Computer Starts but Monitor shows Blank.

Best answers
Maybe a long shot, but before you buy a new motherboard, try to run it outside the case. Maybe it's just slightly bent or short-circuiting on it in some other way.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just to clear up a couple of things.

I started it again and it seems there is one beep. So far i think the motherboard is fine. Also, i both bench tested it and case tested it, both no go.

And i think i have made a breakthrough, I somehow acquired a completely different PC and tried it, and its still not showing. So that makes me believe that the problem IS related to the monitor, even though when i connect it to my Laptop, it works fine. It seems to be a really old LCD Monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 172N. Can having old monitor drivers cause this problem?

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
having old monitors does kinda present a problem best to get a new one or try changing the Vga Cable

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What DiebytheSword said. Though it's weird that's there's no beeps. Could be a failure to power up the mobo properly at all. If it was just a faulty CPU, though, DiebytheSword, it should beep at him. Same for just a GPU. I'd bet his mobo is seriously shot. You could test other components by plugging them into other computers.
Quite right, should POST even with a bad or missing cpu. No POST, its likely chipset or capacitor damage. Try what hars said first, it is an oustide shot, but it may do the trick. You should hear HDD activity as it tries to pick up the bootstrap and run the OS, if you hear nothing from the HDD, and there is no HDD activity light, your computer has not exited POST, which means there is a critical hardware failure. (Mobo, RAM, CPU, Chipset)

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well a single beep usually means VGA Detected (functioning GPU). Monitor just might be toast. Try if with a dif monitor.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have tried everything you guys have said, including trying it on a new monitor. I don't get it, I just can't seem to find the cause of the problem. And i've been on a PC since i was 5 years old.

Ugh.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I quickly went over the previous post and I don't recall seeing any specs although it may not be important then it might give a clue to what may be the problem.

It sounds like you've done most of the stuff you should to troubleshoot so you might have already covered this but what I would do is, pull the cmos battery off the motherboard, take out the motherboard out and set it on something non conductive.

Pull everything off the motherboard except the cpu and it's heatsink.

Connect the power connectors for the motherboard (I guess you might have to take out the psu if the cables don't reach). Put the Cmos battery back.

I don't think you need to connect a keyboard or mouse, so just leave them disconnected.

Make sure your monitor is off. Connect the monitor to the on-board gpu, turn on the monitor and power up the motherboard, you probably have to short it using a screw driver.

See if anything happens.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tried it exactly as you said. Still no go.

I am having someone come over and check it out. I really hope its something stupid on my part.

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
maybe a random thing but you could try moving your jumper to reset bios and put it back.

Try everything possible before buying new things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom