Cable modem help O_o

Best answers
Yo guys Im back again ... I was gone for like 2 weeks because I was getting cable and I finally got it :D

It owns and stuff but theres 1 wierd thing ... my ping in ESF and other HL mods is kinda big ... I mean bigger than the ping on my dail-up ffs

I do not have a firewall or router and I'm using 98 and have a good comp
Ive set HLs connection type to cable

I dont have any ideas now :\

Also about my ping ... In all seeing eye its around 70 witch is great but ingame its 400 ... its not the ping that annoys me that much ... its the way other players move ... hes here a sec then a sec hes behind me ... very non fluid movement

The netgraph looks like this : _/_/_/_/_/_

It jumps like that about every sec ... very annoying when you aim at warped ppl lol :\

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
be sure that there's nothing running in background
be sure that you're the only one who using this connection

ask your provider what causes this

Best answers
Try resetting your cl_rate, rate and other stuff that has to with it. If you check the lag/fps tweaks, you can see what values u can try.

If this doesnt help, be sure to try what nretep just said.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does it happen in any other game apart from halflife? If its fine in other games, it may be worth reinstalling everything since you may have made a boo boo and changed a setting by accident setting your ping to a default amount.

Best answers
I did reinstall HL and stuff but its the same ... and its not the ping that kills me ... its the way the packets "flow"

it should be an almost straight line on the netgraph ... but its like I showed in my first post

I tryed the rate and cl_rate cvars at diff values but nah still the same

Ingame i see ppl like this ...

() ----------> (heres a guy moving in this direction)
But I dont see him actually move, I see it like this

() F () F ()F (F - meaning freeze as in he freezes there for 1/2 of a sec - its like taking a snapshot every half a sec)

I think its in my modem settings or something ... I mean if it ran normaly with relative little lag on my 56k ... on cable whitch is 10x faster ... it should be better duh

Best answers
Perhaps cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate should be changed. Try 55 for both (or cl_updaterate 101 and cl_cmdrate 50, like i have it).

If that doesnt do it, im afraid im out of suggestions

Best answers
Damn it didnt help :cry:

Ive noticed something tho ... at regular intervals the netgraph shows like this _____ for a few secs ... during that I have 50 ping and it all works fine ... too bads its only 2 secs every 40 secs or so :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What isp are you with? I have blueyonder broadband cable modem and you can download an internet repair kit thingy, and they have a real good customer service.
If i were you, i'd phone the isp company because it may be your modem or a setting on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom