buildin a new machine

Best answers
if the noise is created BEFORE being output, then yes a digital signal will send noise. for example, if the audio codec converts from analogue to digital before it reaches the digital output.

it's just a carrier, after all.
If the source is digital (from your hard-drive, CDs, etc is) then there will never be analogue to digital conversion.

@Avenger
Bits do actually flip occasionally as a result of noise, it's just that it is quite hard to generate so much noise that a bit flips. Most digital transport protocols have some mechanisms in place to correct for that anyways.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If the source is digital (from your hard-drive, CDs, etc is) then there will never be analogue to digital conversion.

@Avenger
Bits do actually flip occasionally as a result of noise, it's just that it is quite hard to generate so much noise that a bit flips. Most digital transport protocols have some mechanisms in place to correct for that anyways.
While you are right about digital to digital sources over optical, the electricity going through your pc generates noise, sure its not as bad as it is over standard mini jacks, but it does make noise. You can hear snaps and pops on occasion. Audio on motherboard is NEVER as good as sound off a card.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I run my audio through HDMI into my sound system... I've never ever had a problem with noise (and I pick up on that stuff really goddamned fast; I remember I used to be so annoyed with the little crackles and buzzes when I used analogue)

@Spunky: "Most people" think the earphones that come with the iPod are good.

Best answers
Audio on motherboard is NEVER as good as sound off a card.
I would agree with that, but I don't think it's because they are further from your motherboard, but because they have better components. The clock and the laser/led/whatever sends the optical signal used probably matters in the signal quality.

I've never heard snaps and pops from my motherboard HDMI either, but I'm not much of an audiophile. Apparently HDMI provides error correction on its digital signal, so maybe that helps too.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if it helps put into perspective.
these are my headphones: sennheiser HD600

got them back when i was actively persuing music as a career, never regretted it either. they're ******* amazing.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would agree with that, but I don't think it's because they are further from your motherboard, but because they have better components. The clock and the laser/led/whatever sends the optical signal used probably matters in the signal quality.

I've never heard snaps and pops from my motherboard HDMI either, but I'm not much of an audiophile. Apparently HDMI provides error correction on its digital signal, so maybe that helps too.
I can agree with that point that component quality can hurt your signal. My ears are pretty sensitive, I'm one of those people who can pick out relative bitrate on MP3s just by listening to it, so maybe I'm just really picky. People get pissy when I sit and fiddle with my guitar for ever to get the tuning right by ear. :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LOL!!! rich...

my best friend is a producer/dj. and i was round his house for a day overlaying tracks, he wanted me to get some guitar stuff down. 2 hours later and he's like "seriously, it sounds fine to me", and i'm still tweaking my fine tuners at the bridge saying "WELL IT'S NOT FINE FOR ME!!!!".

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
haha, it's arriving in about 9 hours. so yeah a little too late.
no big deal though, i already chose to upgrade to a SATA-600 HDD. only my DVD-RW will be SATA-300 and even then it will still work in a 600 port.

i'll just get the mobo replaced when they issue a recall. it's not a big deal at all for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom