Design idea/question

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I started thinking... Instead of making a building or some kind of object entirely out of brushes, would it be better to make a model? This is how I have it thought up in my head right now:

Valve Hammer: Use it to make the landscape/terrain, set up the map, make mountains, lakes, rivers, geographical features, etcetera.

Model Maker: Use to make buildings, trees, plants, and other things of that nature.

Would that be a good way to approach making a dense city map or any map for that matter?

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's how esf maps basically are made. The terrain and buildings with brushes, and everything else is made of models.

Best answers
But can you use buildings made in a model maker (.mdl) instead making them with brushes?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats easy. But the thing is that you cant walljump off models.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you have giant models, does it lag up the server?

Otherwise why not construct the entire map out of models? =P

Also, can you choose to make models solid or not? (i'm thinking of solid hollow spheres for DBZ-style buildings, impossible to make in Hammer).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can do that....BUT your bounding box is always square as far as I know, or atleast for this engine, so you won't be standing directly on the objects, and remember, it's not just wpoly that causes lag, you also get epoly you know. but a combination of models and brushes work very well for some maps.

Oh and making models takes a bit longer if I remember correctly, you need to place every vertice and then make a face out of every few, that's long and hard work....

And for the hollow spheres thing, it could work, but like I said, it's a sqaure bounding box, so yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom