ESF: The Complete Player

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒน Regular Rosรฉ
Best answers
The developers didnt fix anything at all for years, they are doing it now with the release of esf final and the exploit seems to be adressed in it.

Swag
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
The developers didnt fix anything at all for years, they are doing it now with the release of esf final and the exploit seems to be adressed in it.
I am aware of that, the current one is actually a beta (1.2.3 beta), but they didn't fix it in the beta which is the only available version that's stable really.

NOT IN THE MANGAโ„ข
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Pretty sure it was intended for beams to have a bigger role, pretty sure advanced melee was supposed to have a role but it's the players creating the meta.
Players can create whatever meta they want. Hell, I myself abused infinite ground hits to death back in the day. Not in duels, though, because I was always aware of how ****ed up and unfair infinite hit exploiting is. Come to think of it, why isn't infinite ground hits allowed, but ceiling ones are? Because one is harder to perform than the other? Do you really not see the issue? It makes no difference for the victim as long as the attacker knows how to do it! And avoiding ground hits is the same as avoiding ceiling hits as far as skill is involved, yet they're not allowed? Why not allow something that according to you depends solely on skill and is in no way abusable?

The developers not fixing that for years means that it'll probably become part of the game and it has. To me it's thinking outside the box and making the most of what you have, it's not a malicious exploit (unfortunately a lot of them exist, and these are frowned upon unlike this one).
It is a malicious exploit because it deals way too much damage as long as you know how to perform it. I'm not saying there's no skill involved in successfully performing it, I'm saying it's unfair for the victim. Do you honestly believe that the devs didn't fix it because they thought it's fine? Pretty sure they were done with 1.2.3 (especially since such exploits weren't discovered at the beginning) and moved on to 1.3 by the time fixes were needed. I mean, there's this +use thing (which is a counter-exploit) and it was only removed in ESFF, among other things (no more crashing into sky, etc.).

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Players can create whatever meta they want. Hell, I myself abused infinite ground hits to death back in the day. Not in duels, though, because I was always aware of how ****ed up and unfair infinite hit exploiting is. Come to think of it, why isn't infinite ground hits allowed, but ceiling ones are? Because one is harder to perform than the other? Do you really not see the issue? It makes no difference for the victim as long as the attacker knows how to do it! And avoiding ground hits is the same as avoiding ceiling hits as far as skill is involved, yet they're not allowed? Why not allow something that according to you depends solely on skill and is in no way abusable?

It is a malicious exploit because it deals way too much damage as long as you know how to perform it. I'm not saying there's no skill involved in successfully performing it, I'm saying it's unfair for the victim. Do you honestly believe that the devs didn't fix it because they thought it's fine? Pretty sure they were done with 1.2.3 (especially since such exploits weren't discovered at the beginning) and moved on to 1.3 by the time fixes were needed. I mean, there's this +use thing (which is a counter-exploit) and it was only removed in ESFF, among other things (no more crashing into sky, etc.).
Oh you still crash in to the sky. But the maps are so large now that it isnt really an issue ^^;

That and the ability for instant recovery at the players whim. Can really mess with the attackers timing.

NOT IN THE MANGAโ„ข
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh you still crash in to the sky.
... Why? It should be super easy to fix. Hell, I have fixed it in 1.2.3 via AMXX plugin (adding transparent "env_model" entities ("walls") 1 unit closer than the actual map boundaries. The result was great (similar to players being sent into trees): they would just roll until they recover, and 2-hit limit would still apply.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
env_models dont work no more due to the new map format.

Also you can see the sky. When you get close enough it becomes visible indicating for you to GTFO. The visibility range is far enough for you to not hit it from a single melee attack chain.

Last edited:
Swag
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers

I am not defending that ground hits shouldn't be allowed btw. I think it's because the damage multiplies so much on the ground, not sure. Also isn't it impossible to do more than 2 if the enemy recovers? Not sure as I don't even try to do it.

And yea I think the size & indicators of 1.3 maps will make ceiling hits almost completely leave the meta, if not completely.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
๐ŸŒ  Staff
Best answers
As Grega said, there is a visible indicator once you get near a map boundary. If you ignore that and get smashed into it..again your fault for not paying attention for your environment

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
As Grega said, there is a visible indicator once you get near a map boundary. If you ignore that and get smashed into it..again your fault for not paying attention for your environment
Again the distance where the area becomes visible (and it is visible during the day and night time in maps) to the actual border is about the height of the 1.2.3 cell games map. So if you do get ceeling hit, its on you this time. That said you can still prevent it using instant recovery.

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
instant recovery is one possibility... getting smashed into the ceiling is another... and yet theres one more thing you can do :)

overall, that 1.2.3 ceiling exploit is no longer a guaranteed combo any more :)

NOT IN THE MANGAโ„ข
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That's not the point. Crashing into nothing makes no ******* sense.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
๐ŸŒ  Staff
Best answers
There you go...a map boundary isn't nothing...it's a map boundary. And unlike ESF 1.2.3 the visible map doesn't end there. It's an energy barrier wich restricts the playable area
And yes it is a point. When you are in a cage fight and get yourself in a corner so you can't run away, are you gonna call the ref and say "I didn't watch where i am so he shouldn't be allowed to punch me because i can't get away"

NOT IN THE MANGAโ„ข
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Not sure if you understood correctly. Crashing, as in, being thrown into "nothing" as if it's actual terrain, and receiving damage from that. Visually, it makes no sense. You should just stop/slide against the boundary if you fly/get thrown there.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
Theres a limitation rule for roof hits, if both players agree to either:

1.No ceiling hits
2.3 max
3.Unlimited

Then its fair and nobody is getting ****ed over. Its a bug exploit but its always been an optional part of the duel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom