Connecting a Hard Drive and a CD Drive

Best answers
Ok here is my problem, well, not really a problem just wondering if i can do this or not. Right now, i have a 80GB hard drive that i need to hokeup and 1 DVD drive. My motherboard only has 1 connection for the cable. So while im waiting for my ATA PCI adapter, i was wondering if i could hoke the harddrive up to the slave end of the cable and the DVD drive up to the Master end of the cable, and do it from there. Im not sure if that will work, but i guess it doesnt hurt to try.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeh you can.
I did this too.
Had 1 IDE Cable with 2 ends for slave and master. And it worked.

Best answers
phew, good, i was afraid i was going to get some bad news. thanks.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do it the other way around, you want the HDD as master, and DVD as slave. Make sure you have a 3 terminal ribbon/round cable and that you set the jumpers properly.

Best answers
Ok, i have a few more problems with my new system. When i try to install windows xp, it gets maybe about half way, untill i heard something. It sounded like a buz, then the system frooze. I thought maybe it was something not hoked up right with my hard drive cause that sounded like it slowed down during installation. Another thing is, i got an Abit Fatal1ty AA8XE mobo, and when i start my pc up, it gives the system failure noise for about 3-5 sec. then the system shuts down. If anyone has any knowledge on this board, can you please help me out. Thanks.

Best answers
Could be bad ram, bad hdd, bad vid card, corrupt bios.......try switching out ram from another comp and see if it works.

Best answers
Well everything in my system is brand new, Video card, sound card, ram(just got today) things like that are all new. Before it started doing all this, it did work. So maybe it is my hard drive, but ill try my hard drive in another pc to see if that works, and i cant try ram out of another system because it holds DDR2 so i hope its not that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom