err, new deathball i guess

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this lil project was more or less just me fiddling around with the fire effects within 3dstudio max, as I had seen Logan do over at BTL, and I figured since I had max installed ANYWAYS id give it a shot.

this was my first sprite,.... ever. and ive only tested it ingame once, so there may be bugs i dont know about

http://rapidshare.de/files/17028261/deathball.rar.html

the original image looked like this

and ingame it looks about the same, just a little less colorful (read below) and a little blurry (since it had to stretch a good bit)

the original image was WAY WAY too bright ingame, so i had to lower its brightness a tad, and though it made it look like crap in imageready, it did make it look alright ingame (just took a huge bite out of its saturation =\)

all it is is a simple red volumetric light with a good amount of noise applied and a fireball placed in front of it,

i had set it up to render every 5th frame out of 100, and wound up chopping the last 8 off of it cuz for some reason it started playing backwards after the 12th frame, and it lookd awkward.

i took those images and compiled that gif image up there, then took that gif and made a sprite out of it. then had to lower its brightness and all,

overall though, with those 2 setbacks it still took me less than an hour to create,

im fairly happy with the outcome, but meh what do i know, im not a spriter =P

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
;o I think it looks pretty secksi, actually, not half bad for a first sprite. :3

;o maybe you could do an animated genball thinger that kinda flows?

Best answers
The sprite is awesome but you're right it doesn't look to good ingame. The bright white spot in the middle shows ingame because it's not opaque. However, the contrasting dark reddish orange is not too visible ingame because the black in the sprite becomes transparent ingame and the opacity on the orange is higher making it somewhat transparent. So the only thing I can think of is to make the spots on the sprite lighter and not complete black or around the orange where ever the pure black is by there and make the orange more solid. I can't really explain it too well but I did the best I could with my knowledge of sprites which isn't very much... I hope it helps even a little.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
try the sprite i hosted up there ingame, it looks better (ingame at least) than the shot i posted over at the BTL forums which is what im going to assume your talking about

(since you just copied and pasted your post from over there after all),

Best answers
Yeah I was talking about the pic you posted at BTL... I can't look at it ingame though because I'm not at home and this comp doesn't have ESF or even HL for that matter. It might have just been the angle you took the picture from though.. can you post a few more pics so I can see the rest of it ingame?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the animations nice but it looks like you got lazy because the outside doesnt move. the outer edge just sits there and looks kind of bleh.

Best answers
Are you going to start spriting now, Nuttzy? If you are and this isn't a one night stand then I request a Spirit Bomb next. Eh? Good job on the animation though.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Wow, i totally agree. That looks really great, even awesome! I mean, this is the best Deathball I've seen so far. Great work, even though i haven't seen it in game just yet. But i would love to see more sprites from you Nuttzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom