File sharing views

Best answers
well i was just thinking what is everyone's view on file sharing on the internet for free? (please do not ask for warez or other illegal stuff in this thread this is just a discussion)

my view on it is like this, I ussually download music like every other kid but if i actually like the cd, i do go out and purchase it. But recently i find i like only about 1 or 2 songs off the whole cd so why should i pay $12 for 2 songs? its just not worth it. also for other programs and games, not everyone is rich so i would only buy games/software i really like and know i can afford (nothing like $400 programs is affordable to me) but it all sums down to if i like the product i do support it, same goes for movies. the last thing i point out is if i do get anything, its personal use only, i don't spread it around or anything. so what is everyone elses view?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
file sharing is just a wake up call to greedy big buisness that want to milk us 'not-so-rich' folk out of our money.

i share stuff with my friends all the time. as for the songs thing, 1000% right on that one. movies too, all of that stuff. some people dont go out and buy it if they like it though, which causes the problem for the rest of us. speaking of which, i have to go buy some cd's o_O

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The figures show people feel the same way you do. The riaa points out that sales have gone down about 7% since 2000 but what they fail to mention is that single sales have gone up 160% in the last year. People are being picky now for a resonable reason. A lot of music sucks. I don't know where you get a new cd for 12 bucks because around here the cheapest I can ever find a new cd is 15. Thats the absolute cheapest. I will download a song here or there if its going through my head and if the music is good enough and the band has more than one single on the air than I'll buy the cd. I just barely went out and bought my first cd in like a year because its the first band which has put out some stuff that I like and that I would want to listen to the whole album, not just one song off of it. Its the same for software. I tell my friends the same thing, if its a great game why not spend the money for it just to say thanks to the people that made it. If for nothing else than to say thanks for a kick ass game.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Music, we all know the music scene...

The software scene I find a little bit different, I have pirated games... and I'll probably do it again (feel free to hate), but 90%+ of those games I still went out and bought afterwards. I like to think of it as an "extended demo". If I really enjoy the game, I'll go out and buy it so I can access the multiplayer features. I see nothing wrong with wanting to test a game before I buy it, and sometimes the official-demo doesn't just wet my pallete enough to get me to go out and buy it. It's like test driving a car before you buy it without getting to test all the features, I like a little more than a "free sample".

Best answers
yes we all feel that way about software, if the software is good, and the price is reasonable its worth it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with most of the people here. I download tons of music, and if I really like the band I'll go out and buy the CD. CD's I rarely buy becuase of what's been mentioned above, usually one good song out of an entire CD, only a few bands come out with an entirely good CD (ICP, Linkin Park, ColdPlay). However, I've bought many games and Dvd's becuase many times it's a quality product and worth buying. Allthough like stated in southpark, if we keep downloading songs off the interenet illegally, Artists may only be able to live a semi-glamorous life.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
for music, I would much rather own the CD, and for games, I'd much rather own the game then having to deal with downloading all sorts of crap every time they release a patch.

The one problem is that how expensive new games are, so I usually don't end up getting a game until the price cools down.

I never download games, I don't have the time, but every once in a while if me and some friends have a lan party, we'll install the same game allover and just do a LAN game

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom