Fate or Choice?

Do you think our path of life is layed out before us?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't Know

• Total voters

nZ

Best answers
Hey this a gd topic

Do you think our life is chosen by fate ?

Or do you think we choose it for ourselves?

I'm not too sure really, because I've seen so many things that has happened that's left me in the dust.
I've many things which I could say we're coincidence but then again I can also say that it was "destined" to happen.
I also hate thinking that our life is chosen for us.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can have both. The choices you make lead to you to your pre-determined fate.
Did you really make the choices yourself? Yeah, but they're the choices you were meant to make, and can't be changed.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the idea of someone else telling me what to do is bunk

the idea of "destiny" or "fate" are what weak minded people use as an excuse for stupid decisions

bunk = word of the day :eek:

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it's the choice of fate

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe that all consequences are a direct result of my actions. ("It was meant to be" is weak, and relies too much on faith, and too little on fact.) Nothing more, nothing less.... I control my destiny.... ME.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Look at this way...

1. You do have a fate, but choices can effect the path to this destiny.

2. The decisions in life that you make, can be considered lessons for a higher purpose.

3. I'll get back to you on the "higher purpose" thing. ;)

nZ

Best answers
GhostfaceKillah said:
the idea of someone else telling me what to do is bunk

the idea of "destiny" or "fate" are what weak minded people use as an excuse for stupid decisions

bunk = word of the day :eek:
Erm tbh ive never ever heard someone go "It was destined for me to make that choice" when they make a stupid decisions .

The thing is it's not the choices you make that lead to your fate , every decision ive made theres always something happening that seemed like it was meant to happen.

E.g. I decided not to go basketball training one night, and the next day i heard the place I trained at had a huge explosion, everyone that goes training was injured pretty badly but luckily no one died, to this day no one knows what actually caused the explosion. Weird....you call that fate or lucky? :scared:

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, I do believe in fate. Everyone single of us has the same fate, and it's inevitable, death. Ultimately, we all have to die, nobody can deny this.

However, I don't feel that the path to death is written in stone and we unknowingly follow a pre-determined course in life set by some higher being. I feel that everything I do in life, I do because I chose to, not because some higher being chose it for me.

Best answers
I believe that there are many events in your life that are "meant" to happen, but how you come to those events is completely up to you. From personal experience, alot of things just seem to "fit" too well for it to all be coincidence. Does that make me weak? Well, maybe, but then again it could be said that people who believe that they are completely in control are weak because they are afraid of the idea of someone else being in control of their life, but I don't care if other people believe that, it's completely impossible to prove either way.

Another idea I have, is that we make our own choices, but not at the moment we think. Throughout our life, ideas, viewpoints, routines and skills all build up, and because of this, all of our choices are predetermined by ourselves, but subconciously. Things that happened to you in your life years ago might have an effect on what route you take home tommorow. Maybe it doesn't work to that extent, maybe it's only recent events that subconciously affect your choices, but you get the idea. Interesting evidence to support this idea, are "psychological magicians" like Derren Brown, who just from a brief period of knowing someone, can guess what words people will write in a word association game. Of course I don't think that is proof, but it's based on the same premise. Would this be fate or choice?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its a no from me, the idea is just like is there a god, there is no possible way to prove any of it, its just thoughts, anyone can come up with similar things, its all theorys though, im a solid beliver in getting solid facts and sensible theorys, so fate goes with the the ghost, spirit and god catagory where i'll never look for any facts.

Overall, its another one of those never to be asked questions like the meaning of life, we get two things to go for, we pick one, we choose one, obviously it was choice to pick that one up as you had that option, but there is always the possiblity that you were supposed to choose that, no matter what. its like dropping a ball, theres always the possibility it will not hit the ground, but we wont know how.

Im afraid im very materialistic, i like to belive, but i love to know \o/

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-JLN- said:
I believe that there are many events in your life that are "meant" to happen, but how you come to those events is completely up to you. From personal experience, alot of things just seem to "fit" too well for it to all be coincidence. Does that make me weak? Well, maybe, but then again it could be said that people who believe that they are completely in control are weak because they are afraid of the idea of someone else being in control of their life, but I don't care what other people think, it's completely impossible to prove either way.

Another idea I have, is that we make our own choices, but not at the moment we think. Throughout our life, ideas, viewpoints, routines and skills all build up, and because of this, all of our choices are predetermined by ourselves, but subconciously. Things that happened to you in your life years ago might have an effect on what route you take home tommorow. Maybe it doesn't work to that extent, maybe it's only recent events that subconciously affect your choices, but you get the idea. Interesting evidence to support this idea, are "psychological magicians" like Derren Brown, who just from a brief period of knowing someone, can guess what words people will write in a word association game. Of course I don't think that is proof, but it's based on the same premise. Would this be fate or choice?
I don't know if the "weak" concept was directed at what I said. But I never implied individuals were weak. I implied the theory was weak, because it relies entirely on faith.

Best answers
Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at GFK who said fate is for "weak minded people".

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe life is prerecorded like a video tape. We record history behind us along a straight timeline of things that happen in rapid succession from the beginning until now. That's the human interpretation, but it works that way on a universal level as well. Only one point can exist at any place on a timeline. That isn't a debateable point, what I mean is you can't be two places at once, and people can't change what has already happened. Since two things can't happen at the same time (for example, you can't split into two people and make two decisions simultaniously), I don't see any reason why your decisions shouldn't be recorded ahead of time just like they were in your past. Since you can't go back in time and chance that decision, and that means it is set in stone after you've made it (literally speaking, not in the sense that you can't "correct" an error in judgement by doing something else later), it probably could have be deduced ahead of time.

I figure with a god-like level of mathematical skill you could read the future just be grinding variables. Personalities, knowledge, psychology and human interaction along with non-human interaction and personal reflection all factor in to personal decision making in any and every situation. Theoretically if you knew all of those things about someone well enough you could predetermine his response to any question or situation in any given set of circumstances. I believe life plays out that way. I think it's a huge chain of mathematical variables that are being crunched to determine how you walk, how you talk, what decisions you make, what you like, who you fall in love with, and the path your life is taking. Just because we can't see how a situation is going to play out doesn't mean it isn't predetermined.

Bolteh2

B
no, because if i commit suicide right now, then im gone, alltho i never really wanted to die.. so if i commit suicide, i changed paths...

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I'd figure that as just being your personality causing you to kill yourself. You wouldn't just kill yourself randomly, if you did it you'd have a reason, even if that reason was as superficial as to prove me wrong.

Bolteh2

B
dunno.. my reason would be: "proving that life isnt about a path.. but about choises"

Best answers
Do it then. Commit suicide. It's not going to happen. You can say you will, just as I can say that I'm going to walk downstairs, smack my parents in the face and take their money, but it's not going to happen (don't do it out of spite now:p)

Boyster said pretty much what I was trying to say in my second point, but I can't decide whether that would be fate or choice. On one hand, it's ourselves that are making the choices, even if on a subconcious level, on the other hand, it would mean that we aren't in control of those choices...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
he wont commit suicide because its common sense, not because of fate... living is [usually] better than death...

Bolteh2

B
no, because its not my intention to commit suicide atm..

just saying that it (the path) could be changed if someone wishes to do so

Best answers
What's physically possible and what's mentally possible are two completely different things. Physically, it would be quite easy to pick up a knife and stab your self in the neck or whatever, but you already said, your intention is not to commit suicide at the moment, so mentally, it's not really possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom