BitTorrent

Best answers
Mastasurf said:
I'm thinking about setting up a BT download for the release. The only problem I forsee is not having many seeds. As soon as people finish their download they will want to play ESF and to avoid a high ping will turn BT off.
Nice way of puting it it masta, i doubt anyone ever thought of that... Sad, But, i guess it wouldent work, too bad...

Best answers
Thats a very valid point, but if so many people are downloading it, when people eventually take torrent off it probably wouldnt make a difference since by then more people will be probably trying to download it. But I think bit-torrent would only work for the 8th of may due to the insane ammount of people who want 1.2, but it will be no good for future reference.

Best answers
not even remotley related to this bit torret thing but my Acura RSX type r just got back yeah yeah im so happy smiles for everyone and the new beta comes out in like 3 days. :D

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not even remotely related to the bittorrent thing but you CAN get a warning for going off topic. Not this time, but next time I catch you doing so, you will be reprimanded.

Please post in the right topics, or even make one in the proper forum section rather than go off topic in another thread. If you've got any questions, feel free to Private Message me by clicking my name on top of this post and selecting the option from the pull down menu.

Best answers
Ive never tried BT but I should really give it a go..maybe when I get my new pc :)

Its easier then any p2p anyway I think :eek:

Best answers
nah i dont want bittorent plz, well if u are gonna have bitorent can u make more options dont make it the only option plz

Best answers
Just for you dudes who use Bittorrent and think it sux, TURN OFF XP FIREWALL! I used BT once, got awesome speeds (for 64k isdn 5-9k the whole time), formatted, and then my dl speeds sucked. Used kazaa for a while until I found out to turn off the XP firewall. Now I'm back up to speed :D ...well...if you can call 64k speed, not bad for a 3rd world country I guess... :p

Best answers
Hey all BT is a great option to use.
Anyway first off to all though who havent used bit torrent before i recommend you get Bittornado as it allows you to limit your upload speed. Anyone on ADSL has to limit their upload speed to about 70% of their max upload if they want fast downloads.
e.g 512/128kbits up would be about 8 - 9kbs

http://www.bittornado.com The bittornado site seems to be down for me atm.

ABC is also another bit torrent client
http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/

Secondly to if you are behind a firewall or a router you should to open ports 6881 - 6999 . If you dont want that many ports you can do 6881 - 6899 to allow fast download speeds.

If you are on 56k bit torrent isnt the best program for you although you can get speeds up to 7kbs.

Anyway im just posting this in case bit torrent is used.
Hope it helps some people.

Best answers
All of you don't understand how BitTorrent works.

It works like this:

You have a set limit of download and upload.

My download: 3mbps
My upload: 256kbs

Now, if I were to start BitTorrent. I would be uploading 25kb a second, I would be downloading 10-50kb a second, where as if I were to download it normally I would get 350kb a second tops. Now, I think BitTorrent IS NOT the OPTION. Like I stated before, I KNOW there will be more options I'm stating this if even it is a option.

THAT is why BitTorrent Sucks.

Best answers
Which is why i mentioned that you should limit your upload speed. For you about 15kbs you let you use your full download speed.

(Although it will depend on the total speed of the actually torrent to what speed you get.)

The two bittorrent clients i mentioned above you can limit.

As for your argument about getting full speed. If too many people are using the mirrors what type of speed would you get from them I dont think it would be that high or you would be waiting in queues for hours. But if lots of people are on a torrent speeds can be great.

The only suggesting i can make if there is a bit torrent option is to have more then one seed before you release the torrent link.

Best answers
I agree.

Bittorrent uploading to other users is not what gives you slow speed, its how many people are sharing the file and their connection speed. Trust me, I been using BT ever since it was first released.

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hereby on officially pledge to seed for two (2) hours after ive done dling. there wont be any good servers anyway :)

Best answers
Vakir74 said:
All of you don't understand how BitTorrent works.

It works like this:

You have a set limit of download and upload.

My download: 3mbps
My upload: 256kbs

Now, if I were to start BitTorrent. I would be uploading 25kb a second, I would be downloading 10-50kb a second, where as if I were to download it normally I would get 350kb a second tops. Now, I think BitTorrent IS NOT the OPTION. Like I stated before, I KNOW there will be more options I'm stating this if even it is a option.

THAT is why BitTorrent Sucks.
You stated your opinion, and we know quite well you think Bit Torrent sucks.
The fact of the matter is that it saves ALOT of bandwidth, so its economically sound for a release of this magnitude, especially for the mirrors. If you don't like it, fine, use the "normal" mirrors. BT is the wave of the future imo, just like P2P, but in a more disiplined state.

As Masta stated, seeding could be the only potentially major problem that I can see. Some people would shut down their BT. I wouldn't, even if it slowed my connection down (I have never noticed that at all, nor does it suck resources like some other pig programs)

Best answers
it drains my resources after a while but nothing like the normal one i use, but i guess its because my computer is uber ****ty

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If this bit torrent thing is used i will see how long it takes me to dl 1.2. if i get it done in a reasonable amount of time i will allow upload speed stuff. and ill learn to make it the fastest i can. As much as i want to play esf, i also feel that this bit torrent thing should be implemented because of the badnwidth i hear it saves. So count me in with ssjchris. there are 2 seeds for you if you do this. i dont know if thats enough. I say go for it. there will always be other options if people dont like it

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
id use a BT download mirror for sure man, definatly worth it

Best answers
If they do it through BT, I will keep mine on for 2 whole days just to help people get it.

Best answers
You cant be at your computer all day iv got things to do over the weekend so ill be seeding whenever im not playing. Also even if you just seed overnight while you sleep it will help the people in the other time zones.

Best answers
Up for the BitTorrent idea.

Besides, there'll be other way to download 1.2(hinthint) in case the downloads in BT are too slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom