Blu Ray

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
we just got our first bluray player into branch, and WOW O_O

Best answers
I thought that only ps3 would be able to play the blu ray disks.
And that the disks would first come out in 2007.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its spelled "Disc", and there are like, 80 movies out in Blu Ray. were currently showing spider man on ours. its the best thing i've ever seen !_!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whats different about Bluray Discs and DVD ? oO
More Storage ??

Best answers
Well, yes. And because of the greater storage, it's possible for greater quality (because you don't have to compress so much, like our current DVDs).

That, and, the blu-ray format is a faster data transfer. 2x Blu-Ray is equivalent (or greater) than 8x DVD.

Can a blu-ray drive read a dvd, though?

EDIT: You can buy blu-ray burners and blank discs already. Though, I'm not sure if there are any non-PC burners... I dunno, I never got the point of a media burner that doesn't connect to a PC.

EDIT 2:
Bolteh said:
Blu-Ray's the new DVi and ZIP-drive; a great concept, but doomed to fail.
Why do you think it will fail? It's supported by LG, HP, etc. If you think blu-ray is a Sony product; IT'S NOT.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
Well, yes. And because of the greater storage, it's possible for greater quality (because you don't have to compress so much, like our current DVDs).

That, and, the blu-ray format is a faster data transfer. 2x Blu-Ray is equivalent (or greater) than 8x DVD.

Can a blu-ray drive read a dvd, though?

EDIT: You can buy blu-ray burners and blank discs already. Though, I'm not sure if there are any non-PC burners... I dunno, I never got the point of a media burner that doesn't connect to a PC.

EDIT 2:

Why do you think it will fail? It's supported by LG, HP, etc. If you think blu-ray is a Sony product; IT'S NOT.
lol:
Wikipedia said:
The "Blu Ray Disc Association" was founded in 2002 by nine leading electronic companies like: Matsu****a, Pioneer, Phillips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung and Sony as contrast to the DVD-Forum.
You can't really guarantee that, as burn times can very from setup to setup. If you don't believe me then do a few Google searches. In terms of read however it's a different story.

Best answers
Sandstorm said:
Last time I checked, the cost to make 1 Blu-Ray disc with a movie, was 3x or 4x more expensive than DVD.

+ Blu-Ray has protection against rips and stuff like that, that alone could make it a huge failure (because the multi-media world still evolves around piracy, like it or not)

Best answers
Bolteh said:
Last time I checked, the cost to make 1 Blu-Ray disc with a movie, was 3x or 4x more expensive than DVD.

+ Blu-Ray has protection against rips and stuff like that, that alone could make it a huge failure (because the multi-media world still evolves around piracy, like it or not)
You know what else has/had protection against ripping? CDs and DVDs. It only takes a matter of time to bypass such things, if it hasn't been done already.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, saying its gonna fail is a bit much, as i (10 minutes ago) sold a ?999 blu ray player, with a ?1299 panasonic tv.

they really look that good. not to mention, the disc's are hardcore! they look nice, and are pretty resiliant...

Best answers
I'm not even going to bother with anything to do with HD untill the market matures, So far we have Blue-ray vs HD DVD vs DVD.
I still own one of those craptastic 52cm T.V's.
Still, its all I require I only watch StarGate when its on, otherwise I'm gaming, or tinkering with the car.
I personally hope it doesnt turn out like Betamax VS VHS. That was utter... ugh.
Sony has done some strange things recently, The huge battery recall, 8 Lines of digital camera's have faults, AND the PS3 has been plagued with teething problems for a long while now, Not to mention telling everyone in Europe they can wait a bit longer for the PS3 as its not needed over there...
Lets just hope sony doesnt go under, as competition is a good thing for us all.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
i (10 minutes ago) sold a ?999 blu ray player, with a ?1299 panasonic tv.
Holy commission, Batman!

Hey Lee, do you have an HD-DVD player set up in your store, to a similar TV? I was wondering if you could notice any difference, seeing as the war between them has barely begun.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
well, saying its gonna fail is a bit much, as i (10 minutes ago) sold a ?999 blu ray player, with a ?1299 panasonic tv.

they really look that good. not to mention, the disc's are hardcore! they look nice, and are pretty resiliant...
Ahhh the people with money. Good to know there's still that 1% of the population that can spend 3000 dollars in one day like it was nothing.

Most people can't do that. Hell with the career I plan on going into, I'll be lucky to bring home 3,000 a month.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bolteh said:

Last time I checked, when the DVD format was just released, it was also 3 to 4 times as expensive to a normal CD. Yet the DVD hasn't failed.

And just because the Blu-Ray has protection against ripping doesn't mean that can't be cracked.

In the end I think the BRDisc will be pretty good, if only for the awesome 50gb of space. Enough to backup all your downloads.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
?3000 = $5000, good going.

ravendust, the difference is noticable on the same tv sets, especially if you choose the right movies, where they are totally uncompressed on the 25gb discs.

even HD-DVD will have HDCP, so.. that argument is pretty groundless to be honest.

Best answers
Chris` said:
Most people can't do that. Hell with the career I plan on going into, I'll be lucky to bring home 3,000 a month.
Pick a better career?

If this means buy all my DVDs again, then **** this, I'm out. No HD for me, please.

Best answers
Small sidenote for the people not getting Lee's prices:

The '?' infront of his prices are meant to be pounds, not dollars.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Where's our precious pounds symbol? D:

Scruffeh said:
If this means buy all my DVDs again, then **** this, I'm out. No HD for me, please.
No-one's forcing you to, i'm pretty sure it (Blu-Ray player) is backwards compatible with DVD's, as the PS3 is. Plus the Blu-Ray drive will upscale DVD's so they look sharper, more-hi-res than on a DVD player (though still not as good as true HD).

I'm going to get one as part of the PS3, and only rebuy a few DVD's in BD that are amazing visually (The Matrix Trilogy, Gladiator etc...).

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure there are more than a few movies that would merit re-buying them in a higher quality format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom