Cannot delete this file

Best answers
So, here's my problem. Recently wanted to try out mechwarrior 4, so i went and tracked down a demo at gamershell. the installer was 67mb in size and when i ran it, all i did was open up a DOS window for about a second and nothing else afterwards. Naturally the whole dos window thing gave me a bit of a sinking feeling. So i tried to delete it, says cannot delete file as it is in use by another program or person etc. etc.(never downloading from there again..)

spyware and virus checks came back clean. ive tried getting rid of it in safe mode. This thing is bugging the crap outta me, any ideas would be very much appreciated.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Run task manager, go to Process tab, and look for the name of the file you ran, then close it from there. It could still be running in the background despite the fact you don't see it. Or maybe another application is still using it. Try turning off anything unfamiliar to you from that window. Or if that doesn't work, you could always do system restore ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Restart the computer, then try.

Best answers
ive tried that as well, still wouldnt do anything:(

Sound Artist
Best answers
Get out the command prompt (Start, Run, enter in CMD - Hit enter) Open up task manager(Alt+Control+Delete) Find explorer.exe, end task. Your desktop will disappear, go into your command prompt, find your file, type del (Filename). It's gone, now to restore your desktop, go back into task manager. File, New task, Enter 'explorer.exe'.

Best answers
and freedom wins the thread!

that worked like a charm. thanks so much to those who helped:yes:

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Theres a program called Unlocker which will disable whatever is making that file being in use so you can delete it. Just search on google for Unlocker great program!

Sound Artist
Best answers
Yeah but now he knows how to do it like the pros =) It's always better to teach someone how to find the answer, than to just give them the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom