Encarta Encyclopedia... Is it worth it?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm debating if I should buy the latest Encarta Encyclopedia since I tend to always look up stuff on Wikipedia though Encarta Encycyclopedia seems to be more resourceful. The only problem I have with it is that they have a new version every year, plus the updates for each month of that year while Wikipedia is updated in a daily basis.

So what's the verdict? Buy or no buy?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
www.google.com

All the encyclopedia you'll ever need. Don't waste your money.

edit: On another note, the google toolbar doesn't recognize google as a word o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
www.google.com

edit: On another note, the google toolbar doesn't recognize google as a word o_O

if you want to dig through mountains of junk to try and reach some real, unbiased facts.

Encarta has everything you will ever need to know about anything, and from what ive seen its very detailed and unbiased. which in my opinion, makes it worth it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally I'd just stick to using Wikipedia or search engines rather then waste money on Encarta.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
knowing wikipedia can be edited by anyone?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
There's always search engines as well should people start to tamper with wikipedia articles.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
'
And if you fill some bull**** it in, you will be caught for vandalism.

I already tried it twice.

Best answers
Sub said:
www.google.com

That's because Google isn't a word. If you're thinking of the number, that's spelt 'googol'.

Personally, I'd just use Wikipedia. :/ Stopped using Encarta long ago.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Agreed, just use Wikipedia. It's free, and it has tons of information on basically anything. I mean, any word you ever hear in your life you can just write it on wikipedia and you will find out everything there is to know about it.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It depends on how you use your resources. If you're just considering Encarta for general interest research, I'd say just stick to using Wikipedia. It contains more than enough info to satiate one's curiosity about a subject.

However, if you're looking at something that you plan to use for scholarly purposes, it is useful to note that a lot of profs at post-secondary institutes (colleges and universities) tend to shy away from using Wikipedia since it is not a peer-reviewed resource. Even then, Encarta might still be a little too general, but might be preferred over Wikipedia.

However, I digress. If your interests are purely personal, I'd recommend sticking to Wikipedia.

Best answers
Wikipedia is fine for personal use. However, if your looking to get sources for a report, do not use it. My college does not allow the use of Wikipedia. I always go to the local library to use the enclyclopedia there. Besides, they have a lot more selections as far as encyclopedias go.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you know how to use Google, you don't need Encarta. And you can always double check info you find on the internet. And I think a visit to the library is cheaper and equally as effective as Encarta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom