DBZ XENOVERSE!!!!

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yea but from what i hear, new techniques and that stuff are random drops. Meaning its like an RPG where levels are given with a random % chance.

Its a skewed mentality that forces a player to grind to artificially extend the game beyond what it really is. And everyone and their mother is doing it. From shooters unlocking the same equipment for different guns to pseudo fighters like this one. This is not an RPG, if it were, then you could level up by grinding VS fights against the AI. Each fight should give you experience towards your levels, but from what i understand, you are forced to go though the same quest over and over. And that is bad design.
You know, I wouldn't mind it so much if between missions you would have to do some parallel quests in order to evolve. But when the game gets so ******* hard out of nowhere when you can't even ******* do certain parallel quests and you have to redo the ones you already did in order to be strong enough to do the side missions and then do the main missions...

At that point I was like: That's it. My patience for this game is now out. Cities: Skylines is out. I'm going to play that. See you in 5 years Xenoverse and go **** yourself.

Also Gohan and his Special quests can go **** himself too. I'm done. I can't take that horrible game design anymore. Naruto Shippuden pissed me off, but at least it had the courtesy of letting get to the end bits before it pissed me the **** off.

Also this game could have used with some sort of respec option, because it could be that I speced into the wrong things...

Discord Member
Best answers
@ SG_SSJ!, I've done all the parallel missions at least once, and I'm still 5 levels too low the next story mission. Pumadace2000 is right; for anyone who doesn't know, Parallel missions are simply the story missions that you've already beaten, that's all they are. So, after wiping like 20 times on the story mission where Vegeta and Nappa come to earth, I was relieved to know that it was over. What happened next? I hit a wall at literally the next story mission against the Ginyu force. What do I do now? What can I do? Parallel missions; more specifically the Parallel mission (the one I hated for being stupidly hard), the one I JUST beat. Like, really? Like, how about **** off with this bull shit. I'm going to assume that the most recent Parallel missions are the ones that give you the most EXP, but even if it doesn't than it still means you'll be grinding those other story missions you did earlier anyway, it's stupid! This honestly seems like this was intentional; it would have to be, right? They want people to wipe on the same missions over and over again (because you still get EXP) as a way to lengthen how long it takes for you to complete the game. Coupled with the RNG of loot, these two systems have been put in place to create a veil or charade in order to make the game appear as if has depth, or something? I don't even know anymore.

--- edit ---

As for combat complexity... nope! Sure, there are a lot of different combo strings, but only 1 one of them is actually worth using: the rest are either comprised of 3-4 hits (why would you use these?) or simply do not deal enough damage when compared to your strongest combo. There really isn't any other reason not to use your numero wan combo. Ok, what else can you do in combat? Two others things - I say two other things because grabbing is pointless and deals almost no damage. After you punch someone and put them into their "damaged" state where in you can continue the combo string, you can either vanish behind them mid strike or you could use one of your "Supers". Vanish doesn't work like it does in Budokai 3 where you could only vanish if you timed your block their attack right before it hits (how it should be). In this game you can vanish between being hit... ? Vanishing is tied to your stamina, so it's not like you can spam it; all it does is creates this dull cat and mouse game where you hope they run out of stamina before you do. As for using Supers in combos, well, its shit. Supers are either a big energy attack or they are an automated animation that makes you character attack really fast. Whatever you choose to do, the game is still taking the controller/keyboard out of your hands for a second, sometimes two and playing for you. Sadly, energy Supers in this game are just broken full stop - they deal way too much damage for how much Ki they take, and more so because of how easy Ki is to come by in this game. What you're left with is the same repetitive game play of: catching them without stamina, using the same punching combo and then right after that ends you use your Super - enemy falls to the ground, you wait for them to get up and repeat the process.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well to add to that, they are not exactly a re-doing of the story missions, they are other versions of the story mission battles. Like fight this story battle, this time on Freeza's side, etc. Kill this opponent 7 times.

But I'm done with this game. I'm sick of it and I've had enough patience for it. Like I said, Naruto Shippuden pissed me off at the end but at least until I got there I was pretty much always entertained, which is not something I can say about this game.

The story is not even that entertaining. The grinding and RNG loot are downright atrocious. No respec which means that if you focus on the wrong specialities will mean **** you, delete your current character and make another one and start over going through the same story missions and more time-wasting grinding.

The only good thing I can say about this game, is judging by the fact that it's doing quite well for itself on steam it will hopefully mean we will get more DBZ games for the PC in the future... maybe. But until then if this is the only official go to DBZ pc game then it can go finger and toe **** itself until it's ******* contracts rot.

**** this game!!!

Whoooo... man that felt good... time to relax and build a city. I will call it **** Xenoverse. And if anyone dares live in that city and says they like xenoverse I'm going to bulldoze their homes.

Discord Member
Best answers
Meh, switching the roles doesn't change anything at all, really...

@ Story not being entertaining, exactly! The main selling point that people have been giving for this game is "It's okay, the story carries it." And then I play the game and the story is just as ridiculous as the game itself. What's so good about it, anyway? What do people see in it? It's the same ******* storyline from the manga/anime except some minor details are altered. DBZ is universally panned for its lack of storytelling, and this game is no different.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Meh, switching the roles doesn't change anything at all, really...

@ Story not being entertaining, exactly! The main selling point that people have been giving for this game is "It's okay, the story carries it." And then I play the game and the story is just as ridiculous as the game itself. What's so good about it, anyway? What do people see in it? It's the same ******* storyline from the manga/anime except some minor details are altered. DBZ is universally panned for its lack of storytelling, and this game is no different.
No!! I'll go even further than that. What even is so special about it? Remeber Naruto shippuden where you had those amazing cinematic moments where you had the Nine Tails destroy the Village or where you fought against Sasuke or where you fought against Zabuza or against madara, with great looking scenes and great music playing in the Background with amazing looking visuals?

You get nothing even close to that in Xenoverse. It's just: something's wrong with the timeline, you get to see what's wrong. Ooooh that looks cool. So this is what would have happened if said villain of the timeline had some help: How could this be happening, Trunks asks, after we already established who the ones doing the ******* with time already are and how they are doing it to ******* BEGIN WITH! then you get to travel back in time and fix things. Fight this guy, fight that guy, fight 20 of those guys fight one of the main villains, he gets away then fight them again they get away ooops you stand no chance at beating this story mission. Do parra.... oh no. I'm not going back to you!

The thing is. None of this "amazing story" cutscenes are anything special to look at. You don't get to see amazing mindblowing battle sequences, you don't get to listen to amazing music, as most of them have no music to begin with. You get nothing! ******* nothing except for a slight enjoyment in seeing what would happen if bad guy would win, or if Mr Satan got so powerful he beats up everyone including, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien Trunks and freaking Vegeta.

The process is rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat over and over and over and over and over and over and aaaaaaarght!

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Second chance at life wish gives you the opportunity to respec your stats

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So it seems to be most of the issues stem from the random drops and difficulty, I ran in to these issues but still can't wait to get home to try to beat story mode with this new z soul I unlocked.

For the record, I dislike that they make these drops so rare on some PQs that can be time consuming. I also somewhat dislike the 3D Naruto fighting games. They are pretty but I feel like that's all they are, really BEAUTIFUL fighting games with nice cutscenes and presentation, but with a shallow/limiting fighting system.

In regards to the difficulty-

I run in to this moreso in story mode. The biggest mistake I made early on was not using healing items, because I thought that would lessen my score.mUse A lot of healing items. Bullshit like super armor or reviving enemies or 1 vs 3 fights makes you use them, and there is no penalty. Save yourself thr rage and use them.

Sometimes you need to grind to get your custom character up. Cool. Go play some PQs (they are not rehashes of the story, they cover other aspects of the story, spin offs, what-ifs, or have you fighting on the villain side.). I learned that using characters actually from the show helps make them easier and keeps the game fresh.

I play as a melee-focused human male, so some quests that fair better with ki attacks make me switch, or maybe I want to quench my fanboy and play as a super saiyan 3 Goku. They all have different combos and load outs so you can switch it up, and the best thing about this is you still gain experience points and zenny from using DBZ characters, I was grinding this one PQ trying to get this soul, switching up characters to stop it from getting mundane, but even if I did not get the soul, I was getting exp and zenny VERY quickly, which would help my custom character in story mode, among other things.

Also RNG is not for everyone. Monster Hunter, an INCREDIBLY popular and critically/financially successful game relies heavily on it. They keep it fresh by different load outs, monsters, play styles and playing with friends, which I would argue Xenovdrse does to a certain extent.

The combat I guess is to each is own. I am able to rack up sufficient damage by combining combos, vanishes, chases, super strikes, ultimates, super blasts, etc. if you care more about raw damage than flashiness then I suppose you lose out? But again I will take this more "create a combo" system over raging blast or Ultimate Ninja Storm any day.

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
The combat I guess is to each is own. I am able to rack up sufficient damage by combining combos, vanishes, chases, super strikes, ultimates, super blasts, etc. if you care more about raw damage than flashiness then I suppose you lose out? But again I will take this more "create a combo" system over raging blast or Ultimate Ninja Storm any day.
Totally agree, it's much better to do my own combos than watch the game do it for me, the fact that the action never stops and I'm able to react to every single attack makes it much more entertaining.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Chakra stop wasting time excusing bullshit systems and giving guides.

None of it will hide the fact that this game has bullshit mechanics. Also I hope none of the advice here was aimed at me, because I said I'm done with the game. This is something I say when games make me feel sick to play them; that make me nervous and stressed whenever I see their icons on the desktop. When I've had enough of tolerating them, that is it. No amount of excuses will make me come back to it (unless those excuses make 5 years pass in an instant)

Also just to note something I was using healing items. But you know what is so "veeeery fun" about healing items? To access them you have to open a menu and if you open it and get attacked your character becomes so defenceless you might as well have pressed a kill yourself button, because when two SSJ's come at you, you are ****ed. Not only can your character not use the item if the menu is opened and he's being combo-ed, but you can't escape, you can't recover after you get knocked away (you still can't use the item if you're flying knocked away) and you can't block. Also you cannot use multiple capsules of the same types, just one. Once that is gone, well... hope you didn't expect to last for more enemies, because you won't.

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Also you cannot use multiple capsules of the same types, just one. Once that is gone, well... hope you didn't expect to last for more enemies, because you won't.
Hum, yes you can? I literally have 20 something All Regen M Capsules in my loadout so I can pretty much use them without worrying they will run out.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hum, yes you can? I literally have 20 something All Regen M Capsules in my loadout so I can pretty much use them without worrying they will run out.
In one fight? All 20? Riddle me this can you even equip one of each in every slot available?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Characters such as Goku, Vegeta, Cell, Frieza, all scale on the same stats as your custom character. O,,o Just beat all the DLC1 missions T,,T Great Ape Baby Vegeta is brutal. With a move that can wipe you out in an instant!

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Thank you for the info. Looks good. So this will be a character replacer for Final eh? That's cool New animations and all that. Just need an FX pack for vegeta maybe.. who has the moves for an epic Broly!

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Combat doesn't feel very responsive, and preforming almost any action locks you out of the entirety of the controls until that action is completed.
So missing any attack(and you will miss allot because of the poor auto-lock) means you will pay with a good portion of hp which is also quite limited.

Melee has terrible range for the kind of versatility they tried to add with flight and movements. The basic combo and attack requires you to have an enemy literally within arms reach.
Stamina is what determines your ability to snap vanish and for most characters will allow you to do at most three in a row before it recharges(and only does so when not attacking, or flying).

First impressions are not bad, the game feels somewhat solid with a good illusion of control and mostly functional mechanics. Combat can be rough and greatly rewards players who spam just the right moves.
It rarely offers much in trying some of the other approaches to combat which are suggested but comparatively useless.
The online mechanics have been suffering pretty badly, many moves don't act or connect as they are supposed to.

The main story is really where the game shines, by setting up familiarly different situations than those seen or read in the series and manga; and is a delightful twist on what is all to well known.
It's not a bad game considering this is the developers first time making a full 3D fighter, but it does lack the quality polish of informative playtesting.
^This sums up the game so well! If I look at my controller and press a button to then be able to look up at the screen and then see the character do it is terrible. In fact is one of the gripes I've always had with NBA 2K as well and I hate its guts because of it. If the game continuously locks me out of blocking because of its animations it's wrong and not skill-based. The combos are actually all the same for all characters but the animations are different. Either press X 5 times, Press Y 5 times or alternate X Y. Not much in the way of variation and there's no Signature Skill button or Signature Combo like in RB/Tenkaichi. Apart from Frieza class maybe which it's Ki Blast stuns people.

--- edit ---

As for combat complexity... nope! Sure, there are a lot of different combo strings, but only 1 one of them is actually worth using: the rest are either comprised of 3-4 hits (why would you use these?) or simply do not deal enough damage when compared to your strongest combo. There really isn't any other reason not to use your numero wan combo. Ok, what else can you do in combat? Two others things - I say two other things because grabbing is pointless and deals almost no damage. After you punch someone and put them into their "damaged" state where in you can continue the combo string, you can either vanish behind them mid strike or you could use one of your "Supers". Vanish doesn't work like it does in Budokai 3 where you could only vanish if you timed your block their attack right before it hits (how it should be). In this game you can vanish between being hit... ? Vanishing is tied to your stamina, so it's not like you can spam it; all it does is creates this dull cat and mouse game where you hope they run out of stamina before you do. As for using Supers in combos, well, its shit. Supers are either a big energy attack or they are an automated animation that makes you character attack really fast. Whatever you choose to do, the game is still taking the controller/keyboard out of your hands for a second, sometimes two and playing for you. Sadly, energy Supers in this game are just broken full stop - they deal way too much damage for how much Ki they take, and more so because of how easy Ki is to come by in this game. What you're left with is the same repetitive game play of: catching them without stamina, using the same punching combo and then right after that ends you use your Super - enemy falls to the ground, you wait for them to get up and repeat the process.
Take this coming from someone who has reviewed the game badly over and over on the previous pages. You are quite wrong. Each combo can be made useful with different skills slotted in or you just haven't discovered their follow-ups yet since the game does a really shitty job at giving you a tutorial and showing you everything you can do with a base character, nevermind follow-up combos.

Grabbing is great, it can deal tons of damage (more than 5 hits or so) and in cluster**** fights it's downright essential when someone is blocking all your AI pals continuously as well as giving you a breather when you get ganged up.

Vanishing is atrocious. I would understand if it worked right all the time, or if it was meant to replace the inability to block during offensive animations, but it's just bad, most of the time you end up in front of that same combo anyway, or their combo has a sort of a reach-around in their chain which gets you anyway. That "dull" cat and mouse game you talk about is great in Budokai 3 which had a very similar system in place when you and your opponent timed your blocks perfectly one after the other until 1 ran out of Ki if you remember. It's good here too.

Supers are shit but not because of the reason you gave. Aside the fact that they look horrible, they are treated as some sort of tick damage per second per wave burst (eg. watch your combo rack up while enemy is caught in wave) and it's terrible, never-mind the fact they are easy to dodge. Ball attacks and homing attacks are better, the Rush attacks can be good but most of them aren't. What you said in the last sentence doesn't really work because you never know how much stamina your opponent has left. Also, if your Super Ki attack doesn't fire off fast enough eg. it's a charge attack, if the opponent is on the ground he will not take any damage. They do "a lot of damage" (your opinion?) because they are easy to dodge. Oh, and not to mention you can't beam struggle and if you both go for a grab there is no grab struggle either. These mechanics are just plain bad.

The one thing that is the utmost annoying and shit mechanic in this game is the Ki Blasts. They are free to use and they can stun-lock you forever while doing decent damage. Because of being stuck in the damaged animation you can't block either and using your vanish would be stupid because you waste 3 Stamina bars while your opponent doesn't waste anything and it's also not a guarantee that he will fire another set of Ki Blasts to stun-lock you again. Nevermind if you are fighting multiple opponents... Those Ki Blasts combined with the way Blocking works made me quit the game. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Best Mod for Xenoverse.
Manga Shaders

[video=youtube;Lopq1QgkzM0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lopq1QgkzM0[/video]

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
^This sums up the game so well! If I look at my controller and press a button to then be able to look up at the screen and then see the character do it is terrible. In fact is one of the gripes I've always had with NBA 2K as well and I hate its guts because of it. If the game continuously locks me out of blocking because of its animations it's wrong and not skill-based. The combos are actually all the same for all characters but the animations are different. Either press X 5 times, Press Y 5 times or alternate X Y. Not much in the way of variation and there's no Signature Skill button or Signature Combo like in RB/Tenkaichi. Apart from Frieza class maybe which it's Ki Blast stuns people.

Take this coming from someone who has reviewed the game badly over and over on the previous pages. You are quite wrong. Each combo can be made useful with different skills slotted in or you just haven't discovered their follow-ups yet since the game does a really shitty job at giving you a tutorial and showing you everything you can do with a base character, nevermind follow-up combos.

Grabbing is great, it can deal tons of damage (more than 5 hits or so) and in cluster**** fights it's downright essential when someone is blocking all your AI pals continuously as well as giving you a breather when you get ganged up.

Vanishing is atrocious. I would understand if it worked right all the time, or if it was meant to replace the inability to block during offensive animations, but it's just bad, most of the time you end up in front of that same combo anyway, or their combo has a sort of a reach-around in their chain which gets you anyway. That "dull" cat and mouse game you talk about is great in Budokai 3 which had a very similar system in place when you and your opponent timed your blocks perfectly one after the other until 1 ran out of Ki if you remember. It's good here too.

Supers are shit but not because of the reason you gave. Aside the fact that they look horrible, they are treated as some sort of tick damage per second per wave burst (eg. watch your combo rack up while enemy is caught in wave) and it's terrible, never-mind the fact they are easy to dodge. Ball attacks and homing attacks are better, the Rush attacks can be good but most of them aren't. What you said in the last sentence doesn't really work because you never know how much stamina your opponent has left. Also, if your Super Ki attack doesn't fire off fast enough eg. it's a charge attack, if the opponent is on the ground he will not take any damage. They do "a lot of damage" (your opinion?) because they are easy to dodge. Oh, and not to mention you can't beam struggle and if you both go for a grab there is no grab struggle either. These mechanics are just plain bad.

The one thing that is the utmost annoying and shit mechanic in this game is the Ki Blasts. They are free to use and they can stun-lock you forever while doing decent damage. Because of being stuck in the damaged animation you can't block either and using your vanish would be stupid because you waste 3 Stamina bars while your opponent doesn't waste anything and it's also not a guarantee that he will fire another set of Ki Blasts to stun-lock you again. Nevermind if you are fighting multiple opponents... Those Ki Blasts combined with the way Blocking works made me quit the game. Simple as that.
Il be more than welcome to take your copy off you back :D

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
First iteration of a new series there are bound to be bugs. Sorry that all the hype made this game a decent seller. I can only hope that the sequel address the many.. many.. many issues. Such as.. 80% of the skills being useless... horrible level size. Not being able to change the time limit(which makes it nearly impossible to finish a 3v3 match. Remove the ridiculous hub world(Menus any day any time). A better net code. More functional combat. Bigger HP pools. Removing the stat system. Balancing the characters. Letting you recolor ALL of the costumes. Improving on the linear combos. Fixing the stupid unreliable lock-on system that causes you to miss even melee attacks. And some actual way to deal with finding more than one opponent at a time.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
First iteration of a new series there are bound to be bugs. Sorry that all the hype made this game a decent seller. I can only hope that the sequel address the many.. many.. many issues. Such as.. 80% of the skills being useless... horrible level size. Not being able to change the time limit(which makes it nearly impossible to finish a 3v3 match. Remove the ridiculous hub world(Menus any day any time). A better net code. More functional combat. Bigger HP pools. Removing the stat system. Balancing the characters. Letting you recolor ALL of the costumes. Improving on the linear combos. Fixing the stupid unreliable lock-on system that causes you to miss even melee attacks. And some actual way to deal with finding more than one opponent at a time.
Good luck getting Namco to listen to that. With all the ludicrous praise this game gets, I'm sure they will get right on fixing that an absolutely not think their game is perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom