current wips

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It does look alot better, I wish I could reach out and play with his wrinkles.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did another one, this time with a Kenobi refference. Not sure which one is better though, it is pretty hard to judge the images without actual hair on top of his head (which seemingly gives him a huge forehead in this image, though normally, hair would mask this forehead somewhat, stretched textures also help with enlarging his forehead). Though I may also have misjudged the top of Kenobi's head.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Is anyone else feel like they are going to have horrendous nightmares of flying obiwan faces chasing you.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
copy/pasting from a different forum. cos i'm a lazy bum:

hey guys. just wanted to show you a little of what i'm working on.

currently we're mulling about with a customisation system which will hopefully allow players to have a richer gaming experience. in that they can make their own character, and personality etc.
personally i feel this is an important part of a multiplayer experience, from my own point of view, i don't like thinking that i'm not the only guy who looks like me!

with that in mind, the customisation system i'm planning out (note: still in design brief stages), should allow for a pretty diverse system, whereby players can alter things such as skin tone, and eye colour. as well as the shape of various facial features, and even their characters overall proportions (fat/thin etc.) within certain limits.

this post will highlight the skin tone system. the facial structure changes will come later.

here's the custom material:

now, things will change later... the specular map will be part of a texture sheet that combines several different masks. rather than being in the alpha channel of the normalmap. but this was just something to demonstrate certain abilities within UDK.

you'll see that there's a "base" diffuse map, which is largely just to keep generalised colour areas of the face... cheeks are pink, forhead is yellowish, chin is blueish, that kind of thing.
this is then combined with a single colour (masked for intensity), which will give us our end diffuse result.
that result is then inverted (colour only), and multiplied right down for a specular colour value which matches every skin tone generated. which means that we only need a specular map for intensity, instead of colour AND intensity. the colour is generated from the diffuse (makes filesize smaller, among other things).

here are some example skintones generated from that one node. please note, that i'm aware that the darker skin tone looks strange on a guy with very obvious caucasian facial structure.

edit:
because i had an extra 10 minutes, here's that last skintone, but i've moved the verticies around on the mesh (everything else is the same. same UVW map, same normalmap, same diffuse etc.)
this is how the "core" of the customisation system will function once it's all programmed in and working.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
regarding the obi-wan, sure yeah you can tell who it is because of everything else but the face itself doesnt resemble alec guiness on the least, no more than one old man looks like another anyways.

itll take more than a few wrinkles to tackle this

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
⚡Sūpā Regula-jin
Best answers
ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good luck sticking it in your pc. :p

Also, great work dude. Very detailed.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

got some posed shots up on the folio site, need to do the topless shots next!

Best answers
Wow, your work is almost spot-on. Very well done! I will comment on the two most recent additions. There's something not quite right with the girl's face. To me it seems like her eyes are just a little too close together. Both her and Sephiroth have a either a bit too much space between their noses and mouths or perhaps the space above the upper lip just seems a bit swollen, or maybe it's just the shape/angle of the lips... Something between the lips and nose is drawing my attention. Those are the only things that stand out to me. Otherwise these two pieces look amazing. That Sephiroth would make a perfect action figure! Keep it up brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom