Character Modelling Query

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hi there!

I'm a character modeller/animator currently in my last year of university studying game design and stumbled across your request for character models in ESF.

I would love to make a few characters for you guys whether you want them or not. I used to play ESF quite some years back and would love to contribute back to guys for making this awesome game. I was wondering what would be the poly count maximum for your characters in the game so I have a target. Is there anything I should be aware of whilst creating the model? Do you just need diffuse, normal and spec maps?

I was thinking of making Gotenks, SS Trunks (without jacket) or Uub :p

Hopefully I can be of service! ;)

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Poly limit is around 6k tris but +2k is not a problem. The models use diffuse,normal and specular textures. Also the only thing i can think of what else is needed is an understanding of vertex weights(up to 4 bones per vertex)

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Maybe try making one of the Androids ?

Best answers
Poly limit is around 6k tris but +2k is not a problem. The models use diffuse,normal and specular textures. Also the only thing i can think of what else is needed is an understanding of vertex weights(up to 4 bones per vertex)
SERIOUSLY?
only a maximum of 4k quads?
Raven sayed it was up to 7k quads and not triangles :-/
And binkie, they already have trunks, and uub wont be ingame anyway (no movies, no fillers, no gt >__>)
I am making android 16 and even if i fail making it look good enough, they already have one, but, you can make cell or android 17 or 18

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Sweet, no worries. How about Android 13 (not super one). Always thought he was pretty cool although a bit of a redneck :p

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SERIOUSLY?
only a maximum of 4k quads?
Raven sayed it was up to 7k quads and not triangles :-/
And binkie, they already have trunks, and uub wont be ingame anyway (no movies, no fillers, no gt >__>)
I am making android 16 and even if i fail making it look good enough, they already have one, but, you can make cell or android 17 or 18
Actualy its polygons if we want to be speciffic. Besides Ryo said 6k but an aditional 2k (so 8k) shouldnt be much of an issue.

In any case hop on to our TS channel if you need any more details. While we are not there 24/7 you should find someone in there most of the time. Especially evening europe time youll usually find a few people on.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aww, man. How about Super Android 17?
You can try making it if you want, though as far as official stuff goes. We are sticking to the no DBGT, no DBZ movies and no DBZ fillers rule. Though i do seem to remember a certain Tienshinhan that was supposed to be a community project ;)

Or since we dont really have a solid plan for Krillin. Why not make Yamcha. That way we might go buddy system with him.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If he's actually thinking of joining the team (or even creating one model just to help), I would imagine it'd be better to talk to Raven or even GG so you can get a trial. Having an official assignment for what to create would probably be more beneficial than just creating a random character that may possibly not be used. That's the way I see it, though.

Also, do you have any pictures of some of your recent work?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If he's actually thinking of joining the team (or even creating one model just to help), I would imagine it'd be better to talk to Raven or even GG so you can get a trial. Having an official assignment for what to create would probably be more beneficial than just creating a random character that may possibly not be used. That's the way I see it, though.

Also, do you have any pictures of some of your recent work?
I don't necessarily need to join the team, I'd just like to made a model for myself and I would present it to you guys. If you want the model, take it, if not, no skin off anyone's nose :) Just let me know which model, as there seems to be quite a few restrictions.

I have a video up on YouTube showing my first 1.5 years work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoDT6ARWjKc

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Or since we dont really have a solid plan for Krillin. Why not make Yamcha. That way we might go buddy system with him.
Sure, I can make Yamcha. Long haired or short haired Yamcha? :)

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well as we saw with jeice. Long hair doesnt animate to well on low poly models with a limited bone count. So short hair would brobably be better.

Earth's Guardian
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Well as we saw with jeice. Long hair doesnt animate to well on low poly models with a limited bone count. So short hair would brobably be better.
so what will you guys do about ssj3 goku's hair then?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I really enjoyed your reference assignment! Liked those animations in there, and held a bit higher standard than your other works! I hope it goes well with Yamcha, I would start of by looking at the other models already made to get the feel for how they look like and then find some really good references of Yamcha! Good luck and don't forget to show off your progress here!

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hello bink.ie,
pls come and talk to me on either, TS, Steam, ICQ, MSN, WhatsApp or by Email and I will hook you up with all the information required and proper request.

Thx in advance
Raven

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Agreed we should test him on real work :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom