Dubbed Vs. Subbed

Best answers
Has anyone seen the Db DbZ and DbGt sereis subbed? I've seen almost all of the series subbed...like it better than what Funimation created...dubbing is awful, to me that is. Though sometimes dubbed anime can be good...almost...but the script,the original script, is always changed. This is what i dont like...i like the original.
What do you like more Dubbed Or Subbed?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Of course subbed, FUNimation really did a number on DBZ.
I haven't seen the entire series subbed, but I've seen a large part of it.
Translation is supposed to be just that, they should have never changed as much as they did.

Best answers
Pfffft. It depends. Both are good. People always complain that Dubs are always messing up the anime.
But like I said, Any will do. But I prefer the sub if the voice acting is horrible in the dub.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
subs all the way.... dbz dubbed sounds like a kids program

Best answers
I think I would like them equally if FUNi didn't **** up the dubbed script and edit it so much. Subbed is better IMO

Orz

Best answers
Funimation made a mess out of DBZ. They added their own synthesized music, they changed the script (in some parts they changed it so much it meant the opposite of what it really intended), added humor and references that were out of date and lame 20 years ago, and assigned a cast of voice actors that would make a group of choir-singing zombies seem talented.

They censored, butchered and mutilated the Saiyan Saga beyond belief, carried this on into the Namek Saga, then bizzarely dropped a lot of their censorship for Android Saga and onwards <i>but still changed the script and cut scenes seemingly at random.</i> A scene where #20 sticks his hand through Yamcha's chest is cut. The scene where #17 sticks his hand through #20's chest is left in.

Also, Funimation is not only too cheap to hire trained voice actors, they don't even hire enough voice actors. One actor plays three characters and is rumoured to also be the voice of more. Unlike the talented Goku/Gohan/Goten voice actor of Japan, however, the voice of 'Piccolo' and 'Vegeta' can't even make his characters sound different or less like chain smokers. I've actually heard of people who like Vegeta's Funi voice. He sounds like he's choking to death on something.

They cut out all the suspense and drawn-out moments so that the show is 'faster' and more 'action paced', making character deaths which are supposed to be emotional - like Piccolo - into just another fatality, ignore it, it only happened for a split second so forget about it and move on. They will not allow there to be blood that is seen 'spurting' from characer, but blood that is 'dripping' is okay. They edit out cigarettes and alcohol. They replace cursing with "Oh my gosh" and "Great Galaxies!" They give King Kai the voice of a snuffling warthog with an IQ lower than room temperature, and they made Tien call himself the "three-eyed cowboy". They turned the great Lord Frieza into a female-voiced pansy who flirts with Goku. Hell, they even made Krillin say "Mondo cool", and the Japanese Krillin is not actually annoying, in fact he's kind of endearing. When Frieza blows him up, you don't cheer and say "Yes! Krillin is dead! No more obscure pop-culture references!"

To misquote Piccolo and Krillin: "Man, that dub series is toast!" "Yeah... more like BURNT toast."

Best answers
when it comes to dbz i say dubbed, anything else i go with subbed all the way, unless im in the mood for a few laughs

Best answers
subbed,nothing beats the original

and assigned a cast of voice actors that would make a group of choir-singing zombies seem talented.
LOL

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Orz said:
Also, Funimation is not only too cheap to hire trained voice actors, they don't even hire enough voice actors. One actor plays three characters and is rumoured to also be the voice of more. "
Dont know much do ya? There called voice actors for a reason, they can play more then one part, take the simpons for example, afew people play more then one person, In fact the only that doesent is the the one who plays Liza, thats what a voice actor does, plays voices. :rolleyes:

also stop it with the funi bashing, its not there fault they have to live by usa cenership laws, If the usa let people say swear words or show blood/nudity, then funi would not of cut it out.

As for the topic, I like both, more better subs then dubs thou

Orz

Best answers
...they're called "voice actors" because they're talented at adapting their voices and using them to create a convincing character, yes. That's exactly why Funimation's actors don't count.

YOU are the one who doesn't know much. There is no censorship law against using the word "kill", "die", or "death", but Funimation cut out all those terms. There is no law against speaking of Heaven or Hell, but Funimation cut out all references and replaced them with "the next dimension". There is no law against smoking and drinking on cartoons, but Funimation cut those out too. There is no law against an ungodly amount of things Funimation cuts, but they do it <i>because they can.</i>

Don't pin the ignorant label on me until you're sure it can't stick to you as well.

Edit: More examples of censorship, because I am both really angry and disappointed with you, Yokie...

They cut Gohan's tears from the first scene in which Raditz appears. His tears are kept in afterwards.
When killing people, Nappa and Vegeta always add a sentence saying how they "got away" or "evacuated" or "used their parachutes", even though it was clear that they died. Vegeta says "It's a good thing it's Sunday and those buildings will be empty!"
The bodies of those killed by the Saiyans vanish. In the Japanese version, they remain there.
When Piccolo is killed in the Japanese version it's a very dramatic moment. Funimation dubbed through it as quickly as they could to move on to the action.
In the Japanese version, Guldo's body is decapitated and left on the ground. In the Funimation dub, his body vanishes - however, later on you can see Guldo's corpse on the ground again when Dende finds the bodies.
They cut out some lines in the show and leave in the replies to the lines they cut out.
They gave Frieza a female as a voice actor. Not in the same way that Goku has a female voice actor in Japan - to show that he's an innocent child at heart - and I should add that they also made him homosexual. They gave him lines like "Whatever turns you on, big boy" and "We could have been so good together." Isn't this the OPPOSITE of censoring? Why did they ADD homosexual lines for Frieza?
They inexplicably censor blood in some parts, leave it in in others, and have a mixture of censored and uncensored blood in scenes. Blood is not 'illegal' under US laws.
In the first two sagas, all mention of the term "death" is not allowed, nor are MILD curse words like "hell" and "damn". Those are allowed by USA laws, Yokie, I'm sure. Instead they are replaced with ancient curse words that haven't been used since the Emancipation Proclamation.
They change the reason for Vegeta turning Super Saiyan and why he was truly possessed by Babidi. How the hell is this abiding to the laws of USA censorship, and not them just being idiots?

You may not care about this and decide to stick with your inane "Funimation is just trying to get along in a cruel, unhelpful world" line, but if you do that's none of my business. But you damn well better not tell me I know nothing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Reusing a voice actor is fine. Reusing a voice actor to give several characters in different animes the EXACT SAME VOICE is not fine.

The animes cartoon network shows at inexplicably late hours at horrendously inconvenient times of the week are the best. They allow some swearing, and PLENTY of blood and other references(jesus, seen Blue Gender anyone? I'd say that's a lot for CN at least.)

I have no idea why they went nazi on DBZ. But you gotta remember...Sailor Moon for example was there before. They changed the name of practically every character (perhaps simply every character?) in the show for the simple reason I guess that "Americans can't take these Japanese names!" Not that it matters. That show was drivel on either plate you serve it. :S

I understand some censorship of DBZ, I mean its in the middle of the day on a network that shows Scooby Doo 24/7. So transitioning from "Oh Daffy, you SO CRAZY" to "blam smack kapow oh god my arm" is a little strange. But yeah... watering down an anime is one thing, but throwing it into the friggin ocean is another. And that's what they did.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Orz said:
...they're called "voice actors" because they're talented at adapting their voices and using them to create a convincing character, yes. That's exactly why Funimation's actors don't count.

YOU are the one who doesn't know much. There is no censorship law against using the word "kill", "die", or "death", but Funimation cut out all those terms. There is no law against speaking of Heaven or Hell, but Funimation cut out all references and replaced them with "the next dimension". There is no law against smoking and drinking on cartoons, but Funimation cut those out too. There is no law against an ungodly amount of things Funimation cuts, but they do it <i>because they can.</i>

Don't pin the ignorant label on me until you're sure it can't stick to you as well.

Edit: More examples of censorship, because I am both really angry and disappointed with you, Yokie...

You may not care about this and decide to stick with your inane "Funimation is just trying to get along in a cruel, unhelpful world" line, but if you do that's none of my business. But you damn well better not tell me I know nothing.

Oops I made you cry, rant, and scream.

If you had bothered to read my last post, you would see I did not say usa censer laws stop funi from useing the words "Death" and "die" etc etc, Yes Funi prettyed up dbz for children, but not everything they did was up to them, like I said, they took out blood nudity and swearing cus of laws, If you wish to proove me wrong, try reading my post 1st cus I did not say anything like "Funimation is just trying to get along in a cruel, unhelpful world"

Funi did not cut things "because they can" they cut them cus they "Wanted to show it on a kids channel, for kids" Is much as it may come as a shock to you, they cut it for a reason not just for fun and to annoy people, more people think dbz is a usa cartoon then an anime, they are not trying to please anime fanbase, since they are allready downloading the subed verson, there trying to air it for English specking world.

So to end this, You can not only have the ignorant label pined on you for not reading my post, you can also have it cus you tryed to proove me wrong of something I never said. Silly Silly.

edit: You say they made people homosexual in dbz since they say "Happy" Things as I will put it, I dont like homosexual bashing, you dont know anything about them so dont label them with crappy sterotypes mmk? Oh yes and the "You better not tell me I know nothing" also silly, unless you plan on comeing over and beating me up, grow up and stop having a childish temper

Orz

Best answers
Okay, firstly, to say I am homophobic just because I am against Frieza being made homosexual is just pathetic. You're trying to imply that I'm the spoiled child here, and yet you say things like that?

I did not say they made PEOPLE homosexual, I said they made FRIEZA homosexual, and he is not like this in the Japanese version. They should be translating it, not modifying it! And for it to be suitable for children's viewing, it shouldn't have any sexuality AT ALL.

<b>Your quote:</b>
<i>
also stop it with the funi bashing, its not there fault they have to live by usa cenership laws, If the usa let people say swear words or show blood/nudity, then funi would not of cut it out.
</i>

None of your reply made sense in light of what you said originally. I'm apparently ignorant for replying to exactly what you said. You said they changed it for POSITIVE REASONS. I am saying that they did not censor it in positive ways, they changed it in pointless mystifying ways! What the hell is your problem, Yokie?

I read your damn post, don't call me "ignorant" for not reading it. You were DEFENDING Funimation without a single positive argument. I gave you reasons why not, and your sole reply was "I didn't say that! You're stupid!"

You said that I didn't know what I was talking and failed to realise that is why I am so angry, and so you made your trite comment about making me 'cry'. You amaze me. You are the first person I've met on these forums that I truly dislike. I don't make enemies easily - my first encounter with SailorAlea we argued like schoolchildren, now we're friends. But for you to reply in this consistently smug fashion with your ludicrous remarks is frankly appalling.

The fact that you call me the child for expressing an opinion as to what this thread is about, the fact that you tell me not to "bash Funimation" for their obvious flaws, and saying <i>Oh yes and the "You better not tell me I know nothing" also silly, unless you plan on comeing over and beating me up, grow up and stop having a childish temper</i> is the final straw.

A thread is not a place for this sort of discussion, so I will end it with this comment. Anything you say from now on I will ignore entirely. If I didn't have to reclarify my point, which is that the dubbed version is much worse than good, I would have sent this as a private message. But I think it also reinforces my dislike for the dubbing, and so fits.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
And with that, I hope this argument ends, please take this somewhere else folks.

Best answers
Hahah magus your sig suprised me! hahahaha. anyway ya it doesnt really matter. Subbed or dubbed is fine. As long as the dubbed is with some GREAT voice actors that acutally FIT the character. Like an old lady plays Goku in da Jap version and that was great. Cuz for some reason she fit Goku. Most of the Jap voice actors are Women. POWER TO THE WOMEN!!!!! I HATE MEN!!!! ;) So if your gonna dub it atleast get it with some great voice actors that actually fit the characters. :D :yes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I could sit here and lick funis pale ass but im not going to, you dont like funi, I dont mind, personally I think dbz is **** and so I dont plan on siting here fighting with you about the fact its not, or that funi are not, blah blah blah, the fact you took alot of what I said and took it out of context, something you then said *I* did to you is reason enough for me not to make any more posts on the subject, as it seems I will get into an endless fight, that you started, as all did is say Funi are not that bad, then say voice actors sometimes do more then one voice, then you start up all this damn crap, I dont give a **** about funi, or about prooveing anything to you, so get off your ego trip and shh up.

Oh just a little bit to show you where you took what I said out of context.

"Okay, firstly, to say I am homophobic just because I am against Frieza being made homosexual is just pathetic. You're trying to imply that I'm the spoiled child here, and yet you say things like that?"

I never said you was a homophobic, and I never said you where a spoiled child. :rolleyes:

I did not call you a child for "expressing an opinion" I called you a child since you threatend me with "You better not tell me I know nothing"

Saying "A thread is not a place for this sort of discussion" At the END of your post is pretty ironic by the way, maybe if you had just said that and not 3 pages worth of endless dribble, then it might not looked so stupid, Ah and when we both get warnings for this, I hope you dont mind, cus I dont really dont care.

Orz

Best answers
Please, Yokie. I sent you a private message about this, let's seriously stop it here, okay? For a start, you're seriously misunderstanding a lot of what I'm saying, and I don't want this to get any uglier than it is.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was posting that as you sent me the pm, therefor I did not see it, and no im not deleteing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom