death cut scenes?

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
how about death gameplay cut scenes?

When you get killed by a energy beams like Kameha, Galic Gun, Masenko, mouth blast, spirit bomb... and others the person who is dying whould get a cut scene at the point where the beam hits him and whould kinda like this:

You know like those death scenes those are frikkin nice! ofcorse you whould get an option to skip the scene in the corner if you don't wanna watch.

Cut scenes whould be made of ingame play. Not acctually putting a dbz movie inside.

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Too much work, and kinda slows down the fast-paced game ESF is supposed to be.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wouldn't work. ESF is an online game, you can't put a death scene in a fast paced online action game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you guys ever played DBSource then you should know how they die by a beam. It'll be awesome if ESF had something similar

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't played DBSource, probably because it looked like crap. Got a movie of the death scene you mentioned?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;f5ojtJ-TkwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ojtJ-TkwQ[/video] At about 1:02, though it's not all of it. You basically turn to ashes.

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
It uses the same effect as in hl2 if you shoot a combine with the energy ball from the combine gun. I've seen a similar effect in an ESF video were a spiritbomb was thrown and someone blocked it on the ground, causing some trails to appear.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Death cut scenes could work however it can only be for the player who is dying. This makes sure it doesn't interrupt the fast pasted online play of the people who are still alive.
Also, watching such a thing, while you wait to respawn isn't really such a bad alternative to just watching others fight.

It could be expanded too. For instance, you've been beaten to death by a player, and you get to see a three second cut scene of the player totaling you with kicks, strikes and maybe a small KI-blasts etc.

Overall I love the idea, however there is one small problem in my opinion and that's the time that needs to be infested into this.
the code part probably not so much, but all the extra animations that need to be made, all the models that need several new damage states..
To be honest, it doesn't add enough to the game to put it in.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Death cut scenes could work however it can only be for the player who is dying. This makes sure it doesn't interrupt the fast pasted online play of the people who are still alive.
Also, watching such a thing, while you wait to respawn isn't really such a bad alternative to just watching others fight.

It could be expanded too. For instance, you've been beaten to death by a player, and you get to see a three second cut scene of the player totaling you with kicks, strikes and maybe a small KI-blasts etc.

Overall I love the idea, however there is one small problem in my opinion and that's the time that needs to be infested into this.
the code part probably not so much, but all the extra animations that need to be made, all the models that need several new damage states..
That and I wonder if it would not add to the server's lag.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well if we wanted to make that, we would need to implement a movie player on the client, or have it scripted as an effect, but then everyone in the server would see it at the players position and not just the player.

So probably not. Death cut scenes is not something youd want to add to a fast paced action game made on the HL engine. Not while its multiplayer atleast.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers

Don't think that would work well... especially in an online game even if it is only client side + after seeing the same animation for a couple of times it would get annoying and frustrating and let's face it... If someone beats the crap out of you or even if it was a close fight you don't want to see a cinematic of that same player kicking your dead body...
What i'd suggest is simple disintegration if the player is hit with a fatal energy attack(only big beam/sphere attacks) if possible and a normal death animation (maybe a camera close up onto the player while he is disintegrating or falling to the ground if the player chooses to watch it)

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That and I wonder if it would not add to the server's lag.
Why would something that's being done 100% clientside cause server lag?

Well if we wanted to make that, we would need to implement a movie player on the client, or have it scripted as an effect, but then everyone in the server would see it at the players position and not just the player.

So probably not. Death cut scenes is not something youd want to add to a fast paced action game made on the HL engine. Not while its multiplayer atleast.
What? Ofcourse not. Do you need a movie player for the advanced melee strikes we have now? And why would everyone see it?
I mean, I pointed out why it might not be a good idea to add, but your reasons make no sense what so ever.

You can add client side only stuff to online games you know.

Don't think that would work well... especially in an online game even if it is only client side + after seeing the same animation for a couple of times it would get annoying and frustrating and let's face it... If someone beats the crap out of you or even if it was a close fight you don't want to see a cinematic of that same player kicking your dead body...
What i'd suggest is simple disintegration if the player is hit with a fatal energy attack(only big beam/sphere attacks) if possible and a normal death animation (maybe a camera close up onto the player while he is disintegrating or falling to the ground if the player chooses to watch it)
It was just a little suggestion added onto the original suggestion. ;)
With the current blending animation techniques it doesn't have to be a static thing though. (From what I understand from it anyway)

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What? Ofcourse not. Do you need a movie player for the advanced melee strikes we have now? And why would everyone see it?
I mean, I pointed out why it might not be a good idea to add, but your reasons make no sense what so ever
As said i see this working in 2 ways:

1.) A movie player that plays a video with the death scene.

2.) An XML effect script, but that cant really be client side since the server calls those out.

Number 1 is just way to much work and number 2 isnt client side. Its server side.

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Thats what i said only player who is dying can see this cut scene.

It whould take about 1-3 sec ain't really gonna ruin the fast paced gaming, also there whould be a skip button if you really hate to wait those 3 sec.

Stop saying it can't be done to a fast paced game, sure it can. But depends on how much work, coding, animating.. whould need to take.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

It whould take about 1-3 sec ain't really gonna ruin the fast paced gaming, also there whould be a skip button if you really hate to wait those 3 sec.
In that case we're better off without it. So much work (not really sure if it's 'so much') for 3 seconds? Nah.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Stop saying it can't be done to a fast paced game, sure it can. But depends on how much work, coding, animating.. whould need to take.

Read my reply.

In case 1 only the player sees the animation, but it would preety much require us to create a movie player ingame.

In case 2 no movie player, but the entire server would see it as part of the world.

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Read my reply.

In case 1 only the player sees the animation, but it would preety much require us to create a movie player ingame.

In case 2 no movie player, but the entire server would see it as part of the world.
I understand the 2 options you said.

The 2nd option whould be a no go, it whould suck if everyone whould need to be interfered to see the cut scene.

The 1st Option. Seems like a lot of work making a player, how about already made player?

Also when making a video player for ingame use could that work with flash code or java code?

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I understand the 2 options you said.

The 2nd option whould be a no go, it whould suck if everyone whould need to be interfered to see the cut scene.

The 1st Option. Seems like a lot of work making a player, how about already made player?

Also when making a video player for ingame use could that work with flash code or java code?
You can't just add flash or java to C++, if you want an embedded player, you've not only got to add another library to the game, but also have to make the client/server communication, the movies and that's just too much work for a 4 second movie.
And don't forget that after 4 or more times watching, it will get bored.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For the record, we a;ready have beam vaporization, I just don't think Dalte has made FX for it yet. More important tasks first.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, if ESF added unique combos to melee or special attacks, I could see these cut scenes working, but if there were cut scenes for every single death it'd get pretty annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom