combining 6 cylinders

Best answers
majin vegeta

well i have been off line most of this vacation, and i probably will again as soon as im ok again (got a flue), cuz of traveling but as for now ill start modeling again, some of you might remember my super buu well i found a new way of modeling wich should bring alot better progress and resoults, but i need a hint on how to combine cylinders so that max (3d studio max) accepts 3 cylinders as 1 object if anyone knows id appreciate a little help on this one, i made a test majin vegeta wich i think tourns out greatly (for my 2cond model that is) but i need this to finish it and start the skinning.
thank you in advance.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
klik right mouse button go to editible mesh then upstairs it says atach or sumthink klik on that then on the other objects then u can edit it as one

Best answers
thanks alot! but could you possible provide screenies cuz it seems i cant find attach i select three tubes then right click and press convert to editable mest probably all wrong but as i said im a almost total newb i kno its a torment to handle dorks like me buuuut (and heres a free upload site even tho ya probably already kno one image host ) if ya do id be ekstremly gratefull but until then id decided to post a pic of my model. and if tridan or others from powers unleashed read this i am stil interrested in modeling for ya but i cant work on my comp in the vacation time too much to do but as soon as school starts ill do it this is just to test the new way of modeling.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
doesnt have to be an editable mesh. just select one of the cylinders, right click, then click attatch and click the other two cylinders, simple as that:)

Best answers
oh then i got it all wrong thanks alot to bothy of ya for helpin me even tho im a newb. now i can get on making the gloves feet and head btw to get propper critz should i ask a mod to lock this and make a new thread or just keep it here? (i know i reply fast but im friggin sick cant do anything else this will proberbly be done TODAY)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
haha just reply here. either post images with flatshading, so we can see the polies, or with wireframes over a smooth render, that way we can crit on how the model is actually built..

Best answers
Ahh thx alot ill post a flatshade and a wirefram over a smoothshade right after i finished the side view its ok right now but i havent started on it for real yet i will as soon as i get a decent ref of him seen from the side.

Best answers
hey you want a good tip for 3ds max ?

here goes ... its kind of complicated at first but stick with me

Go to the create tab, then hit the button to the right of the geometry button.

you should see the options to make lines

Now take the line tool, set both things to corner not beizer

Now, Draw the eyes in front veiw

now go to Modify tab hit vertex, hit move button, Line up all verts in the Side veiw so it looks good, pan around it abit check everything so it looks nice.

Now do the chin line, then the cheek line. Essentially you are taking all the points in the face, and setting up your structure, or a frame

Once your Frame for the face is complete [ dont get me wrong this takes time. but if you do this you take out almost all the guess work before you even start ] Then you use poly by poly modeling to create the face and you line it all up with your frame :)

I usually spend 30 - 40 minutes Drawing out the frame before i start ... its usually smooth sailing after frames done.

Gives results like this (this is my vegetto model ) http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~sos/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4878

I would post a picture of the actual Frame but im to lazy to go upstairs make a screeny, then post it.
:D o_o

Best answers
wow thx alot im doing the head next so ya came just in time with that tip :D
have some tips on how to make the nose look right... for some reason i never get it right.
And theres actually 1 more thing i dont get... when i start poly by poly modeling its shown in flatshade while the rest of my model is shjown smooth how do ya get it so its smothshaded like the rest?

Best answers
Select polygon, select all your polys then
*edit* Scroll down your modify tab *edit*
hit clear all, then pick a number, [ to stay organized pick 1 ]

Each number is a Smoothing group, So, its a good idea to go through your model and play with smoothing groups, you can ad ALOT of definition to something by merely changing its smoothing group.

as for the nose, Draw wat you want it to look like with the line tool in the side veiw
then draw the base of the nose in the front veiw, line them up and go from there ;) and remember the nose is a simple objet for anime, so dont go all out with it, keep it simple.

btw, are you using mesh or poly ?

I use poly because the excellent cut tool, in mesh its a bit lacking.
but i also switch alot back to mesh to use the edge extrude tool.
because its goofy with poly.
http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~sos/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4896
http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~sos/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4897
http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~sos/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4898

I hope those help ;)

Best answers
wow thanks alot, i kno im cind of a burdon but... i love youre vegetto its great have you already done the body and if yes do ya have any cool methods of doing it like what ya told with the head its just that the way i used to do it i always mess up the whole model...
again thx alot for the tip.

Best answers
well, fore the body, i usually start with the neck, then make the chest, leave a hole in the sides for arms, then i go back to the belt / pants

for arms, i go poly by poly and i make each muscle then connect them,

Deltoid, bicep, tricep, then elbow, then forearm. i strongly suggest you find some good anatomy pics, (the ones in the sticky in this forum are excellent) then follow them.

The Frame thing doesnt really work too well for body mainly because its hard to judge proportions without seeing it built, i usually just wing it for the body.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom