, I believe.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My only beef with firefox is I can't seem to be able to get it to play some *****ded media files, ultimately making ytmnds much less funny.

That's funky. It censored *****ded?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman said:
My only beef with firefox is I can't seem to be able to get it to play some *****ded media files, ultimately making ytmnds much less funny.
There's a very useful extension for FF called 'IE Tab', which allows you to open up any link, and display it inside a tab using IE. It uses IE for that, so it functions exactly like IE would in a normal IE window. I use that for YTMNDs and on rare occasions that other sites don't work as well in FF.

Using this, I can just right-click a ytmnd's link, select 'open in IE Tab', and it'll open up a new tab in Firefox for that page, using Internet Explorer.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How cool. Thanks for that info.

Now I currently have very little beef with firefox. It does what I need it to.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman said:

That's funky. It censored *****ded?
It does that to prevent abuse of the HTML ***** command.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Cucumba said:
It does that to prevent abuse of the HTML ***** command.
>:D

The forums replace < with &lt ; and > with &gt ; (without the spaces), why did you block out the whole word ;o

Oh, and I'm still waiting to see a vendor site that says daemon tools is spyware/adware/a virus or whatever you claim

i always assumed the reason fire fox seems safer than IE is because its newer and less popular than IE so people make less virus's and bugs aimed at fire fox.
Even if that was the case, taking a whole WEEK to patch (a SERIOUS exploit in) a program that millions of people are using is completely unacceptable. Fast code turnaround time is one of the major advantage of open source. :)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just got netscape because I was bored and wanted to see what chanegs had been made to it in the years that I haven't bothered to touch it. It's interface is nice, and it has some aim intergration, plus it has close buttons on each tab, something that I had to get an extension for in firefox that was already in netscape via default. All in all it is okay, but it's also owned by Mozilla (as you'll see in about netscape). I like how the menus are put to the right rather then the left, but netscape isn't just isn't exactly me in some aspects. In the setup it stats that it may sometimes switch to ie's rendering engine automatically too, something i'd have & not have (meh). It also has a sidebar too, and I also had to get an extension for that in firefox, but yet again, meh.

All in all though, when I can always add features I think would be useful I will stick with them and them souly. I have a friend that just uses the normal Mozilla suite, and if it shows to have some unique extensions and I can find the extensions I like on mozilla suite then I might consider switching over to the mozilla suite for the majority of my browsing (I'm also lead to find out if Mozilla really is faster then firefox if that myth is correct, but with all my extensions I use now I probably would not notice any speed differences between the two, but feature wise via default mozilla suite offers more).

Wat

Best answers
Opera is very, very fast. IE is more stable than FF (for the most part).

So what? They don't have extensability. I hate Opera mouse gestures. IE doesn't have gestures.

Extensions & Themes seal the deal for me. I'm not a big fan of IE's tight integration anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom