ESF is making all my comp games **** up in fps.

Best answers
Ok like. Everytime i install esf now all my games on my comp including esf, Get FPS spikes. I know what your thinking probably because im seeing alot of stuff on screen at one time. Well its not that. I would start a game in my own server no one in there not bots or anything just me. I will look at the wall and let it sit there. I get like 80 - 100 fps in game but, it will drop to 10 fps. I do not know why and its making my gaming on the comp like hell. Someone tell me why does this happen?

Also questions to come that will be answered.
1. Am i running in software mode?
No.
2. Am i running Direct3d?
No
3. Is Vsync off?
yes
4. Is my comp crappy?
No
5. Whats my video card?
Ge Force 4 MMX

Best answers
Uhh...get the newest drivers? And try leaving vsync on, that could be the problem.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He has the newest driver or else he can't play OpenGL (that was my problem X_x). You tried configuring your autoexec?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GF4MX, heh ?

recommend things:
Resolution: 1024*786
Video Mode: OpenGL
AA: 0x
Antistrope Filtering: Off
VSync: doen't matter (i would turn if off)
another Detonator setting: aggressive

try these settings and report again
PS: there's a fps thread in help section

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Everytime i install esf now all my games on my comp including esf, Get FPS spikes.
First thing id do is check how full my harddrive was and if its fragmented.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I've found DEfragmenting your hard drive does little speed wise.

Vsync really doesn't do anything particularly useful. It just tells the program to wait until the vertical blanking period is over before drawing the next frame. It's supposed to fix tearing and other graphical anomalies.

Another thing that causes weird performance is having a LOT of background programs open, Daemon tools, Norton, MSN Messenger, AIM, etc. If you don't have a lot of ram (256 megs or less nowadays), those programs will take up a significant portion of it. If the game you're trying to run requires more ram than is available, it will start writing to the paging file, which is a section of your hard drive set aside to act as ram. (the paging file is uber slow compared to ram, even on SCSI drives)

If you are critically low on hard drive space, that would affect performance alot, as well.

I would say, get the latest Detonator drivers ( http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp ), and make sure you don't have alot of background programs running.

Also, in case you run any of those other games in Direct3d, make sure your DirectX is up to date. http://microsoft.com/directx/default.asp

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
what do you mean by saying Detonator?
( BTW - I have same problem sometimes , it occures randomaly...
100-80 FPS and then BOOM! 20 and then 6-14...
there are no programs in the BG, not at all! just HL )

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey my friend has that problem!Like I go to him and (he plays CS alot) when he starts a server with bots or anything hes game goes very slow and has that u have.And I say 2 him "HEH your comp is bad buy new 1" and he says 2 me "Your wrong evil one its a mater of time when it stops like 5-10 minutes" and then I stay shuted up without any words in my mouth.So wait and tell us if your funked problem steel does that!

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
nVidia refers to their bundle of graphics drivers as "Detonator drivers". It's just a name.

By the way, if you are basing your FPS count off of net_graph, don't. It's not accurate. There is no FPS limit in games as net_graph would have you believe.

Try bringing down the console and typing "timerefresh" to get an accurate reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom