★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega said:
No im talking about face animations.
¬_¬

Hows that relevant? I know theyre already made because i was making a point of how noticeable they are and that they dont need an extra window/graphic to point them out. Im also saying that if a graphic were to be placed on the hud, it would look better if it were a cel face shot, NOTa printscreen of the mdl. I dont know how i couldve said this any clearer.

I never said the facial animations werent done, nor can i see where you could pull this from my previous post =S

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KYnetiK said:
¬_¬

Hows that relevant? I know theyre already made because i was making a point of how noticeable they are and that they dont need an extra window/graphic to point them out. Im also saying that if a graphic were to be placed on the hud, it would look better if it were a cel face shot, NOTa printscreen of the mdl. I dont know how i couldve said this any clearer.

I never said the facial animations werent done, nor can i see where you could pull this from my previous post =S
Who was ever talking about a printscreen. We are talking totally animated faceshots.

In other words total animations.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega said:
Give what up?

The face probably will be part of the HUD. Itll be the modeled face so the face animations that are made actually get to be seen. But if we do put it in itll be disableable.

Who was ever talking about a printscreen. We are talking totally animated faceshots.

In other words total animations.

i said printscreen to describe the fact you taking an image of the model. Im saying this is pointless as I can look at the facial animations on the mdl anyway. The hud would look better for a variety of reasons if it were drawn (constrast with everything being modeled, actual dbz look matches character better than any model), would be just as easy to animate, should need less memory, and would be easily customizable if one was to swap the model. Hell Ill draw and animate em if i have to lol.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well animated models have one bonus ^^

You can realtime link them to the moidel. Where youd have to load and change 2D images to suit animations ^^

But honestly im against having a head in the HUD in the first place. I think its just irrationall use of screenspace. The more of the screen you see the better.

But there is a small HUD version for that planned to ^^

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega said:
But honestly im against having a head in the HUD in the first place. I think its just irrationall use of screenspace. The more of the screen you see the better.

But there is a small HUD version for that planned to ^^
That's what i wanted to say, it could be smaller(both animated heads and HUD).

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Awesome im so happy a small hud is in the works ^_^ youve no idea how much i hate the sprite setup on that hud lol
Ive always loved Soldat for its interface customisation.

i wouldve thought that a virtual cam running on every frame, or a constant relay of animation between models would use far more resources than an image being loaded at a specific time. Theres not many instances where the expression has to change.

Lets break it down-

The moment you are hurt a timer kicks off, image switches to a random "pain" image until recovered.
"gritted teeth" face when turbo on, powering up, or attacking
Alternate "laughing" frames during taunt animation.

All these events should be very easy to manage, since they are pretty much all triggered by keypresses.

With the model version of the face, would it link to the players animation -only- or would it match my player model if i happened to swap it? So if i say replaced goku with another model, would the face match the new model or just play the right animation?

With images no matter what model you put in, that picture still looks more like goku than any model could be.

With a nice small hud a face icon would work well, esp if it were manga and simple =þ If you wanted to make things complicated you could make it look bruised and beaten as HP decreases by having say 3 versions of each face image. This would be much easier to implement with images over models i would imagine. Either way its a lot of work to get it right if youre gonna stick a face icon on at all.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KYnetiK said:
With the model version of the face, would it link to the players animation -only- or would it match my player model if i happened to swap it? So if i say replaced goku with another model, would the face match the new model or just play the right animation?
I believe,since custom models are rigged to the basic character's skeleton it shouldn't be a problem.:)

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes but what if you didnt animate the face, or if you didnt have the face and mouth bones altogether. Even if you had the right animation in your mdl, that just makes the face play the right animation. Im talking about will the head on the hud be the same head as my player if i change it. If i put Gogeta in Gokus class slot, will the hud be a picture of Goku or Gogeta?

What im saying there is, will it be the same model as my non default player model?

I think the whole face icon thing should just be a single frame manga pic of the player. Thats it. No mdl shots. No animation. That way its easy to manage, easy to customise, looks nice and contrasted against the gameworld, and is always the original look of that character.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KYnetiK said:
Yes but what if you didnt animate the face, or if you didnt have the face and mouth bones altogether. Even if you had the right animation in your mdl, that just makes the face play the right animation. Im talking about will the head on the hud be the same head as my player if i change it. If i put Gogeta in Gokus class slot, will the hud be a picture of Goku or Gogeta?

What im saying there is, will it be the same model as my non default player model?

I think the whole face icon thing should just be a single frame manga pic of the player. Thats it. No mdl shots. No animation. That way its easy to manage, easy to customise, looks nice and contrasted against the gameworld, and is always the original look of that character.
It's true that it would be easier that way!
As for the custom model thingy,I think it should be a convention between those who make custom models for 1.3 to have almost the same model skeleton like the default 1.3 models;So when you rig your custom model to the default 1.3 skeleton, everything should work flawless!
Although I may be wrong !

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no you dont get it

Just because the skeleton is the same doesnt mean the face on the hud will match the model. Im talking about the LOOK of the Hud face, not the animation. How can i make this any blunter.

Even if you had the right animation in your mdl, that just makes the hud face play the right animation. Im talking about will the head on the hud be the same head as my player if i change it. If i put Gogeta in Gokus class slot, will the hud be a picture of Goku or Gogeta?

If i put a model of Spiderman in gokus slot, will the Hud look like Spiderman or Goku? Just because they share animations/skeleton, doesnt mean that they share the same mesh. Thats why im asking how they intend to make it work and still conserve more resources than using an image.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since the model and the head from the hud are linked and show the same animation simultaneously, I believe it will show the right model/face/head whatever! (now i understood what you wanted to say :)).
And if it doesn't,The coder should fix it! (don't know for sure,just guessing)

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
=þ

See i imagine it would work in 3 ways -

1) basically a virtual camera in front of your face gets projected onto your hud.

2) the player mdl is loaded twice, one being shown from the face up on the hud

3) a separate mdl of just the head, with the same facial bones as the player skeleton.

The first one would be best in terms of customization, but all would be resource whores compared to swapping images.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KYnetiK said:
3) a separate mdl of just the head, with the same facial bones as the player skeleton.
I think that's the one!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually the whole face thing isnt even started yet. But some people are pushing to have a hud version with the face along with a hud version without the face in.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well,anyways, you guys decide what's better! :)

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
standalone manga pic on the hud is all that it needs, no animation.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Reminds me of Doomguy XD.

Why not have so there "keyword"----)can(----"keyword" this small animated face thing on the hud but don't supply the files. An animated GIF is relatively simple to make so that can leave people to create their own or download stuff other people make. Saves time and satisfies all.

Best answers
OK So I ran a test with the ogg. The in-game mp3 player appears to use the DirectShow drive; The windows codecs. Thus allowing the OGG and even FLAC(Free Lossless Audio Codec) to work just fine. This is due to the fact that I have the OGG codecs installed on my Windows.

In other words, you need to install the codecs and then you can play your files in the mp3 player of ESF. You do that by manually adding the path of your audio file to the playlist of the mp3 player since the wizard software doesn't let you add any files but mp3.

So I tried to do the same with ESF. I took the entire Vegeta audio folder and encoded into OGG (0 quality). In my case those were ECX Vegeta's audio. I worked with those because my ECX is installed and when I run the game it uses a different audio folder for Vegeta. The folder after encoding took about 10 times less size (From 20 mb to 2 mb).

I launched the game, I was hoping that Half-Life would be using the decoders of the windows. Either it's true or not, the game is looking specifically for WAV headers thus making my Vegeta.. sound less. Of course I backuped my files before the test so no harm was done. If you wonder, I took the encoded files (OGG) and renamed them to WAV files and then replaced them with the original ones (I used batch files to make this simple).

Then I guess the only way to make this possible is either make it(ESF) use independent OGG decoder and calling the software to use those instead or to make them accept the ogg (in case the game uses the Window OS decoders anyway) then all that is required is to install the non-commercials, free and small OGG codec on your computer.

Reporting back,
-CLASSIFIED

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CLASSIFIED said:
OK So I ran a test with the ogg. The in-game mp3 player appears to use the DirectShow drive; The windows codecs. Thus allowing the OGG and even FLAC(Free Lossless Audio Codec) to work just fine. This is due to the fact that I have the OGG codecs installed on my Windows.

In other words, you need to install the codecs and then you can play your files in the mp3 player of ESF. You do that by manually adding the path of your audio file to the playlist of the mp3 player since the wizard software doesn't let you add any files but mp3.

So I tried to do the same with ESF. I took the entire Vegeta audio folder and encoded into OGG (0 quality). In my case those were ECX Vegeta's audio. I worked with those because my ECX is installed and when I run the game it uses a different audio folder for Vegeta. The folder after encoding took about 10 times less size (From 20 mb to 2 mb).

I launched the game, I was hoping that Half-Life would be using the decoders of the windows. Either it's true or not, the game is looking specifically for WAV headers thus making my Vegeta.. sound less. Of course I backuped my files before the test so no harm was done. If you wonder, I took the encoded files (OGG) and renamed them to WAV files and then replaced them with the original ones (I used batch files to make this simple).

Then I guess the only way to make this possible is either make it(ESF) use independent OGG decoder and calling the software to use those instead or to make them accept the ogg (in case the game uses the Window OS decoders anyway) then all that is required is to install the non-commercials, free and small OGG codec on your computer.

Reporting back,
-CLASSIFIED
Well here is my mapping experience. Every time i used a sound that was not a 22kHz mono wav file. But a higher quality WAV. The game crashed when the sound was to be played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom