does esf work with spirit?

Best answers
i'm not very sure that it does. i've got a nidea recently to merge the "spirit" and "halflife-esf" fgd's.

i dont know how is it possible but i think tahat i could copy the text from spirit.fgd (the text which isn't in the -halflife-esf.fgd)to halflife-esf.fgd.

can anyone help me a bit?

*result*

hammer works with it!!!!!
YAY!!!

now ill test it with the map.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it works. I might make a tundra map with snow fx. I allways wanted spirit in esf.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spirit needs to be coded in by the developers which to my knowledge, has not happened yet. It will work in Hammer, of course, but it will not work ingame.

Best answers
Optional said:
Spirit needs to be coded in by the developers which to my knowledge, has not happened yet. It will work in Hammer, of course, but it will not work ingame.

that's right. worked with hammer but game crashed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Apologies for sounding like a n00b, but what advantages would ESF-Spirit have? I thought Spirit was just for having multiple entities on the same brush? Like a breakable train or pushable cannons etc...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It allows you to expand the boundries of HL. You can add special effects, have moving doors on moving trains, more control of NPCs, and easier scripting.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, i think it has been suggested before. I'm not sure what the outcome of it was. I'll bring it up in the next tester meeting.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hujovinal said:
i dont know how is it possible but i think tahat i could copy the text from spirit.fgd (the text which isn't in the -halflife-esf.fgd)to halflife-esf.fgd.
It sounds like you already found that didn't work?
Like Optional said, the entities need to be added to the mod's source code. The entities declared in the .fgd is really only for Hammer; it's separate from the actual definition of how the entity behaves in the game code. You'll be able to create any of the entities listed in it, but once the map is actually run, it's up to the code to intercept, interpret, and execute the instance(s) of that entity. So, naturally, if an entity is placed in a map which is then run by code that has no idea what the entity is or does, there's going to be some problems.
It'd be interesting if Spirit was integrated into ESF; it's all premade and available, it'll just have to be used wisely in ESF maps due to chop/lag issues.

Best answers
The only thing that have maybe been coded into the game from spirit may be the fog, though they could have created that themselves.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They would not have stolen it from Spirit because that would be considered ripping which everyone here at ESF is pretty strongly against. The coders for ESF are very talented, and I do not think a simple fog would be very hard to make considering how many times I have seen them in modifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom