DS gonna surf the web, and become a portable TV too

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm personally happy with the idea. I can upload some of my animes to it (since its 4GB, I can hold a good amount of episodes) and watch it on long trips.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, you're right, you won't HAVE to buy it. Personally I wouldn't. Browsing the internet is for computers, not cell phones and cameras and portable stuff.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Pride is right. Sure you bought the DS, now you need to buy the gadgets to make the T.V and the web browser work. That's how Nintendo makes their money. Release something, then update it and release it again, then add a bunch of addons that plug into it. It's smart for Nintendo, because they make money. It's bad for the customer because they're getting ripped off.
Well atleast these parts are optional, so I dont see how you are being ripped off. With the psp some of these features come standard with it, but it cost over a $100 more than the ds and some people dont even care about those features nor want them, I say its the psp owners who are getting ripped off.

Don't get me wrong, the psp is a nice machine and I enjoy playing it, but for $250 bucks its just not worth it. If I wanted to pay over $200 for a portable machine that plays games, movies, music and browses the web I will buy a laptop...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Engar said:
So, when you buy your shiny new processor/graphics card/monitor you're being ripped off?

Yes, Nintendo sell a lot of hardware add-ons but no one is pointing a gun at anyone's head and saying 'Buy This.' Personally I might give this one a second glance. Rather than dragging my laptop downstairs - for a portable device it's pretty heavy - and plugging it in I could just slip a different cartridge into my DS and browse the forum from anywhere in my house.

And for god's sake, it's only $30. In a day when people will pay over $500 for a next-gen console (that's the sorta prices people are seeing over here) $30 isn't exactly breaking the bank.
Did I say it was a bad thing? No. I said it's Nintendo's way of making money instead of putting it all together at one time, and selling it for a higher price. It's easy to say "Meh, I don't need that, so I won't buy it" and keep the DS soley for playing video games.

You guys take this "DS > PSP" or the opposite. I merely stated how Nintendo makes their money, not that everyone needs to buy their addons. Calm down, take some deep breathes or something.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Did I say it was a bad thing?
Um, yeah, you did:

Fire Phoenix said:
It's bad for the customer because they're getting ripped off.
*coughs*

That is what I was replying to, the idea that people are being ripped off by being offered something new. Maybe the next time you could read my post rather than just assuming I'm a die-hard DS fanboy (which I'm not).

And while I'm on the point of fanboys I'd just like to reconfirm that this isn't a thread for debating the merits of an upgraded DS versus the PSP, neither side of this ridiculous argument will be tolerated here (Enix). This is about the add-ons planned for Japan - who knows if any of us will ever see them - and that alone.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I could see the tv-tuner thing working in Japan - Japan is pretty crazy about gadgets, donchaknow - but for it to work overseas, the 1seg broadcast service thingemebob (see article in first post) would have to be installed overseas as well. Japan's usually early with developments like that, so I don't see this new system being adopted as quickly in the US or Europe. It's easier for Japan, because it's a small country. I dunno though, they might find something else for it. Isn't there already a broadcasting service like that? Maybe they could get it to work with the older broadcasting system, or whatever.

As for the browser - I think it might be useful, as long as it's fast, user-friendly, and secure. It'll be interesting to see how the DS develops from here on. I've heard of some other crazy-ass applications for the DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom