ESF: The Complete Player

Warmachine
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
After a decade of playing ESF, together with Sailent, we decided to leave something good after us, because we deeply believe this game deserves it. It's a game where I met the most interesting people on the internet, some of them even in real life.
First time I discovered and started playing ESF was somewhere in 2006. I was 11 years old then. I recently turned 21 - that's just crazy how fast time flies.
I played a lot of games back in the day but in terms of skills none was as good as ESF 1.2.3 is (maybe GunZ or CPMA).
Games are boring nowadays (at least for me) and I rarely play. Life is different now, but once in a while we all meet in the game again and that's why this game and community is so great.

[video=youtube;TcRg9y_ghC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcRg9y_ghC0[/video]

Last edited:
NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You were 13 in 2006, but 21 in 2016? I LOL'd how the first thing we see in the video is the infinite ceiling hitting abuse where the opponent has no way of preventing that whatsoever.

Last edited:
Warmachine
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You were 13 in 2006, but 21 in 2016? I LOL'd how the first thing we see in the video is the infinite ceiling hitting abuse where the opponent has no way of preventing that whatsoever.

Lol, good catch there, no idea what I was thinking about, i wrote that 2fast :laff: About ceiling stuff - usually when we play, we don't use them. There are rules we have to follow, such as 3 hits max from the ceiling, except wall hits, because they're harder so it's acceptable. It's just a timing/reflex/reaction showcase, only for the video :)

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
they're harder so it's acceptable.
That's the biggest issue with EU-and-whatnot rules. You only consider how hard is the offense, but you do not consider the fact that the opponent HAS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY OF RECOVERING FROM THAT. It cannot be overcome by timing/reflex/reaction at all!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My fav rules have allways been 1 hit on the ground max and no juggling off the skybox, only off the terrain.

Warmachine
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
That's the biggest issue with EU-and-whatnot rules. You only consider how hard is the offense, but you do not consider the fact that the opponent HAS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY OF RECOVERING FROM THAT. It cannot be overcome by timing/reflex/reaction at all!

You're absolutely right about opponent not having the way to recover from wall-hits, for example. There is a simple solution for that - don't get caught. Wall hits don't happen very often in duels, a lot of stuff in the game is improvised (especially if you play against someone on your level). When someone has more experience than the other player, is skilled and lures the other one into wall-hits by flying near them, then you have to pay for your mistakes, because you do what your opponent wants you to do. If you're playing against someone very experienced and good, you might not even notice that he does that. You do what you shouldn't, you do what your opponent wants you to do - you have to pay for your mistakes. You see, our video is called "complete player" but in the game, no matter how good you are and how many people you own in the game, you always learn.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is a simple solution for that - don't get caught.
Are you being serious here? How is getting caught once = death by glitch abuse a valid way of playing? I don't give two shits about how difficult it is for my opponent to do that, the problem is that he CAN do that, and is ALLOWED TO. You show true skill by catching the opponent and not getting caught as much, over and over again; not by catching them once and then continuing to punish them because the game won't allow them to fight back.

Last edited:
Warmachine
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Are you being serious here? How is getting caught once = death by glitch abuse a valid way of playing? I don't give two shits about how difficult it is for my opponent to do that, the problem is that he CAN do that, and is ALLOWED TO. You show true skill by catching the opponent and not getting caught as much, over and over again; not by catching them once and then continuing to punish them because the game won't allow them to fight back.

And that's exactly what we do. No one is abusing anything and wall-hits rarely happen (very). What I meant was that if someone does everything to lure you into wall just to abuse them (which is extremely stupid anyway) you don't do that. You either lure him away or don't play the guy at all and play someone who CAN actually play :)

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's allowed because it happens rarely? Who's the retard that invented the rules?

Yes, you can somewhat reduce the chance of getting glitched into walls or ceiling by not going near them, but the fact that glitching is allowed in the rules speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Best answers
Wall/ceiling bouncing off the skybox doesn't do anything for me, I'd rather watch two really bad players duel than that.

Best answers
Hlev don't be so butt hurt if you never could do them :D This isn't a discussion about ceiling hits.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hlev don't be so butt hurt if you never could do them :D This isn't a discussion about ceiling hits.
Meh personally i could do wall hits, but it never feelt good doing them. Same for ground hits. It just didnt feel right. Call it my personal competitive pride, but i avoided them all the time.

Warmachine
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If someone does not understand the meaning of this clip then I totally understand. I expected this. I am open to any comments, especially negative ones.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You must be stupid as **** if you believe I'm against it only because I couldn't do it myself (I could do it just fine though).

But hey, let's keep the idiocy around, it keeps this forum alive.

Last edited:
Warmachine
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You must be stupid as **** if you believe I'm against it only because I couldn't do it myself (I could do it just fine though).

But hey, let's keep the idiocy around, it keeps this forum alive.

You're getting mad for no reason whatsover ; )

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Good job Tiny, it takes good timing and direction to do what you and all the other pros do. I'm still working on it, however! I'm partly agreeing with HleV in what he says about how easily this can turn the tide of a duel even if you're up against the best player in the game all you would have to do is abuse ceiling and wall hits and it can easily turn the favour in ANY duel regardless of skill. Its a matter of who gets them in first. (as it goes for any other hit really)

As you say also, there is a max 3 limit or whatever rules are in place for ground wall and ceiling hits and that's what makes it fair. (besides scripts but lets not get into that :) )

This video is a showcase, so what m8?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🥉Legacy Semifinalist
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
impressive how you keep the skill...
i'm rusty right now and not even close at that speed and control with the aim

and about ceilling hits... i don't see the problem cus you can choose your rules in battle, because you agree if you want unlimited hits, 3 hits max, 2 hits in the air and 1 rolling, beams or whatever you want
you could change unlimited hits for using kameha and it could be fine right? cus no bugs

btw good video

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're getting mad for no reason whatsover ; )
More like he's (and apparently you, too) being stupid for no reason whatsoever and I'm just wasting my time on the internet pointing that out lol

Warmachine
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
More like he's (and apparently you, too) being stupid for no reason whatsoever and I'm just wasting my time on the internet pointing that out lol
Then get out ;)

Best answers
Nice video! It really brings me back to the age when ESF was really competitive. About the ceiling hits. Call me weird, stupid or whatever but I agree with TinyMe. You just try not to get caught... And there are plenty of ways to avoid that(funny thing is I never really learned to do them properly I couldn't connect them but I found really clever ways to dodge and connect them with other attacks)t. But whatever it's no use in arguing about the rules every region plays it their way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom