ESF Mac, Linux Version (Suggestion)

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
As you guys know Half-Life 1 was ported to Mac & Linux, i was wondering if the ESF Team world support a Mac and Linux ESF version in the future. and if not why? and it would be nice of having a little more freedom on playing it on any Operating System.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
True, it'd be ideal, but Mac and Linux both offer radically different ways of thinking, in terms of programming.

It would sap far too many resources, that we need to develop a version on any OS! Besides, on Mac and Linux, you can grab Virtual Box and load a Windows OS on there.

I don't honestly think you quite understand how much work that would actually be. First, let's consider the resources required to run. For Valve, this is easier, because they had direct access to the Half Life source code. However, the resources that the ESF Team need would be just nigh of impossible to get on Windows. E.g, the C++ Redist package. That would indeed be difficult to find a way to get around it. However all Valve needs to do is to grab the resources they need and wrap it up into a neat little DLL that only they can reasonably access.

Next, let's consider how much effort would be put in. Like I said, Valve have to do relatively little work in order to get a working Mac/Linux port. The ESF Team would first have to attempt to decipher considerable amounts of machine code and what not, and for what purpose?

It would be worth it to get a Linux build, only because Linux is useful for servers. For Mac - I don't think so.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
True, it'd be ideal, but Mac and Linux both offer radically different ways of thinking, in terms of programming.
No. They don't. You are also not a spokesperson for ESF, so please tone it down a bit.

The main problem with OS X is getting a dev system. I guess none of the core developers have that. As for Linux, this part's easier. Still, if it's going to happen, it will be after the Windows release. Tying (human) resources into this just isn't possible until then.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can all the third party stuff that was implemented into ESFF even support those platforms?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can all the third party stuff that was implemented into ESFF even support those platforms?
As far as i know, no. There are some things that are not fully Open GL based, and as such, wont work with Linux or MacOS X

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
No. They don't. You are also not a spokesperson for ESF, so please tone it down a bit.

The main problem with OS X is getting a dev system. I guess none of the core developers have that. As for Linux, this part's easier. Still, if it's going to happen, it will be after the Windows release. Tying (human) resources into this just isn't possible until then.
Yes of course after the windows release :), well a cheaper way on getting a OS X System is a Hackintosh but if it really need i could donate towards this as i am rather keen on having esf on OS X as i really only use my PC for websurfing, and i understand the reasons that the ESF-Team won't probably do this is spending another $699 on a machine and relearning everything for OS X but i can tell it would be worth the effort in the end :)

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Naturally, you'd need a real Mac. Unfortunately, donations are a no-go. So a Mac version will most likely not be coming. Sorry. If you want ESF on a Mac, install Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom