Does metal calm you? o_O

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok... I was very pissed at myself the other day and I've noticed something very wierd about myself and I make this thread to find out whether it is just me that is wierd or am I not the only one in the boat.

I know that lots of people like to hear classical or soothing music to relax themselves. Now the thing is that whenever I am feeling a teeny bit stressed about something or am irritated at something or maybe something has frustrated me.... I go and put on the loudest, heaviest, freaking speaker bursting song that I have. And somehow listening to Sepultura (Roots Bloody Roots) really calmed me... o_O

So just to ask the other forum users, is this the same case with you? If so, what do you listen to in particular when you are just frustrated and resort to music to calm you down? And if not, what other genre of music would you listen to in such a circumstance?

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i would listen to some techno, not that heavy, rave type. music like the artist, The Crystal Method produces. maybe some others have heard of him.
so to answer your question no, listening to metal wouldnt calm me down.

Best answers
I'm the same GrOOvy.. I listen to heavy rock/metal and it calms me down where as easy listening/classical music actually enrages me futher.

I always find a bit of Chimaria or System Of A Down calms me down.. so don't worry, you're not the only one who's strange like that o_O

[EDIT] Dance music gives me a headache.. the same beat pounding over and over.. it's like a road-drill for my brain v_v

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
werd, metal rocks. if u want some good "god damn it all" music try these

Spineshank - Asthmatic (3:34)
Spineshank - Full Circle (3:26)
Spineshank - Negative Space (2:39)
Spineshank - New Disease (3:14)
SpineShank - Perfect Ending (3:48)
Spineshank - Play God (4:02)
Spineshank - Seamless (3:44)
Spineshank - Synthetic (3:09)
SpineShank - Transparent (3:53)

i reccomend new disease and synthetic, those are the 2 best in my opinion.

also... i hate punk to no end, it gives me a freggin headache whenever i listen to it. i duno if anyone else has this reaction to these freggin kids yellin about how their parents suck.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, at this moment, im listening to iron maiden, (powerslave) since im in a rockish mood with good lyrics, but after a hard day, nothing beats 50% volume on the hi-fi and blast out cradle of filth, and odd times i mix, like metallica... mudvayne (course :p) and more iron maiden, im just in the iron maiden mood this week >_>

Best answers
The new Spineshank album is great, the best song on it is probably 'Smothered'. Great music to listen to when playing online games ^_^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yea i have to.... "buy" *cough* download *cough* smothered because right now i have some crappy version with ad's in it. 2 times in the song it will say. SPINESHANK SELF DESTRUCTIVE THEORY AVAILABLE THIS JULY!. really freggin homo. anyway aside from that, GREAT song.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Truthfully, no music calms me anymore. Since I got heavy into music 3 years ago, whenever anyone in aural proximity to me starts playing a song, I listen to it and break different parts of it down and listen for those. That's essentially what I do each time I listen to a song - I listen to a different part every time and sometimes try to play it on a variety of instruments afterwards. I suppose it's relaxation in a way, to me, it's what I like to do.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, playing music is another way for me to ease off, I should have mentioned that in my first post. Although playing the guitar with distortion does anything but calm down the others in the house :x

Pain said:
what instrument u play?
Please try not to defer off-topic, Pain.

Best answers
haha, so true Groovy! Family is always bursting in in a fit of rage with loud bass guitar playing, but I like it 0:)

Anyways, music in general calms me, but I listen to a huge variety in music. But there's very few bands I like, usually just one off songs. Heavy music can calm me, if only by making me sort of siphon off all the anger.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find that any type of music calms me down. It depends on what I've been listening to. Recently I have gone from orgy and manson to blues and r&b. I'll listen to everything except country and most rap.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What instrument can't Maj play? :smile:

I find that when I listen to Metal music I can get any variation of emotion back from it. It all depends what I want.

If I want to get angry and riled up, I will. If I want to relax listening to some hard and heavy music does the trick.

I think that's why I love heavy metal so much. It gives so much and I give so little back.

And all I ever feel from listening to softer music is anger. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Best answers
grOOvy said:
Ok... I was very pissed at myself the other day and I've noticed something very wierd about myself and I make this thread to find out whether it is just me that is wierd or am I not the only one in the boat.

I know that lots of people like to hear classical or soothing music to relax themselves. Now the thing is that whenever I am feeling a teeny bit stressed about something or am irritated at something or maybe something has frustrated me.... I go and put on the loudest, heaviest, freaking speaker bursting song that I have. And somehow listening to Sepultura (Roots Bloody Roots) really calmed me... o_O

So just to ask the other forum users, is this the same case with you? If so, what do you listen to in particular when you are just frustrated and resort to music to calm you down? And if not, what other genre of music would you listen to in such a circumstance?
o Hell Yea i Listin 2 metal of Heavey rock groovy i do that all the time and it works. ur not the only one in the boat.

Best answers
Oh dear god, no you're not alone, grOOvy, whenever I have some hardcore amounts of steam to blow out my ears, I just blast the likes of Chimaira's "StigMurder", and feel all my homocidal tendencies suppress, for another day, at least. Either that or if I feel like throwing myself around I'll play Mudvaynes "Not falling", or if I'm pissed I'll play "The End of All Things to Come". Spineshank is also excellent, and don't say you hate punk, Pain, because Spineshank just happens to have large amounts of "punk" in their music, ;)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I enjoy oldschool Metal. 80's Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeth are my triple thrash threat for calming down. When I need some more calming, I expend some energy to Pantera and Suicidal Tendancies.

If I'm calm and need calmer I'll go with Faith No More.

Sometimes metal doesn't work, that's when I know I need to sing, not scream. And out comes Seal, Faith no More or Alice in Chains. Sometimes classical music works as well.

I truthfully have a much wider range in musical tastes after DJing, but no matter what rap and country will never calm me.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find that when I'm angry, if I can possibly get out and cruise my car around blasting hard music, it calms me. Sort of like channeling my own anger into the music and letting it leave me, that seems to be the best way to explain it.

Best answers
i listen to metal/heavy/black metal if i'm angry or something, children of bodom helps good, and dry kill logic too, and then there is: linkin park, their the most relaxing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, your all crazy, the only thing metal does for me is pump me up when im getting ready for a big event.

When im angry, I usually throw in Marriage of Figaro by Mozart, or Beethoven's Sixth Symphony: Ode to Joy, to calm me down. Although I like to mix it up with other classic Mozart and Beethoven pieces once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom