DS or PSP

Best answers
Ok, im thinking about buying one of them.
Ds is more than 2 times cheaper than PSP (because i would buy the PSP giga pack), but i would use the PSP as a mp3 player too.
Could someone please give me an advice what to chose?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DS, in terms of innovation for video games. DS wins. PsP only has hardware, whoopty doo. Most of the games that came out for it were already on the Ps2, and its kinda usless buying the movies for it. I looked at the games for both PsP and DS, I liked the DS games a whole lot more.

Think about it this way. If you buy an i-pod shuffle and a DS you will have the same functionality (that you mentioned) as a PsP has. Besides internet surfing, but look at the following arguement.

A PsP requires a configured wireless device to go to the internet. Listen if you manage to auctually find thiese internet hotspots, all the more merrier because where I am they are far and few. So technally the only place you will be playing online games will be at your house with your configured wireless adapter. You might as well have done the same with your DS, since both require wireless routers/devices to log onto the web. And since the DS will be coming out with a new internet surfing card ("game pack") there will be less arguements there besides the crappy "DS should have come out with it to begin with, I wont buy it".
But overall the internet surfing doesnt matter. Since you will be doing most of the surfing at your home, you might as well have just used your computer.
And as for online games, both require the wireless adapter like I said, so both arguements either way about internet game play are null and void.

*edit* oh yeah, and welcome to the ESF forums.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i had a nice big post typed up and i accidentally closed firefox >_>

ill sum it up,

the DS has alot of games that are good fun when you only play for short periods of time, like if your waiting for your food at a resteraunt, waiting for a movie to start,. etc. but it doesnt really have any full fledged games to actually sit and really "play".

the psp however seems to be more of a system you'd play while on a vacation, or a long trip somewhere. it can be used to listen to music, watch movies. and it has games like monster hunter and GTA:LCS. games that actually require you to sit on your butt for awhile while to play, as opposed to the quick quirky minigames on the DS that can be played and finished in a matter of minutes

if you go for the psp however, its fairly fragile =P

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the games are your opinion. I do enjoy sitting down and playing thiese games for a long while. The games is just for what YOU want to play and no other. I enjoy the games on the DS, but the games on the PSP I dont really like to play alot. So the player just has to find the decision on his own. Weather you think that the games are for sitting down or not. In short: I disagree.

The whole idea of a portable system is to play games whenever, not to take hours out of your day to get one chapter ahead.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would personally go with the DS. The DS seems to have more games that I like compared to the PSP.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The DS. The DS is getting a 4gb HD soon so it'll do....

-Play videos. 4GB can hold a typical anime series d-(o_O)-b
-Emulate. PSP can do that now, but the DS will be able to do it as well.
-Play music. Don't have an Ipod? NO PROBLEM!
-Browse the internet. Wh needs a mouse when you have a touchscreen?

On top of all that, the DS right now is still the best portable. The games alone are better than what the PSP has to offer. The only thing PSP has that the DS needs is the Maverick Hunter X series, the Megaman Powered Up series, and Valkyrie Profile.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
On top of all that, the DS right now is still the best portable. The games alone are better than what the PSP has to offer. The only thing PSP has that the DS needs is the Maverick Hunter X series, the Megaman Powered Up series, and Valkyrie Profile.
People need to add IMHO to their posts instead of making it sound set in stone. I have a PSP, and for a reason. It's a great system, and SOCOM online makes the purchase worth it alone. By adding GTA, tons of emulation, and other sorts, the PSP is definitely worth it.

IMHO.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:

I prefer the DS too, but I just find it funny to hear you praise the DS's non-gaming capabilities (hard drive, music, internet), when many people criticised the PSP's ability to do these things, saying the DS was better because it didn't have these 'useless' features, and instead did only what it should - play games. Also, try not to make it sound like your opinion is the only correct one, by saying "the DS right now is still the best portable", because that's purely subjective.

Game-wise, I prefer the DS. The PSP's various functions make it too expensive, and the games out for it aren't original enough to spark my interest.

Best answers
I think the best games for DS and PSP are still to come - a square/enix rpg for PSP
and Meteroid hunters, a Legend of Zeld game for DS.
The unorginality of PSP games dont bother me, I dont have a PS2.
I think i will wait a bit for prices to drop and more good games to come

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well personally I´d say PSP, I have one myself, it is useful for watching movies, manga (if you watch any), listen to music. It also has a couple of good games, and some quite good games coming up (Splinter Cell Essentials anyone?).
And then there is ofcourse...homebrew, both consoles have it. However the DS has very little, but the PSP on the other hand. It will add nearly everything you can imagine to your PSP, from fun little games, to a snes emulator, to a gba emulator, nes emulator, genesis, megadrive, SCUMM (Monkey Island, Sam&Max, Loom), name it and it exists. There are also PDA homebrew for the PSP so you can get stuff such as calculators, calanders, notepads etc. on your PSP. Lot's o' fun remakes of PS2 games made with homebrew (Dance Dance Revolution, Vector Infector etc.)
And not to forget the internet browser can be really handy at times too. I know, I know, the internet browser is also coming for the DS, but you have to pay 30 bucks for it or something like that.
So:

PSP:
Expensive.
Lots o' good homebrew.
Quite a few good games and alot more coming up.
Lots of things that the DS can't do.
Directed to people that want to do more than just gaming.
More mature games.

DS:
Touch screen
Cheap
Little homebrew capabilities(So if you played all your games, it can get boring)
Couple of things the PSP can't do.
Directed more towards just gaming.
More games for everyone, instead of just mature.

(You can talk about the DS all you want with it's upcoming features, but the PSP will still be better at them quality-wise. DS only as 120.000 colors, PSP has 16 million. Not to mention that Homebrew-wise, even though the DS is getting some better ones, PSP is still way better because of what the PSP is capable of (Processor-wise), It is really quite hard to emulate snes on the PSP, so it will probably be even harder on the DS. Well, it's not hard for the PSP nowadays, seeing as how you can overclock the processor to 333mhz, and the emulators work like a charm.)

So overall, get a DS if you are more into just gaming once in a while, not doing any other stuff.
Get a PSP if you are more of a multi-media kind of person, and homebrew.

Oh and by the way, Don't know if you like it, but there are rumors that the new PSP firmware 3.0 is coming soon and it will feature GPS and a camera on your PSP. (You do have to buy some stuff for it though, but the firmware update is always free.)
But if you buy a PSP, and upgrade it to 3.0 (when it comes out), you will not be able to use homebrew at the moment. Since the only supported homebrew firmwares are 1.00, 1.5, 1.51, 1.52, 2.00, 2.01, 2.5 and 2.6 (You are best to stick with 2.00 or 1.5 when you get a PSP, most homebrew work on those 2 firmwares, and the 2.00 firmware features the webbrowser, but 1.5 allows for more homebrew, and it is possible using homebrew to emulate 2.00 on a 1.5 PSP so you can use some of the 2.00 features on a 1.5 PSP (including the browser))

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll be honest. I've tried them both and they can get pretty boring after a while. I had the DS for a month or so and had the best games for it (roughly 4) and was bored of it and traded it in for x-mas money. I plan on getting a PSP though because of the remake of the Mega Man X series.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldnt buy either of them. Theyre expensive and not so much fun as, say, a ball and cup. Really, theyre great for playing before bed to put you out, but not so great when youre trying to amuse yourself.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dewd In Ћe Newd said:
I'll be honest. I've tried them both and they can get pretty boring after a while. I had the DS for a month or so and had the best games for it (roughly 4) and was bored of it and traded it in for x-mas money. I plan on getting a PSP though because of the remake of the Mega Man X series.
Irregular Hunter X (Maverick Hunter X) is only a remake of Megaman X. As far as I know, there are no plans to remake the other X games.

I personally enjoy the DS. Most games that are out for it aren't what you would play for hours on end, though such games are availible. And the DS doesn't bore me.

It just depends on what you want, really.

Gon

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I would go with the PSP since I have one. It doesn't have many games, but DBZ Budokai 4 is comming out for it! (Not a tenkaichi game).

Anyways, I barely use my PSP, but I still prefer it more than a DS.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:

It's already out in Japan and I have to agree what Sicron has said.

And when the new update for the DS is out, you can just go to your local EBGames or GameStop to go to their wireless DS connection to download the patch.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like how some of you like to point fingers and say "oh, he didn't add IMO in his post, so he's acting like what he says is fact!"

Guys, opinions are implied. Lighten up and take the sticks out of your asses.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
I like how some of you like to point fingers and say "oh, he didn't add IMO in his post, so he's acting like what he says is fact!"

Guys, opinions are implied. Lighten up and take the sticks out of your asses.
Yes, in normal circumstances, that is true, but when you come out and say "this IS better than that" "this HAS better stuff than that", "it's common knowledge that this IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE better", it sounds like you're set in concrete about it and that it must be true.

Best answers
I Own both the DS and PSP, and if its true about the DS having a hard drive, well I think the PSP will be sitting, gathering dust. the only reason I own a PSP was to watch movies and play music (I despise the Ipod - And Apple alltogether). But I allways enjoyed the DS touch screen controls better, and Loved the games. So DS all the way!

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just purchased a DS today, and I'm quite pleased with the craftmanship and the game quality (nintendogs for the wife, Resident Evil DS for me). Both titles I purchased had nifty features, multiplayer RE, hello? Practically garaunteed we will buy a second one now. Knife fights with the stylus :O and Nintendogs follow your voice commands.

I guess I'm just easily amused :p

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PSP clearly is just a portable PS2, while DS is an original handheld experience.

Go with the DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom