Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55118As teased, the first details on Eidos Montreal's long-awaited Deus Ex 3 have been revealed, shedding new light on the shooter-RPG that's due in late 2009.
Set as a prequel to Ion Storm's original two entries, the title has the blessing of both Deus Ex and Deus Ex 2 designers Warren Spector and Harvey Smith. In addition, Deus Ex series writer Sheldon Pacotti has been brought on as a consultant.
As the new information appeared in the pages of PC Zone magazine, a PC version is given. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 editions are expected, especially given its use of the Tomb Raider engine, though the developer has yet to confirm those platforms.
More details, courtesy Shacker matthaeus and CVG, follow below:
- "It's a prequel set in 2027."
- "The art direction is a beautiful meld of the renaissance and cyberpunk (tying into the game's Leonardo Da Vinci motif)."
- "A 'powerful, layered' plot is promised for the third game."
- "You're cast as average joe Adam Jensen, who works as a private security officer at a technology lab specialising in biomechanical augmentations."
- "One day the path of his life is unexpectedly altered as a team of black ops commandos break into his company's HQ...a mass slaughter ensues and the conspiracy begins."
- "Stealth will now rely on a cover system rather than shadows, and damage will be dealt with by a very Call of Duty-style auto-heal."
- "Augmentations have been bumped up and sound fantastic. 20 have been promised for the final game, ranging from 'bungee jump' tentacles that shoot from your back and anchor to a wall when you jump off a building, and the ability to punch through walls to grab enemies in neighbouring rooms."
- "Eidos Montreal says it's more than aware of fan reaction to controversial second game, Invisible War, and promises mistakes, such as limiting ammo types to just one, won't be repeated."
- "You'll still garner experience points as you progress through the game. You'll then either choose to plug them into your self through your augmentations or your weaponry."