DBZ tenkaichi 2 again

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What they need to do someday (thought I doubt it'll ever happen) is make a DBZ game that's exclusively an action rpg, and give it engine similar to Kingdom Hearts (except with larger areas to explore, and faster paced battles + ingame flight). Really, I think that'd kick ass. I know from playing Kingdom Hearts that the special moves can get really cool, quick and powerful. Gaining ability points and unlocking certain melee combos, extra melee follow-ups, special moves (energy attacks can take the place of "Magic") Sound cool? I'd love it :)

Best answers
They tried to make a suedo action-rpg with Sagas and they failed horribly.

Best answers
J-Dude said:
What they need to do someday (thought I doubt it'll ever happen) is make a DBZ game that's exclusively an action rpg, and give it engine similar to Kingdom Hearts (except with larger areas to explore, and faster paced battles + ingame flight). Really, I think that'd kick ass. I know from playing Kingdom Hearts that the special moves can get really cool, quick and powerful. Gaining ability points and unlocking certain melee combos, extra melee follow-ups, special moves (energy attacks can take the place of "Magic") Sound cool? I'd love it :)
They did make action RPG games back on the Famicom. The characters moved around the screen at hyperactive speeds, doing dives, circles, and the like in typical Dragon Ball Z fashion.

There were 4 games, each one dealing with the different chronicles of the series:
-The Saiyajins
-Lord Freeza
-The Androids
-Majin Boo

They even made a derivative, which was half as fast, and took out most of the movement called "Dragon Ball Z - Legend of the Supa Saiyajin" for the Super Famicom. It rolled the story for the first two chronicles into one game, and even featured a what-if scenario (what if Vegita had gone Super Saiyajin?) in which case, it was the hardest battle in the game as Son Gokou and allies made battle with the Saiyajin prince.

Though it's quite possible that a lot of the difficulty came from just having defeated Freeza and having no intermission between fights to heal or the like.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sagas they weren't even trying. There was nothing RPG about it. If they had the same fluidity of motion as KH, (Hell, the same engine) they'd score. That game might've been worth something but they rushed the thing to the shelves long before it was anything worthy of being called a game. To me Sagas is just a quarter-way beta of what it should have been. Atari needs to buckle down and make a serious 3rd person action rpg. KH2 had an engine that with modding (if you could play it on the pc) could become a kickass DBZ game. They already have a transformation/fusion system, special moves/combos and energy. Like I said, you replace the magic spells with energy techniques like the Kamehameha and such and you have a good DBZ game.

Best answers
yeah outside of the the 2nd/3rd(sadly it had no story mode) and hyper dimension super famicon games, I didnt really click with the rpgs
-they also I think the dragon ball one came first (kid goku to the tournament with king piccolo. cause that dragon ball z rpg had the same system set up in terms of control and execution-

=they werent bad, but they were mediocre rpgs=

====
The gameboy had a few dragon ball z rpgs as well (the one i remember even had minigames for goku running on snakeway/king kais training and all that)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

when you go back, you notice that not really alot of the older games were that great
-playstation-
Ultimate battle 22 (what a piece of garbage, but I have a jp copy anyways)
=the sprites/moves/effects were all badly done, nore was the gameplay any good=

Legends (This was more dragon ball Zish -3 on 3 battles at once, but the controls were very easy to use, but every battle was near the same -with that little power struggle meter going back and forth till it filled and you used a special -kamehamaha, etc.. most times you needed to fill that meter 3 times to take out one characters health (since it was the only way to damage thier health)

GT Final Bout (I played this one alot, mostly cause there wasnt anything else when legends is overplayed.. the moves were sometimes pretty unresponsive as well the gameplay felt slow in some areas, but you could fly (which you didnt see in alot of dbz games without being knocked into the air)
-Back when I was in gradeschool I got one of those rare american copies in Texas at a Funcoland(when they still existed.. 60bucks.. ouch my allowance)
==================================

Id say in a way the dragon ball z game deffinatly got better (with exception of sagas)
-I dont agree with you, I really cant even see the thought of a dragon ball Z game that played like kingdom hearts to take off-

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Final Bout is (and I quote) the WORST game ever made for ANY system, let alone the worst Dragonball game. Super slow, unresonsive, no graphics, and the made-up voices drove me insane. They made Vegeta sound like some rich snob! Christ I hate that game...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
Sagas they weren't even trying. There was nothing RPG about it. If they had the same fluidity of motion as KH, (Hell, the same engine) they'd score. That game might've been worth something but they rushed the thing to the shelves long before it was anything worthy of being called a game. To me Sagas is just a quarter-way beta of what it should have been. Atari needs to buckle down and make a serious 3rd person action rpg. KH2 had an engine that with modding (if you could play it on the pc) could become a kickass DBZ game. They already have a transformation/fusion system, special moves/combos and energy. Like I said, you replace the magic spells with energy techniques like the Kamehameha and such and you have a good DBZ game.
Maybe they will make a DBZ Sagas 2, that's actually worth purchasing.

Best answers
Hrmm, so people truly are interested in a DBZ-based RPG? Cause I had planned to make one a time ago, but someone *cough*LEE*cough* told me noone would want to play it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
Hrmm, so people truly are interested in a DBZ-based RPG? Cause I had planned to make one a time ago, but someone *cough*LEE*cough* told me noone would want to play it.
DBZ games need speed, tons of action etc.

Only if an RPG has these elements in some way, even in fighting sequences you don't personally control, then I suppose people would like to play it.

Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
DBZ games need speed, tons of action etc.

Only if an RPG has these elements in some way, even in fighting sequences you don't personally control, then I suppose people would like to play it.
Well, I've got an idea in mind for this -- I don't want to openly discuss it at this point.

But suffice to say, exciting combat is definitely part of the agenda. As you say, the characters won't be DIRECTLY controlled, but the player will still have full control over what they do.

The one thing that might bother some though, is that the game is designed to be multi player-- though there will be a short single player mode to it as well.

I dunno, it's kind of like sex. Sure, you can have fun with yourself, but it's ultimately a lot more fun when other people are involved.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
Well, I've got an idea in mind for this -- I don't want to openly discuss it at this point.

But suffice to say, exciting combat is definitely part of the agenda. As you say, the characters won't be DIRECTLY controlled, but the player will still have full control over what they do.

The one thing that might bother some though, is that the game is designed to be multi player-- though there will be a short single player mode to it as well.

I dunno, it's kind of like sex. Sure, you can have fun with yourself, but it's ultimately a lot more fun when other people are involved.
...Several other people.

I couldn't agree more.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I decided to actually play the game for a challenge, I put the CPU skill on Very Strong, I made a Free Battle match between, Lvl 41 Teen Gohan, Lvl 56 Goku, Lvl 44 Vegeta, and Lvl 27 Trunks with sword, versus all of the fusions, but they are they are all over lvl 50, I tried battling them and I had to rematch 3 times until I could win, the whole time we just kept reversing each other, and no one every got hit, but sooner or later someone died, I spent about an hour rematching until I won, at this point my hands are very tired.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, this might be taking it a little far, but after finishing up the Frieza Saga I gotta say I hit one of the worst Dragon Ball Z fighting games; seen through the eyes of a hardcore fan. The AI of the computer fighters is unbelievably annoying--you'll make your thumb sore for absolutely no reason at all. In the least to say, the Storymode was great during the Saiyan & Namek sagas, but dear god, these games revolve entirely around the fighting mechanics, excluding some of the most important story elements, to the fans. They trimmed down the cutscenes after Frieza, were too lazy to attach some of the Frieza henchmen to the Qui skeleton, rushed the Android saga like there was -no- tomorrow, replaced some of the positives about BK3 with more bug-filled irritations--added a "few" more characters to the regiment, who are what, VERY unimportant? Salza?! Wow, I liked Neiz! Not the *** guy! Being a big fan, I was hoping for more storymode eyecandy, but they gipped me for their terrible habits that earn them cash; developing games that offer rehashed gameplay, annoying AI-behaviours & terrible storymodes. The models in Tenkaichi 2 are probably the best out of game series - the detail is quite impressive, and some of the characters look excellent. On the up side it's nice to see what Spike's cranking out for the series--as a big fan of Dragon Ball I'm delighted to see what's been changed/added, but it's a major disappointment when I only see minor interface changes (any at all in fact - the time it took them to build a new interface they could've used on contemplating gameplay concepts), slight scenery enhancements, rehashed gameplay or frustrating AI, and a half-assed, sloppy mess of a Storymode--the games are being put together by a bunch of non-DB fans who've aimed strictly for a fighting game all the way through 4 games. They're almost there, they just need to rethink some of the idiotic and simple concepts they threw into Sagas. They have the money, but they'll just continue down this same path.

So, I've finished Tenkaichi 2 on the diff. lvl 2, and then played it through again on the diff. level 3 setting. Take my word for it, unless you're a hardcore "DBZ" gamer used to this style of play, I wouldn't even recommend diff. lvl 2, as the AI tend to **** you up, at very odd & unnecessary times.

If you aren't a fan of Dragon Ball Z, and you just happened to buy it, break it, burn it, and I'll pay you the 40 dollars you wasted, plus an extra 20 for burning it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aw, picky picky picky. Count your blessings dude. Sure it's not the end-all beat-all DBZ game but it's getting there. I mean, really...how do you make the perfect DBZ game, while putting time constraints, disc space and budget into the matter? It's tough. Honestly, I think with the coming of the recently released PS3, Atari will finally have what they need to make the DBZ game we've all been waiting so long for. I mean, Tenkaichi 2 with all it's characters, immense story mode and cutscenes must have been hurting for disc space as it was. Not to mention all the audio files needed for story mode cutscenes.

But the PS3 discs and drive now have BlueRay, which will increase the disc space to work with by a lot. We'll probably (in the next generation DBZ game) see full cutscenes with ingame models and effects, but that won't matter, because the graphics will already be so good that they can pass for cutscenes (how hard is it to make a model that passes with cell shading?). They'll probably with the PS3's newly realized power be capable of cell shading the entire environment, not just the characters. They'll also have more room to code an awesome engine, with huge detailed environments. Who knows, it's probably already being developed! And since it's for PS3, I bet they'll make it drastically different from any DBZ game ever made just to catch long-time Budokai players off gaurd and "wow" us all. Good things take time, but great things happen all at once =)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmmm, you say that, but imo esf is still way better, maybe it doesn't have the uber graphics or the amount of characters, but the gameplay is still way beyond any official dbz game I've played, and its still just a beta.

Every game thats come out for ps2 or psx, I frantically get my hands on it, cant wait to see what it plays like (with the exception of super dragonball here), they all get old and repetative way too fast, there's hardly anything to the games rather than out button mash your opponent. The game modes are frustrating, poorly done scene's, awful customisation, there's very little replay value there =\ I like games where I can come back to it and get a sense of achievement every time I play, rather than I'm doing it just to unlock every god damn character so I can duel my friends freely. The difficulty of the levels tends not to be about the computer AI in melee, its more like, how many times it spams certain moves.

I know I sound like Im just dragging tenkaichi through the dirt, but It's not my intention, I like the game really, It just doesnt have that staying power for me.

Best answers
In terms of the current version of ESF (1.2.3) I cant say I find it any more replayable than Tenkaichi 2 -at least for now Tenkaichi 2 is alot more fun to me-

--Its not a perfect game though--
Story mode even it has all the sagas/movies/GT saga still felt tacked on and they hardly emphasised on the story instead filled it with battles with requirements that contradicted what was watched in the series
=Win the Battle= etc, next story scene your character is flat out on the ground and you have to fight again with a nother character to end up flat out on the ground (oh the wonder of filler battles)

Certain characters AI play like clockwork, and easily are abused by yourself if you feel you want to be cheap (knock away super 17 for the hundreth time, cause he constantly rushes toward you just waiting for that full power smash backwards again)
-regular 17s Delta spam, man there were some oppenents I just felt that nothing more than beam spam would take of, or heck rush spam-

Tournaments have some issues as well (I almost regret fusion to get the great ape forms of the sayans.. they shouldnt allow giant monkeys in tournaments)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I've been playing esf for 4 years or so, I've played tenkaichi for 3 weeks. I have less interest in tenkaichi. Only thing tenkaichi is good for is fighting with your mates, but then you come across the problems of character selection, and there still are many spammable things in the game, and if you have friends that dont like losing, they'll either spam, or complain.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
Well, I've been playing esf for 4 years or so, I've played tenkaichi for 3 weeks. I have less interest in tenkaichi. Only thing tenkaichi is good for is fighting with your mates, but then you come across the problems of character selection, and there still are many spammable things in the game, and if you have friends that dont like losing, they'll either spam, or complain.
This is pretty much all ESF has been for the past 3 years.

With less options for melee, less characters, less transformations, less attacks, less destructible environments, worse graphics, and no cutscenes or story mode.

Honestly you can't hold the designers of BT2 responsible if your friends are gonna play like douchebags.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
See, this is how my mates and I play. Hit random for the characters and random for stage. That way its all based on luck. If the characters are just too overpowered vs an underpowered person (Yairobi vs. SSJ4 Gogeta) then we redo it. That way, its based on skill and not who you pick. And what is there to spam? Moves can't be preformed over and over and over. Its easy to get back up and dash right in the face of your opponent. Or, if they do shot a beam, hit circle and you dodge it. They made this game WAY easier then T1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom