buildin a new machine

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so my machine went bang (no really, the cpu die literally cracked in half... dunno how or why). and i'm going to be building a new one. i'd hoped to wait until the end of the year after i move so i can take advantage of the new tech coming out in 3rd quarter. but pc goes bang = move schedule forward...

so here's what i'm getting (bear in mind, im just using this site to keep everything in 1 place, still shopping around for better prices):
motherboard:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...1155p67chipsetmotherboards/msi/p67a-gd65.html
processor:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...ntelcorei71155socket/intel/bx80623i72600.html
gpu:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...ds/atihd6900series/sapphire/hd-695a-cnfc.html
memory:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?CSR-V8G16
hdd:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...l/sata500gbto1tb/westerndigital/wd10ears.html
psu:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/powersupplies/corsair/cmpsu-750txuk.html
watercooler:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/cooling/watercooling/corsair/c-cwch50-1.html

i'll be overclocking the cpu to around 4.6ghz (shouldn't be a problem) and the motherboard to 1600mhz ram speed. the GPU will be overclocked to the specs of a 6970 using this method

i'm thinking of getting a dedicated soundcard too, but i've heard there's no point on windows 7 due to the way microsoft dicked over the sound system. any advice on that and anything above would be appreciated.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i'm thinking of getting a dedicated soundcard too, but i've heard there's no point on windows 7 due to the way microsoft dicked over the sound system.
What? No.

If you want quality, go with a Gigabyte or ASUS mobo. I've heard both great and horrible things about MSI boards, but almost nothing negative about Gigabyte and ASUS boards.

Everything else looks great.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My last two MB's were Gigabyte and both died well before the rest of my box, for GFX cards Gigabyte has been kind to me, but the next PC I build will be an ASUS board.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it's a toss up between that and this:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...psetmotherboards/asus/90-mibdp0-g0eay0kz.html

they have very similar feature sets, except that the sabertooth has the temperature sensors, which will be useful to me (very useful). i plan on putting a fan on the opening in the sabertooth, but not some pansy 70mm fan, gonna fit an addaptor and put a 120mm fan on there muahahahahaaa.

but yeah, either one could suit my needs really, the new bios looks fantastic, and really at this point it's down to looks over features. although as i said the temperature controls are something i'm very interested in.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If your planning on OCing the cpu, wouldn't it be better to go with the Core i7 2600"K" instead? I haven't really done a lot of research on the Sandy Bridge chip yet, I'm not too sure how much you can overclock the non K version. You might wanna check out the differences and see which one suits you needs better.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah i linked the wrong cpu, my baaaad.
all of the K series have "unlocked" multipliers, while the non-K series are locked so you can only overclock so much.

I WANT A PICTURE NAME
Banned
Best answers
You're going to have a nice, good PC.
What are you going to do with your old one?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
recycle the parts that work into my girlfriends machine. she'll have an SLI 9800GTX 512 rig with about 6gb of ram, i think.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ASRock is Asus' cheaper brand. I've found my ASRock board to be pretty reliable, even after 5 years of constant overclock. MSI was once very solid, now its spotty. I used to swear by them because they were feature packed and rock solid under load. Now they still have lots of features, but I've seen them ass out on occasion. Asus is awesome but pricey, never a bad investment though. I have a freind who swears by Gigabyte, but I have never personally built a machine using any of their components.

As for sound, it doesn't hurt to have a descrete card if you have the extra cash, onboard sound can be "noisy" and that isn't something someone with a trained ear wants. Otherwise it offers very little benefit over on-board sound, unless you plan on outputting the sound into recording equipment.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well my headphones cost me ?300, and i hear *EVERYTHING* without exception. and yeah noise can be annoying.

that said, the Asus boards have SPDIF out (optical), so if i take that into my sound system and run the headphones from there, that "should" cover it, i'd hope?

anywho. ordered the stuff, will post pictures of the build! and i decided to recycle my psu, which leaves me room to buy a sound card if needed later on. thanks for the info Rich, i'd heard good things about ASRock, and i'm moving from MSI to Asus for the reasons you stated.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The problem isn't with output format, its with the sound device electronics being embedded in somthing that generates huge amounts of electrical noise, your Mobo. If the mobo has a riser card with the sound attached, that's much better but nothing can beat having a card for fidelity reasons, SPDIF or no, because the noise is generated before the signal is sent to the SPDIF, just like having your guitar effect pedals chained int he proper order. You want the noise gate BEFORE your crunch, or you lose crunch, get my point? :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah makes perfect sense, thank man.

at least i can get one later if i feel the need for it. if i was doing some serious audio design i would have one already but i'm not. i just need to listen to music while i make art lol.

Best answers
I find it very hard to believe that the motherboard creates noise on the digital signal carried by SPDIF.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to agree with Harsens; digital signals don't get noise. They either work or they don't, there's very little in between.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if the noise is created BEFORE being output, then yes a digital signal will send noise. for example, if the audio codec converts from analogue to digital before it reaches the digital output.

it's just a carrier, after all.

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
My pc is ******* 6 years old, ******* SHIIITTT!!

When was the last time you've built a computer? 2008? **** me.

Congratz for the awesome machine though.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My pc is ******* 6 years old, ******* SHIIITTT!!

When was the last time you've built a computer? 2008? **** me.

Congratz for the awesome machine though.
indeed, i could almost 100% guarantee that i use mine a lot more intensively though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom