Build Teh Nuttz a puter

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my home pc is crapping out on me, and everytime i mention to anyone of mah online buds that im wanting to buy a decent gaming pc to replace it, and i show em a few im lookin at, i get slaughtered by "omgzors make your own youll save alot of moneh", (obviously not in those same words)

i know jack crap about putting a computer together, ive installed stuff inside a computer, but never started from scratch, i wouldnt know what parts i needed or if the case i got would fit the motherboard, (i hear this isnt a huge problem nowadays though) i can probabaly get a friend's friend to put it all together if i can just arrange getting the parts here, but thats a big if, (cuz the guy thinks im a psycho)

i noticed that it was possible to share wish lists on a computer part website, ive been directed to by the "omgzors" people, www.newegg.com, and so im asking you guys to help me decide what i should get based on what i want to do with it,
the least im spending on it is 600 but id like to keep it under 800 bucks if possible

what im wanting is a computer with:
a fast procesor, (2.5+)
1 gig of ram minimum, (2 gigs if price allows it)
windows xp, (i doubt it would be easy to simply take it of of my existing computer and place it on the new one, it didnt come with installation discs)
a pci-e (not agp) motherboard that is BUILT for gaming, and a matching graphics card
usb 2.0 for all those fancy new gadgets that i cant use cuz im stuck with 1.1
and last but not least
a nice looking case with plenty of room for expansion, (with a decent power supply)

dont forget some of the essentials which i probabaly left off the list, a lan card, a dialup modem, sufficent cooling etc, i only listed the things that i wanted, im not 100% sure i NEED

i can hijack the 40 gb and 120 gb HDDs, the dvd-rw and cd-rom drives, and the floppy drive off my existing computer if thats possible anyways, i dont have the driver installations for any of them, but didnt have to install any drivers to use them, least i dont remember having to, if not dont forget them when picking the parts, i dont wanna be stuck with 2 non-working pc's

i want a computer that will be able to run half life 2 at a good framerate without having to drop the settings down. i want to be able to actually PLAY onslaught mode in ut2k4 (without having to drop the settings), i want to be able to play pratically any current game out there at a decent framerate/detail level. (including doom 3 if possible)

if you dont wanna bother with digging through my post just read this part, i need a GOOD gaming computer in the jist of 600-800 smackeroos,

Best answers
My comp cost me liek 700 from scratch.. But I need to get some more ram..

Amd 64 3000+ 939 chipset
512 pc 3200 400mhz
Gefroce 6600 gt pci-ex16
Uh... some mobo I cant remember atm.. onboard 5.1 sound and a ethernet card
80gig hd..
cd/dvd combo drive
450 watt power supply and case
4 case fans... Thats about it I guess.. monitor was 100 bucks for a 17" crt..

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i can hijack the monitor, keyboard, mouse, HDD, and cdrom drives from my existing computer if need be that should save me a little bit of money

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
800 bucks is cutting it close..... with even 800 quid , i would just about have enough to build a new PC of those specs. (£1 GBP = ~$1.72 USD i think)
If you dont mind the time without a PC, sell your current PC parts off as you replace them. Start off with a mobo and new cpu, and decent case with a 400W PSU minimum then the gfx card, then the ram, then the extras, ie. monitor, optical drives etc. If your HDD's at the moment are already of decent size and speeds and reliability, dont bother with a new hard drive.

CPU - Get a 64 Bit CPU so you are set for the future.
PCI-E - Get something higher than an ATi Radeon x300 or nVidia GeForce 6200 or you will regret it in the future. ( I know i did with my FX5200 -_-)
Mobo - make sure the mobo is PCI-E compatible so you are ready for the next gen cards when your gfx card becomes outdated.
Case - Try to get a metallic case, that is modded so that you dont have to modify it yourself. Modified cases arent just for show, they improve the running of your pc and the mood of you. They regulate inflow of air and outflow, so you dont have to buy new cases or whatever, and they also dampen the sound with some cases.
As for your XP, if you paid for XP with your previous computer, you should have the software discs as well. Complain to the retailer that you want your XP discs or whatever.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I kinda wanna keep this PC intact as a extra lan computer for when a bud comes over or sumthin, but i wouldnt need ALL of it to keep it usable,

expand on your 64 bit thing, im not completely computer iliterate but outside of video cards/cd-rom drives/power supplies/and hard drives the insides of a computer are foreign territory

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
basically, 64 bit CPU's are taking over :O they have more potential than CPU's now, and AMD is currently the only one developing them. Their AMD Athlon 64-Bit Processor and the AMD Athlon-FX. Make sure the mobo supports BOTH PCI-E and AMD 64 Bit though if you opt to go for an Athlon 64. If you ask most of the forum gamers around here, they will tell you to go with the 64 Bit if you have the money; for example, Prozac, Smith and DJ-Ready. The downside is that they dont have full XP support, but still run games and XP fine.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ness said:
basically, 64 bit CPU's are taking over :O they have more potential than CPU's now, and AMD is currently the only one developing them. Their AMD Athlon 64-Bit Processor and the AMD Athlon-FX. Make sure the mobo supports BOTH PCI-E and AMD 64 Bit though if you opt to go for an Athlon 64. If you ask most of the forum gamers around here, they will tell you to go with the 64 Bit if you have the money; for example, Prozac, Smith and DJ-Ready. The downside is that they dont have full XP support, but still run games and XP fine.
Actually, intel now has 64 bit processors, and has had them for a while, just not on an open consumer level. Although, I wouldn't recommend them :p. 64bit doesn't actually help your performance at all right now, it's not even being used at all in the Windows XP 32bit platform. It's the integrated memory controller that is giving the extra performance along with the 64 and FX's shorter stage pipelines.

Oh, and what do you mean by "The downside is that they don't have full XP support"?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Um...I think Windows XP 64-bit Edition kind of constitutes the 'full XP support' :p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
scre xp 64bit i would rather wait for long horn

if i were you , rather then getting "the best chip you can" get the best mainboard you can , a cpu a model down or two isn't gonna make to much performance difference , but overall imo is to get the better board rather then the better cpu

i can pick up a msik8n diamond (315bux Au) 3200+ venice (253 Au) & a 6600gt leadtek extreme (PC-IE
550core/1150memory) (325 bux aus) do the math & conversion and you should have yourself a decent good system to last you a while and shift what parts you need from ur old pc into ur new one , i'm getting a simlar system soon and shifting parts from my old to my new aswell , heck , it does save alot of money imo depending on what you use your pc for and such

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom