Codemasters to sell half of game, other half DLC.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-16-codies-versus-pre-owned-game-sales

F1 2010 creator Codemasters has a novel idea it could use to combat the threat of second hand videogame sales – sell half a game in shops and the other half as downloadable content.

That, according to CEO Rod Cousens, would not only help tackle the earnings lost from used game sales but piracy, too.

"It's not inconceivable to say that we send out a Formula One game that's not complete - maybe it's got six tracks," he told Eurogamer sister site GamesIndustry.biz.

"Then they have to buy their next track, and you follow it around the world. When you turn up in Abu Dhabi you have to pay for the circuit, and whatever the changes are to the cars that are put through.

"That, I think, would deal with a lot of it, and also address the pre-owned."

If Codies follows through on its idea, it expects resistance from shops.

"What we have to figure out is how we're going to work together to make this happen," Cousens said.

"If retail takes a confrontational point of view and says that if we go online, they won't stock the box - and publishers then say that all they're going to do is put out DLC after launch that retail can't participate in... it's ridiculous.

"Actually, you need them to get to the stage where they stock the box. It's not inconceivable that you're going to ask them to give the box away at some point in time. But then, they participate to an extent in the subsequent DLC exploitation."

Ah, exploitation. How we've missed you.

**** you Codemasters, piracy isn't your problem, it's your poorly coded, bug-ridden games!

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really mind. Less content equals smaller game. Smaller game means a faster download. The faster I can find out that codemaster released another ****ty game that isn't worth my time to begin with.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DLC is a great idea.

Publishers who build a game and expect to sell it in two portions are the devil.

Seriously, I know piracy is pretty rampart in the video game community and that nothing is sacred, but seriously, DLC is not the way to combat it simply because greedy publishers are using it, not to protect their intellectual property, but to suck more money out of the legitimate paying customers.

Take Bioshock 2, the DLC pack was just a few multiplayer maps, skins, guns, pretty small stuff, but the download was less than 1mb. Why? Because the software was already contained in the original install and the "DLC" you bought simply unlocked it, that's a perfect example of publishers making a game, then cutting bits and pieces to make at a later date, and it annoys the crap outta me.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And it's disgusting. BC2 does the same thing, but least they release it free. I wish every other dev studio released free maps like Valve, or let us have the means to make our own content.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not all DLC is bad though, the Mass Effect DLC is probably some of the best, they're additional pieces of functionality that isn't really a huge part of the game but depending on the pack are sometimes worth the $5 you need to pay for it. I never buy things like skins and junk like that, but if they're gonna add a playable level or group of missions that I've no issue with spending the money.

DLC becomes a problem when greedy developers take pieces OUT of the game in order to sell it back to the consumer at a later date.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not all DLC is bad though, the Mass Effect DLC is probably some of the best, they're additional pieces of functionality that isn't really a huge part of the game but depending on the pack are sometimes worth the $5 you need to pay for it. I never buy things like skins and junk like that, but if they're gonna add a playable level or group of missions that I've no issue with spending the money.

DLC becomes a problem when greedy developers take pieces OUT of the game in order to sell it back to the consumer at a later date.
You mean like assassins creed 2?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I only remember the ubisoft points DLC things for AC2, which you can get all the DLC in one full playthrough of the game. I stopped playing that game after I finished it.

That game had other issues, most namely the DRM (which to be fair I never personally had an issue with).

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as i know you had to buy a DLC that was pretty much chapters 13, 14, 15 of the game storyline itself, or rather a subplot with its own cahracters and all integrated into the main plot, yet you could not get 100% of the game without it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh right, I bought the black edition special for PC which had absolutely everything in it (and a cool Ezio action figure!) so I never had that problem, but yeah now that you mention it, that was pretty dirty.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to say Codemaster has made the best Racing Game yet. GRID that is.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't mind DLC... sometimes companies are stuck to deadlines and can't add everything they want to a game, or they completely fill up a disc.

It's when they constantly advertise the DLC and distract from the gameflow (Dragon Age: Origins) ...that gets really annoying.

Also, nice publicity stunt... "Codemasters"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't mind DLC when it's done the way DLC is meant to be, additional content that adds to the game and is no enough to be a stand alone expansion. What sickens me is a game release and with the game 3 DLC packs are released. Esp if it's a full price game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't mind DLC when it's done the way DLC is meant to be, additional content that adds to the game and is no enough to be a stand alone expansion. What sickens me is a game release and with the game 3 DLC packs are released. Esp if it's a full price game.
While still stupid, it's ok if the DLC packs are free (i.e. ME2's DLC packs that were available on release).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom