buu

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, te face isn't too bad, but get in th habit of either using orthographic references, or use a WHOLE LOT of reference images. My first model I tried doing 100% from memory, and the result wasn't much better. Also, I highly suggest getting a decent grasp on humanoid anatomical structure. Even a basic study of human muscle-structures can do wonders for your drawing and modelling skills; trust me, I know :) . Buu's a rubbery wad of pink laffy taffy, but he still has muscles. The current model doesn't really show any. You've basically got a boy constructed from a lot of tubes.

It's okay; you're just starting out. Every insane modeller out there went through a similar stage in terms of skills. I'm pretty impressed you got Buu's head done so well in terms of shape. You're not yet learned in polyflow, but heck, that takes a WHILE to learn. You're starting out nicely dude, just keep pushing to improve :)

Best answers
thankyou, ive drawed heaps and heaps of dbz pics lately lol. , i really need to learn how to add detail in etc so i can put muscle and stuff in. and yeah ill study some basics about anatomical structure etc, i also did a quick model using the box technique and it actualy looks pretty good as it only took me 5 minutes

Best answers
another quick model i did in 1-2 hours, still have to finish hands and and legs, then weld model together and tweak up. im going to make heaps of models so i can improve in polyflow etc. and learn how to add in detail. i also need to learn how to model clothing and hair

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm...I think I see what's going on with your polyflow...you use a LOT of horizontally cut edge loops, which isn't too bad for the torso (for the most part), but the shoulders are a bit under detailed. The way they're structured makes them look slack. If you look at how the deltoid muscle works on the arm/clavicle, you'll see some differences. Besides, on the arms, except for the forearm, you want to model the different unique pieces of arm-muscle almost independent of the others and then weld them, maybe smoothing some of it out afterward.

Now the face. It's effective for shape (mostly), but it's best to model the head independent from the body. Unlike the torso, the head doesn't respond well to horizontal segment modelling. Look up the "Joan of Arc" modelling tutorial and learn how to make a face using edgeloops. Basically, it involves extruding edges by starting from the eyes and mouth and working your way outward. Besides that, you definitely aren't forced to use the same number of vertical segments on the head as there are on the body. Too many wasted polys that are doing more harm than good. Same goes for the horizontal. And it shows on how the shape is starting to deform because of it.

Look up that Joan of Arc tutorial and pick up some good tips. It worked wonders for my modelling ability. You've got potential; you've just not established a perfected modelling technique yet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
3DSM not really "much" better.
Its just mainly used for the Gaming industries. Lightwave is more used for Commericals or Movies or cutscenes. but At the Basic Part there is nothing better or worse.

Uhm what i could suggest... erm... getting a look at www.cgtalk.com www.polycount.com www.3dtotal.com www.cgchat.com and all these CG forums. You probably better look how other people work.
At Cgtalk you maybe will have the chance to see how people work with the polys.

You will see that everbody is making smooth lines and not only Horizontal/vertical. try to somehow get the sense of it.

Though you can do good job when you mainly wil do poly by poly, by extruding only you will not get all to good results.

Just do like said: look up other peoples workflow and polyflow. How they build up the Models and stuff =)

you're actually the first guy who learned better and faster here on this community. Keep it up. Are only you doing or your Bro ,too?

Best answers
yeah i plot out a few polys at first from the eye, then i extrude from there. and yeah i make the body basicly from the head but then add more polys or so etc. and i also try to rush once im finished the head. if i want to model parts seperate how do i link em to the other parts? and what about box modeling it seems to be simple and looks good also.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You re-attach objects or attach them with vertex welding. It's a function you can find under edit poly or edit mesh. Basically, you place the open ends of vertices next to the open end of another object, and then you select two corresponding vertices (or more) and then use vertex weld (you may have to increase the weld range for it to work). This function will weld the two vertices into one and attach their polys. Do it to each edge vertex until the opening is closed.

As far as box modelling...meh, it works I guess, but personally I've found it tends to dirupt polyflow. I'd either work with 6-sided cylinders or model by extruding edges from planes.

Best answers
yeah i know this much but, if i connect the neck to the head, either one side has to much vertexes, and do you have any simple ideas on how to model hair

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if you have good front/side refs, poly-by-poly model them. Or try creating 3-5 sided cones and fitting them around the hair strands.

Best answers
hair is realy hard.. anyways i finished and edited my 3rd model. im pretty happy with the results. it has a bit of detail and better poly flow

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
His neck is way too long/high/thick. I'd redo that, otherwise looking good.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's pretty good, but the arms look like they were jammed into him instead of naturally attached. make them higher on the shoulder, and for God's sake, please give those hands some thickness. Your palm and metacarpals are thicker than your fingers, starting at the knuckle. The thumb has an apposable metacarple that is rotated at a lower angle than the palm and is generally at a 90 degree counter-clockwise angle in relation to the fingers at rest, so the thumb should be modelled as though on it's side. Try looking at your own hand, let it be totally limp and compare. Use as many references as you can and avoid guessing whenever possible.

Best answers
lol i rushed the hands and feet and i also didnt use any refs im a bit lazy i basicly extended from the arms then used knife tool and basicly shaped the hands and fingers. any more tips on modeling hair and clothing and attatching

Best answers
ok i kind of learnt how to uv map and skin today i havent edited the model yet but i will do i still have to uvmap and texture the rest of the model, this is my first and practise uvmap and skin and it is not fully align with the model

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom