Cintiq 21 UX Tablet... i bought one...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, in the happy world where everyone uses a tablet, i thought i realy needed one myself...
It all startedi when i decided that i will start my own business, and after a few years im a happy owner of one of the finest companies in my region, i even hire a few people ! so naturaly i started loking for a grant, which will boost up my studio arsenal with new toys, and so i got one a few months ago...

i bought 2 Cintiq 21 ux tablets, few laptops and desktops, andddd, yeah !!! Cintiqs !!!!

i've saw countelss videos about them, every profesional studio had them, Wacom says that they are incredibly efficient, scratch resistant new Gen tablets which will solve all of teh 2D artist needs... so what can be wrong with such a expensive super duper tool ?

First day, it arrived, i unboxed it, ( Cintiq is so damn heavy) puted it on my desk, instaled all the drivers, pluged in all the cables ( Cintiq has 1 big, which than devides into 3 smaler ones ), took the pen and.... Magic... simply amazing, the feel of it, the precision, simply pure magic. Just 1 thing, the feel when the pen touches the display, felt a bit hard, like im doing damage to the display, at first i was kinda scary that im actualy scratching it, but after a few weeks of sculpting i kinda get used to the feel.

Also ehe glass it self gets a bit hot after a few hours of use, but nothing major, which would stop you from working on it, the problems started later...

i Started to notice some small scratches on the display... yes... a tablet which costs like 3000 $ scratches itself from the pen... i wear no watch, no other jewelry, i always got my nails cuted, and i hold the pen in a way which only makes the tip touch the display, so the conclusion is preety simple, the pen nib scratches the surface, it realy does ...

i felt that i got a foulty display, couse i realy coulden't belive that such a expensive tablet scratches from the pen ( Wacom, realy ?) as it turns out of what i found on the net, (Ya, rly )

here are links to the threads i found on the net, aparently Wacom is aware of the problem, and in realy minor cases they exchange the foulty ones, their customer support is the worst thing i encauntered from quite a long time...

http://blog.milowerx.com/?p=560
http://www.drawingboard.org/viewtopic.php?t=54600
http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=620

and so i decided to mail Wacom my self, they don't realy care that i was ready to invest in buying more cintiqs for the company in the future, this is what they wrote...

"Dear Mister Bury,

Wacom is trying to give the best product and services to its customers. We are sorry, if you are not satisfied with your Cintiq.

The surface of the Cintiq tablets is made from glass and specially treated in an expensive chemical process to reduce glare while at the same time increasing the resistance against scratches.

However, when you press a pentip against the surface there is naturally a certain wear on the surface.

The pen nibs are designed so that they have more wear and will eventually get sharp edges.

As mentioned in the manual the nibs should therefore get exchanged frequently in order to avoid damage of the surface.

Unfortunately it is not possible to avoid such wear and tear completely and that may show after a long time of intense usage.

Wear and tear of any device under heavy usage is normal and explicitely excluded from the tablet warranty.

It is possible to exchange the tablet surface in the Wacom service center, if necessary, but please understand that this is not a free service.

Best wishes,

Fabien Vidal

Wacom technical Support"

Changing the pen nibs couse they scratch ? realy ? after a few weeks ? some people got scratches on the first day mister Fabien !

and also, put this info on your web page, in the manual, there is no such info dear Wacom... the only thing you say is that the screen is sratch resistant, so why exchange nibs if you sell a scratch resistant surface?? no logic in this..

Wacom sells Cintiqs as : (Taken from their website) "Tablets with high quality scratch resistan glass", they just forget to tell you that it's not realy that scratch resistant as they tell you it is...

If you realy want to invest in a Cintiq, buy a ultra clean foil from Zapp, use it from the start, (ordered 2 of em ) don't use a Cintiq in the way they tell you to, without any screen protectors, couse you will be veryyy angry,

to sum it up, Wacom sucks all the way, they realy do...

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It has been a pleasure reading this.

We should use this thread to put each one our own experience's with a certain product, so we end up with a massive portfolio.

How many forum's can say they attempted such a brilliant idea??

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Really? I have the 12WX Cintiq (love it to death) and I have been using it for over a year with the same nib and there are not that many scratches on it. Most of it is probably from my watch but when the screen i on I see nothing but a half-inch scratch that I do not believe was the pen's fault. I have noticed the pen nib wear, but it's still not at the point where I need to replace it due to scratching.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aren't Wacom pens notorious for wearing down really quickly?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
ye, they wear down mad fast, and they don't realy include much of them with the actual tablet...

im reading some more topisc bout wacom's precious customer support, i found a thread where a dude had like 7 dead pixels, and they told him that they won't replace it, couse warranty dosen't support it xdddddd

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom