boy do I feel stupid

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
because of computer issues I had to clean out everything, including steam, half-life, and esf.

Now...I go to re-install everything. I installed steam and my half-life and the 1.1.1.0 patch and then the 1.2.1 full installer...but now I cant remember where I should install ESF now because my old folder it was in no longer exists it seems. ESF turns on but its the old 1.1 screen and it says it needs to find the new versions ect.

So what have I done wrong? Last I did this was feb.....boy I feel stupid :(

Best answers
umm as i remember you have to install it to here goes :

c://valve/steam/steamapps/(youraccountname)/halflife/:this is where my ESF folder is

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cozza said:
umm as i remember you have to install it to here goes :

c://valve/steam/steamapps/(youraccountname)/halflife/:this is where my ESF folder is
thats how it was like for me too, and when I installed ESF, thats where it was directed to d/l by default...but the install button wasn't activated as if that directory no longer existed. I even searched for it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
some people seem to be getting a greyed out installer button, bit if a wierd error that!

You didn't need to install steam AND halflife with the 1.1.1.0 patch - it'd update from steam manually.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
still, I'd like to know what the problem is >.<

where did my C:/valve/steam/steamapps/Logan289/halflife/ directory go? Its not there no matter how many times I install half life and steam! I've tried all sorts of variations on download location but it wont work >.<

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First off double posting isn't allowed, that can get you a warning best fix that before a mod sees it. Second. Install steam. Install half life into steam, run half life at least once. then install either both the 1.2 and the 1.2.1 patch into steams hl folder. OR just go to www.redsaiyan.org and download and install the entire 1.2.1 full patch (it's got the entire 1.2 and 1.2.1 put together.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
First off double posting isn't allowed, that can get you a warning best fix that before a mod sees it. Second. Install steam. Install half life into steam, run half life at least once. then install either both the 1.2 and the 1.2.1 patch into steams hl folder. OR just go to www.redsaiyan.org and download and install the entire 1.2.1 full patch (it's got the entire 1.2 and 1.2.1 put together.
Exactly. Do what fire phoenix said. You have to run Half-Life at least one. Steam will auto-update, and create a Half-Life folder in the steam directory.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Everyone says steam isn't noob friendly but in reality it really is. It's so easy to work, and it does everything for you.

One thing you should know not to do is create a Seirra/HL folder. Although I think that happens when you install half life. You don't want it or need it. Also you will never need the 1.1.1.0 patch. or anything else because steam does it all for you.

Seeing as you're installing steam all over again. Chances are it's going to take a looong time to update. So if it pauses, don't cancel out or anything, it's just got a lot to update.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It won't really take that long. Last time I reinstalled steam, it only took about 20 minutes to get up and running.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whoa! wait in total or in the whole steam updating thing. 20 minutes is a looong time. I haven't re-installed steam in a long long time, but i remember it took a good 5 minutes for it to update

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
This is what I did and the final results.

1) Installed Steam again to my Program files folder. So its c: \program files\valve\steam\

2) Installed Half-life and its patch to the steam folder, so now the folder is c: \program files\valve\steam\half-life\

3) Opened Half-life, then closed it, so it ran at least once.

4) Installed esf 1.2.1 full install to the Half-life folder so now the directory is c: \program files\valve\steam\half-life\esf\

now....I did all that. all that is following what you said. So I go to my ESF icon, open ESF, and it sends me to the outdated esf game:

So....whats the deal? What have I left undone? It wont let me play dispite what I did. God I wish i remembered how I did it last time >.<

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
o.o ummm you are registered with steam riiiight? so it should look something like this:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\You're e-mail\Half-Life\esf\

This is what it says to do in the manual

STEAM USERS
1) Download and install the Steam engine from here.
2) Run Half-Life once so that Steam has the files and directories required by ESF's installer.
3) Install ESF beta 1.2 using the installer from this page.
4) Launch Steam, go to Games and double click on Earth's Special Forces under Third Party Mods to start a game of ESF.
5) Click Find Servers.
6) Click Change Filters, make sure ESF is selected.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ugh, what the heck are you doing! Your running it on WON your sopossed to run it on STEAM

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PROBLEM SOLVED!

I needed to run half-life through steam rather than running half-life on its own. all is good now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom