Does anyone do "UltraHD" gaming?

Badassologist Ph/D
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I was reading about the awesome new AMD Radeon HD 7990 GPU and they were talking about some people gaming in UltraHD.

Anyone else ever heard of it or used it before? Is there really that much difference with a small screen like a computer monitor?

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
UltraHD refers specifically to 4K and 8K resolutions. You can't just "do it". You need a screen capable of displaying this. I don't know of any, not for PCs anyway.

On a 24 inch screen, it would certainly rock your world, because you probably wouldn't feel the need for anti-aliasing anymore.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
on a 24" Screen you would probably not even see the increased Resolution....btw instead of using Ultra HD i would spend my GPU power with SuperSampling AA

--- edit ---

on a 24" Screen you would probably not even see the increased Resolution....btw instead of using Ultra HD i would spend my GPU power with SuperSampling AA

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I think that there is a huge part that does not even game on FullHD ( 1080p )and dont forget the humongous pricecard that tags the new UHD ( 4k & 8k )

Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I don't care about pixels. I care about quality. 4k or 8k says nothing if the screen still sucks. Screen reflections, brightness, color range and I know there are a shitton more.
And...we just need a new GPU with a 4k and 8k resolution which isn't that nice.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Bigger resolution = need for better gpu to maintain FPS so it's not really worth it i think.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
If you have a brilliant graphics card, *coughNvidia640cough* then it might be worth it. Tbh, I don't even have a HD monitor; it's like 10 years old or something, so I was looking for an upgrade, I might consider it. As Ryokeen said, if you need glasses, chances are it wouldn't make enough of a difference to be worth it, so, just be careful.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Get a good screen en stay with FullHD for now , eg. 120hz screen :D:D real nice image flow.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Nobody said anything about glasses. You need glasses if your vision is bad. That's all.
The PC gaming market is virtually stuck at 1080p. This is ridiculous and needs to change ASAP.

Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Nobody said anything about glasses. You need glasses if your vision is bad. That's all.
The PC gaming market is virtually stuck at 1080p. This is ridiculous and needs to change ASAP.
Who cares if it's stuck at 1080p? Why does it need to change (ASAP lol)?
It annoys me that you do not present any arguments.

You can have SUPER sharp displays without anyone complaining.
Besides having a higher resolution means that your GPU has to do a lot more work.
I prefer better quality screens than bigger and pixel-wasted ones.

Last edited:
I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well now it's a argue about preference and what you like better ...

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Because, especially considering recent advances in display technology, this resolution is not nearly high enough. As long as visible aliasing is an issue, the resolution is not high enough. It's really rather simple. Apple did the math, after all.
You can't have super sharp displays because they do not exist. Except of course in a MacBook or ChromeBook. Which isn't really helping either.

This also has nothing to do with liking anything better. It's a physical fact.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, the resolutions need to go higher. So high that a naked eye couldn't see a single black pixel in a white background. This would mean that the picture quality is really good and anti-aliasing is needed no more.

Last edited:
Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really see the need for 4k displays when most GPUs have a maximum resolution of 2560x1600.
Honestly, I don't even need antialiasing at 1080p on my 23 inch displays. And no, I don't have eye sight problems.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
I don't want to know what a GPU would cost wich can handle current Games at 4k or higher Resolution...

--- edit ---

I don't want to know what a GPU would cost wich can handle current Games at 4k or higher Resolution...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom