Buddy System.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
It would be cool to make a application where you can grab a player and let your team mates(or anyone you've teamed up with) use kai blasts , or do damage by punching in combinations etc. while the first person holds the member captive untill dead or he escapes. And if your in a server with no teams you can team up with one of your rivals to frag a person who is the strongest in the server by doing the buddy system. Or you can have 2 or more people have a sychronized attack on the person that is being held.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well a feature with a similar name has already been implanted into the game.
It allows some characters (Ginyu and A18) summon buddies instead of transforming.

Regarding the suggestion -
I think it's already possible without any particular system (not sure)
but the way you describe it, sounds a little imbalanced :)

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Well a feature with a similar name has already been implanted into the game.
It allows some characters (Ginyu and A18) summon buddies instead of transforming.

Regarding the suggestion -
I think it's already possible without any particular system (not sure)
but the way you describe it, sounds a little imbalanced :)
im not making a refference to the ginyu force. It can become imbalance at any given time in esf , Ex. 3 against 1 , Someone with a higher power level than you etc. Back to my suggestion , now when a situation occurs where someone is more powerful than yourself u can get one of your teamates or a person you've teamed up with and either yourself or teamate grabs the guy who is more powerful and while one teamate is holding him(while your power drains due to the proccess of holding him and keeping him restrained) the other is either shooting ki blasts or distributing melee attacks untill the person being restrained either dies or gets loose. There are ALOT of situations in Dbz where these situations happen. It all depends on how you look at it.

Last edited:
Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It'd be very situational, and not much fun for the person being held. If you want to synchronize attacks, it could be possible using melee.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
It'd be very situational, and not much fun for the person being held. If you want to synchronize attacks, it could be possible using melee.
You can say it wouldn't be fun being held in the final because you can grab any player and throw them(while the player being thrown trying to get away) and it prolly never is fun being held against your will. Why not take the whole thing out of the equation and not having the grabbing mechnism at all? It wouldn't be too fun without it. Implementing my suggestion into the game in my opinion would be really fun and more to the anime/manga.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Your system wouldn't have much use as far as I can see. So you grab a person, and he struggles to free himself, but while he is held a teammate can hit him. Well, he obviously can't be held for long as it would be annoying if someone was just going around grabbing people to annoy them. So in the short time you have him held you couldn't hit him very many times, if more than once (your friend has to keep up). So if he escapes too soon then you've managed to do no damage, meaning that you could have gotten into a position to hit him and done nothing. So it sounds like you may as well have just hit the guy with a basic melee. :|

And you mentioned being grabbed and thrown that is currently in esf. That system is a lot faster than your system would be. With the current throw system there wouldn't be enough time for a teammate to zip in and hit him, and if I remember right the new one in Final will be even quicker. Your system would involve a lot more waiting around.....for both parties. Not fun.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Your system wouldn't have much use as far as I can see. So you grab a person, and he struggles to free himself, but while he is held a teammate can hit him. Well, he obviously can't be held for long as it would be annoying if someone was just going around grabbing people to annoy them. So in the short time you have him held you couldn't hit him very many times, if more than once (your friend has to keep up). So if he escapes too soon then you've managed to do no damage, meaning that you could have gotten into a position to hit him and done nothing. So it sounds like you may as well have just hit the guy with a basic melee. :|

And you mentioned being grabbed and thrown that is currently in esf. That system is a lot faster than your system would be. With the current throw system there wouldn't be enough time for a teammate to zip in and hit him, and if I remember right the new one in Final will be even quicker. Your system would involve a lot more waiting around.....for both parties. Not fun.
It is as much useless as anything developed for esf(which it isn't) if you think about it. We have no idea as to how the mechanics will function other than videos and pictures. So basing what you said on circumstantial product that it wouldn't be fun is kinda ridiculous. And it being "faster than my system" I don't understand that phrase , it would be the same speed as what the game currently provides. As you know the speed is increased exponentially , you can fly using turbo or boost(what ever you call it to increase speed) to grab the person and keep him restrained , the time limit would only be short if they make it that way , they could do a reasonable amount of time like 5 seconds(give or take). Since the experience will be quicker you could distribute the damage even quicker. If only we could have a beta to experience the gameplay then would could properly evaluate the situation, game play mechanics , and how they work. But for now were to just basing from again circumstantial videos and pictures we really can't make a definite statement on what will and will not work.

Last edited:
Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If only we could have a beta to experience the gameplay then would could properly evaluate the situation, game play mechanics , and how they work. But for now were to just basing from again circumstantial videos and pictures we really can't make a definite statement on what will and will not work.
Nice try ^^.

Take it from me, the system which is planned is far more streamlined than 1.2.3 and what you've proposed. 5 seconds is a long time to be stuck doing nothing and constant large breaks like that disrupt the flow of gameplay, much like advanced melee did in 1.2.3.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Nice try ^^.

Take it from me, the system which is planned is far more streamlined than 1.2.3 and what you've proposed. 5 seconds is a long time to be stuck doing nothing and constant large breaks like that disrupt the flow of gameplay, much like advanced melee did in 1.2.3.
I said give or take on the time. They could lower the time. Disrupting the flow of game play? You also can say that when your in the process grabbing and throwing a player(not referring to my suggestion) or the initiation of any attack , grabbing etc. could disrupt the gameplay? I pretty sure they could implement this idea with out "disrupting" the game play. I don't anything would disrupt the gameplay unless the game freezes , lag , or perpetual kai blasting. I can point out many things that one can assume that it would disrupt the gameplay. I don't quite understand in the way you use that word. Please explain more other than saying it will disrupt the game play , why will it and how? Back to your previous statement , it wouldn't be fun being bombarded by kai blasts , players teaming up on you , and repetitive kai blasts also. They are trying to conform the esf final more to the dbz series right? Lol there were alot of grabbing in alot of the manga and anime shows :p

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We set up the melee system in a way that you never get stuck for more than 3 seconds total. Thats the most you will be stuck in place by a melee encounter.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
We set up the melee system in a way that you never get stuck for more than 3 seconds total. Thats the most you will be stuck in place by a melee encounter.
is what I suggested a unreasonable request? Would it be difficult to add such a idea? Don't you think it would be fun in any way?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's mostly that it's a stupid idea, not that it's an unreasonable idea. You don't take balance into consideration at all.

Best answers
Some how, I have to disagree with you Avenger. Judging by reading the way he put out the idea it seems he knows full well that balance isn't even an issue. Explain the "Balance" of this then if you believe it doesn't have it? I believe also, that it's the same aspect of Grab, Drag, Throw. But with less movement or a stationary grab + Hold.
Plus, Three seconds is plenty of time to get a partner to grab somebody, and A: Player B Charges beam while player A is obviously getting that hold on the person with player B ready, of course you are going to think "Hmm, well A Grabbed C, and B fired at C. But wouldn't A get hit as well?" Well of course! But since the blast radius was blocked positionally infront of A, A would take minimum to medium damage while C takes full to critical damage due to opened wide and no blocks.

Of course there would be a system to prevent grabs Obviously, maybe a quick time event *I doubt that would be interesting* so I'd say the powerlevels between the two Grabber and grabby would differ the time between actions / Grabs. There is plenty to discuss about a Grab+Hold action since it's worked well in plenty of fighter games. But he's talking purely a Team-Based skill which I find to be more enjoyable. Also the Grabber could be shocked if the Grabby breaks free for probably a second or less, .5 maybe? I personally dislike a game that allows you to grab a enemy and beat it into the ground or whatnot, I find it cheap and boring. But in a Multiplayer game like this, I find it well deserving of a real idea and not be called "stupid" just because you can't fathom anything relevant or take in anything that is not spitted from your mouth. :p Just saying... lol

Good Idea, needs a touch up on the planning and information with a little more thought on "How it works" and the "How to beat it".

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
You know what also holds person C in place and allows person B to charge an attack to hit them with? Basic melee. Hit someone into a wall or floor and they are briefly stuck there, allowing your teammate to hit them with a ki attack. Only with this idea person A doesn't also get hurt.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The thing is. Throw as its designed right now is set up like simple melee with just enough pause for you to aim where to hit the guy. Other than that its just a simple melee like attack.

The grab and smash as we call it is slightly different. While it can still be countered in a head-on by the melee type that counters throw in general (i believe combo melee counters throw) its designed so that your energy drains fast. The opponent is at your mercy, but if you overuse it, then your dead as you will be left with no stamina, additionally the guy you are dragging round has the ability to punch you constantly making you loose your HP in the process.

Now to your suggestion. Just use grab and smash. You can easily pick someone up, drag him round while your friend fires a beam and then you launch him into the beam. Its totally possible and requires an even bigger amount of cooperation skills. The way you describe the attack is just a cheap way to get a kill. Think about it. If PL is what determines how long you will hold a person, then whats stopping the strongest 2 people in the server from abusing that skill.

On the other hand, you can easily mimic your idea with a bit of skill and cooperation.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
It's mostly that it's a stupid idea, not that it's an unreasonable idea. You don't take balance into consideration at all.
Lol , your blatent notion of my idea being stupid is really hilarious. Give me a reason as to why it is stupid instead of making a rude , intagonizing statement such as that. Why don't you give a logical reason as to why it isn't good and why it can't be implemented in the game? I can't emphasize how what you stated is stupid. Do you have some preconcieved notion that anything other than what you say is stupid. I can give you ample amount of mechanics and gameplay situations that would be considered imbalanced(i've already have if you read what replied to in this thread) and I can give you more. Don't even begin to bombard me with comments like that. I've takin everything into consideration. Its really pisses me off to have someone give a peonistic view on something without explaining why , its like a meat head. I have a short fuse so don't bash ideas because you see fit. I was picked on , ****ed with and all of the above as a kid and comments like that makes me furious

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
*skips all posts*
I will take the idea only if the person holding you can be thrown at the enemy who was about to attack you, leading him to be attacked by his own partner :V

Maybe by utilizing a system where you can sacrifice your health for a temporary large PL boost? Or by utilizing some other energy source, this is not a good example and probably won't work since its used in a 2D fighter, but how about something like the Burst icons from BlazBlue which disappear when you use a Break Burst? This could also temporarily limit an attack or something if you want there to be larger effect.

[/endlolignorantpost]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol , your blatent notion of my idea being stupid is really hilarious. Give me a reason as to why it is stupid instead of making a rude , intagonizing statement such as that. Why don't you give a logical reason as to why it isn't good and why it can't be implemented in the game? I can't emphasize how what you stated is stupid. Do you have some preconcieved notion that anything other than what you say is stupid. I can give you ample amount of mechanics and gameplay situations that would be considered imbalanced(i've already have if you read what replied to in this thread) and I can give you more. Don't even begin to bombard me with comments like that. I've takin everything into consideration. Its really pisses me off to have someone give a peonistic view on something without explaining why , its like a meat head. I have a short fuse so don't bash ideas because you see fit. I was picked on , ****ed with and all of the above as a kid and comments like that makes me furious
I did give you a reason. It doesn't take balance into consideration. I've played ESF a lot, and I can tell you that being "teamed up on" is already ridiculously hard to keep up with, even in 1.2.3. And as others mentioned before me, it is easily emulated without any extra work or implementation by the Devteam. Also, don't bleed all over me as you /wrist, I have a new shirt on.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can see it now....

Player #1 in corner charging Spirit Bomb. Player #2 grabs Player #3 and holds him while the New found planet by Player #1 is hurtling down at him. I already seen it play out. It happened a bit on 1.2.3... A player would grab someone and throw them at the ground and as they were getting up they would get hit with a big beam, spirit bomb, or take a **** ton of space damage.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I did give you a reason. It doesn't take balance into consideration. I've played ESF a lot, and I can tell you that being "teamed up on" is already ridiculously hard to keep up with, even in 1.2.3. And as others mentioned before me, it is easily emulated without any extra work or implementation by the Devteam. Also, don't bleed all over me as you /wrist, I have a new shirt on.
hrmm....well in the situation "ignorants is bliss" i guess... ...oh wells.... Have a nice day sir..

---------- Double Post below was added at 04:03 AM has been merged with this post created 03:58 AM ----------

I can see it now....

Player #1 in corner charging Spirit Bomb. Player #2 grabs Player #3 and holds him while the New found planet by Player #1 is hurtling down at him. I already seen it play out. .
yeppers that would be almost perfect description

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom