Crysis 2

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So there are a lot of articles and **** that talk about how Crysis 2 is nothing more than a console port, because it doesn't even come with dx11 blah blah blah. Whatever. I played the multiplayer demo for a bit, was a little worried. Felt a little too much like CoD, and not enough like Crysis. I haven't played multiplayer since so my opinion on that is unchanged as of now.

However, single player is raptor jesus awesome so far. It's beautiful as ****, and plays silky smooth on my nvidia 5200fx, 500 mhz, 1 gig ram rig. I couldn't believe it. And you shouldn't either, because it's bull****. But it is optimized to all hell, and looks better than Crysis while chugging a hell of a lot less (a lot less meaning not at all).

There are little things that bother me, and are probably a result of the consolification of the game, but I'll deal. Those little things include crouch being a toggle (lame), no prone (really?) and checkpoints vs. quick saves/loads. The last one really bothers me because, to me, it hinders my ability to be creative with my approaches to taking out the enemy. Whereas in Crysis I would quick save right before an encounter and run in with a pistol and see how many dudes I could take out before they kill me, just because, I now find that I'm playing a lot more carefully, and with less hollywood tactics. That's both good and bad. Good, if you want to maintain some semblance of realism in a game filled with aliens and powersuits, and bad if you like to try random things out just for the hell of it. All in all, not a big deal on the initial playthrough. I don't know how it's going to affect additional runs, though.

Also, there's no lean button, but lean still exists. Basically, you can lean in the direction you're closest to the wall if you hold mouse 2 while hiding. Same goes for hiding behind a barrier or car. Hold mouse 2 and you'll pop out, shoot a few rounds, release and you're back down. A little more automatic than I'm used to, but it isn't terrible.

Gunplay feels good. I'd say better than Crysis as everyone seemed to be wearing dragon skin body armor or better at all times. In this one, they're going down, as they should. I can't tell if they're more tactically proficient in 2 than in 1 yet. I'm adjusting to 2's playstyle so it'll be a bit before I can get a lock on their behaviors. They also aim better now on the hardest difficulty, but it doesn't feel like they're aimbotting you (my biggest gripe with the CoD franchise).

It's a little linear compared to Crysis, although it also feels a bit like Deus Ex in that you're given an objective, and there are multiple ways to get to that objective. But it isn't like the first where I could go mountain climbing or deep sea diving and ignore the PKA whenever I felt like it.

Anyone else get it yet?

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Still playing it, still really liking it. The enemies do seem smarter. When someone doesn't check in, a fire team will start patrolling towards their last known position. If you blatantly kill someone, either without a silencer or without standing behind cover, they'll pretty much assault your position. But then there's the flip side to that. I don't know if 1 or 2 enemies glitched or what, but once or twice I fired right by an enemy's face and he kinda looked around and kept doing whatever he was doing. Other than that, pretty good AI.

I'm not sure if the story was explained at some point and I missed it entirely or what, but I'm pretty much piecing **** together as I go, so I can't really say anything in terms of how good or bad it is. I mean, it's somewhat obvious what happened, in terms of "They invaded the **** out of NYC", but the events directly preceding that escape me. If piecing it together was intended, then good on them as it makes me look around and listen to the radios. If not, I probably should have played closer attention to the beginning instead of explaining to my console-only buddy what Crysis was all about.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
After I recieve my new motherboard and build the new rig this weekend, I'll likely hit up the Crysis demo to see the glory of the not-939-old setup.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hybrid/Sub said they shut down the mp demo for Crysis 2. Hopefully something comes along at some point because the lack of a demo discouraged him.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Every game apparently has to have something that COD does or people discard it. WHAT!? NO KILLSTREAKS? GAY!

This is pretty much what everyone is has been complaining about. The game makes you work for killstreaks and all this other crap. I played the Multiplayer on 360 and thought it was pretty fun. Though I gotta say the game does seem a bit.... I dunno how to put it really.

I think I might have to stick to Homefront til Battlefield 3 comes out.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Is the broken lobby system still active in the release version? In the demo I couldn't play a single match because the game never started.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is the broken lobby system still active in the release version? In the demo it couldn't play a single match because the game never started.
It did that a lot to me as well. I got to play 3 games and that was it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Every game apparently has to have something that COD does or people discard it. WHAT!? NO KILLSTREAKS? GAY!

This is pretty much what everyone is has been complaining about. The game makes you work for killstreaks and all this other crap. I played the Multiplayer on 360 and thought it was pretty fun. Though I gotta say the game does seem a bit.... I dunno how to put it really.

I think I might have to stick to Homefront til Battlefield 3 comes out.
Played Homefront. The game is pretty much garbage. If you think its enjoyable, you'll love crysis 2 online.

@Fuzzy: They fixed that towards the end of the demo.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Played Homefront. The game is pretty much garbage. If you think its enjoyable, you'll love crysis 2 online.

This is why I never bothered with the first Crysis. I was on that game's pre launch beta test, and I could never get in the game from the lobby. Glad to see they sorted that out in time for the launch of Crysis 2.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I sure hope so. I still think the lobby is kinda unnecessary. Not even Battlefield has one. :D

This first Crysis was kinda meh in MP, especially due to mostly invulnerable VTOLs lagging through the skies. The net code is very bad from my point of view. The server coverage too, which makes bad net code even worse. :D
I hope they fixed that.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The game is actually getting more awesome as I progress. Big surprise to me, after having had played DA2 recently.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I finished Crysis 2 today. Took about 7 hours to play through. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said other than that I really, really like the game. Story was kind of ... weird, but I liked it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ive been playing it nonstop and still havent beat it. You really should have restarted on the hardest difficulty.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm happy with the game. I'll replay it again on a harder difficulty sometime, but for now I have to play through Crysis 1 and Warhead. I played about 20 minutes of Crysis 1 after beating 2 and it was kind of a shock how much harder 1 was, at least on the difficulties I played on.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't like the Multiplayer too much.... It is a bit... Easy. Now the Single Player, my god is it fun.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm about 45 minutes in and really really like it so far. The aliens don't piss me off this time around.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this game runs flawless, graphics and physics are awesome, AI is pretty good.

I think I'm at the last level, but Ima call it a day.. so tired.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Downloaded it a few days ago, after Nix mentioned it in chat.

I miss the scariness of the first game, the lead up towards seeing the first alien creature in game was great. :(
I'm really liking it too, however it's not a game that makes me want to play continuously for some reason. Aliens, imo, feel kinda underpowered, compared to human enemies. But that might be the difficulty setting.
Also, yes it's gorgeous, while being silky smooth at the same time. Some effects do look cheap, like flares, but besides that.. simply amazing.

It's not the type of game I'd play more then once though, especially because of the checkpoint bull**** nix mentioned. Personally I was a big fan of quick saves just because of going all rambo, or trying several approaches, purely to see the suit in action and what it was capable of.

It's a game I'll keep though, purely for future eye candy. When I get a new rig or something.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyone not playing this on the hardest difficulty is doing a disservice to themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom