Blu Ray

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
?3000 = $5000, good going.

ravendust, the difference is noticable on the same tv sets, especially if you choose the right movies, where they are totally uncompressed on the 25gb discs.

even HD-DVD will have HDCP, so.. that argument is pretty groundless to be honest.

999 + 1200 = 2200 I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here. Good going.

Scruff said:
Pick a better career?
And be unhappy? no thanks.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MadAx, any chance for piccies or something?
Cause I still dont quite get what the excitment is all about =P

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Super Veggeto said:
MadAx, any chance for piccies or something?
Cause I still dont quite get what the excitment is all about =P
Think about it this way. The more you compress a video, the lower the quality. Blu Ray has a much larger capacity than DVD, so they have to compress movies significantly less to fit it on the disc, hence, superior picture quality.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I see =o so basically it's a very high quality movie on a 25GB Blu Ray disk.
Sounds interesting, are there Blu Ray drives for PC in the market already?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
25 gbs? i thought its capacity was supposed to be closer to 47 gb o_O,

i cant help but wonder if lets say WHAT IF, a GTA styled game was made with bluray in mind, it took just over 4 gb to make san andreas as big as it was, ignoring the larger texture sizes. you could probabaly have an entire state to freely roam in XD, (thats wishful thinking though)

Best answers
nuttzy said:
25 gbs? i thought its capacity was supposed to be closer to 47 gb o_O,

i cant help but wonder if lets say WHAT IF, a GTA styled game was made with bluray in mind, it took just over 4 gb to make san andreas as big as it was, ignoring the larger texture sizes. you could probabaly have an entire state to freely roam in XD, (thats wishful thinking though)
Dawg, you could get the full ****ing country!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
Dawg, you could get the full ****ing country!
Werd? I'd rather have high graphics san andreas than ****ty graphics full country san...an...dreas?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Nuttzy - It works similar to DVD, each layer contains a certain amount of data. For DVD it was 4.7gb per layer, for BD it's 25gb per layer, with 50gb dual-layer discs, 100gb quad-layer discs etc...even a 200gb eight-layer (octo-layer?) disc exists. Compare that to 15gb per layer HD-DVD's, or 60gb quad-layer.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
Blu Ray has a much larger capacity than DVD, so they have to compress movies significantly less to fit it on the disc, hence, superior picture quality.
That's pretty interesting, thanks.

Best answers
Chris` said:
Werd? I'd rather have high graphics san andreas than ****ty graphics full country san...an...dreas?
What I'm saying is, you could get the same quality or better, and instead of the area of San Andreas, it could be the first: Grand Theft Auto: North America game.

Imagine moving all around North America as a GTA character. No longer do you have to simply steal cars, you can hitch a ride to the next city, or you can go out into the wilderness and kill hunters, bears, and other wildlife. Heck, you could even become a wild man.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
?3000 = $5000, good going.
I wish my question marks were worth so much...

I should check out the Bluray stuff they have when I go to Futureshop to get my mp3 player back from repairs. I've never seen HD movies...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's difficult to 'see' the clarity of HD images on a standard set/screen, but it's 4x the regular quality;

Example

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
What I'm saying is, you could get the same quality or better, and instead of the area of San Andreas, it could be the first: Grand Theft Auto: North America game.

Imagine moving all around North America as a GTA character. No longer do you have to simply steal cars, you can hitch a ride to the next city, or you can go out into the wilderness and kill hunters, bears, and other wildlife. Heck, you could even become a wild man.
What would be the point of killing animals?

There is a Grand Theft Auto IV in the making for the Playstation 3 and Xbox360 consoles.

The only question I have to ask about the Blu Ray disk is: Is it necessary? I can understand the benefits of it for storage, but for video quality? I mean, how much more quality can you get out of a movie?

Best answers
MC said:
What would be the point of killing animals?

There is a Grand Theft Auto IV in the making for the Playstation 3 and Xbox360 consoles.

The only question I have to ask about the Blu Ray disk is: Is it necessary? I can understand the benefits of it for storage, but for video quality? I mean, how much more quality can you get out of a movie?
I think the media is meant first as a storage media, second as a high-quality movie media.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
It's difficult to 'see' the clarity of HD images on a standard set/screen, but it's 4x the regular quality;

Example
I think the point is to see the difference clearly in the eyes after paying so much money for something like that.

But thats something you can judge only when you see it infront of you I guess...

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:

Example
The second example isn't really fair. Standard Definition TV's don't look that bad.

If anything, I think both next gen formats will fail, or atleast take much longer to catch on then we would like. Not enough people have HDTV's and honestly, do we really need 50 gig's of space? It's not like companies will release entire shows on one disc, it's not practical [read: They want to make money]. As for games, someone said they'd rather have a good looking San Andreas then a huge one.. I think games like Oblivion proved that we can have both, and on a regular DVD too.

Maybe if I actually had an HDTV, my opinion would be different

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's always like this when new technology comes along, for anywhere up to 5-10 years its a luxury, then it becomes the standard.

Best answers
Jay's face really could be that fuzzy... He has a naturally fuzzy face... Maybe HDTV fixes his face? :laff:

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
The second example isn't really fair. Standard Definition TV's don't look that bad.

If anything, I think both next gen formats will fail, or atleast take much longer to catch on then we would like. Not enough people have HDTV's and honestly, do we really need 50 gig's of space? It's not like companies will release entire shows on one disc, it's not practical [read: They want to make money]. As for games, someone said they'd rather have a good looking San Andreas then a huge one.. I think games like Oblivion proved that we can have both, and on a regular DVD too.

Maybe if I actually had an HDTV, my opinion would be different
Agreed. I find the nice image to be just a bonus. Then again, like hybrid, I don't have a T.V let alone have HDTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom