Can't start my own local server....or join another game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
Hi, I recently downloaded Steam, half-life, and esf from the www.esforces.com website, so i do not have a CD key. I do have steam and I did get the new 1.2.3 in accordance with the "how to ask..." section:

Are you trying to run any ESF add-ons? No

What game are you trying to install ESF into? i installed esf first, then when I installed steam, steam put esf in its directory

Are you behind a router or firewall? no

Are all your drivers updated? yes

What in-game video mode are you using? i think the 640 setting, if thats the question.

If you have an error message, what is the exact error message? well the thing is I can't start my own local server, it says "starting" then just goes back to the main screen. When I try to join another server I get the "missing event melee script sounds". I did what the FAQ sheet said; went to program files/then esf/ created a file called "events" and made a blank file in notepad which i saved as meleesounds.sc. Unfortunately this did nothing. what is wrong?? this is getting really irritating. why can't i start my own server??

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You need to install Steam first, then you need to register your copy of Half-Life to your Steam account, then install ESF.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you sure you followed this guide in installing ESF?

ESF will NOT work with any game other than Half-Life 1

1. Download Steam.

2. Run the .exe file you just downloaded to install Steam and let it update completely. You will need your CD-Key from the back of your Half-Life 1 case.

3. When Steam is finished updating, turn it on.

4. Under the "Games" selection in the Steam toolbar, select "Activate a product on Steam..." and input your CD-Key.

5. Once your CD-Key is authenticated, download Half-Life 1 from Steam and let it update completely.

6. Once that is done, run Half-Life 1 once.

7. Download ESF v1.2.3 full installer.

8. Run the installer.

9. It will point to the correct directory for you, so just hit install. The directory should look somewhat like this :
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Your Account\half-life\esf

10. ESF should now appear in your games list.

11. Double-click and enjoy!

If not, then you should. That error you're getting is probably because you're using WON, and not Steam. Even though you have it, you probably haven't installed it correctly. Don't feel bad though. You're one of the smarter and more reasonable newbies to recently join the board. You should've seen this Xerius guy xD

Best answers
no your not getting it. I don't have a CD key because everything I downloaded was off this website. I also downloaded the 1.2.3 version of esf. the thing i don't understand was that about a week ago I could play esf. I could even get on some other servers. now its just not working. I can play half-life, i'm playing it now, but i DO NOT have a cd key for any of the games.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no your not getting it. I don't have a CD key because everything I downloaded was off this website. I also downloaded the 1.2.3 version of esf. the thing i don't understand was that about a week ago I could play esf. I could even get on some other servers. now its just not working. I can play half-life, i'm playing it now, but i DO NOT have a cd key for any of the games.
So, you have an illegal copy of Half-Life, which was obviously not downloaded from this website.

Well, that's your problem. Buy a legit copy of Half-Life, download/install Steam, make a Steam account, register your legit CD-Key, and install ESF.

Best answers
We don't support illegal versions. Go buy the game. It's like $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom