Bitorrent, Azuerus...a lil help? :P

Best answers
well i just downloaded the client and it looks hella lot complicated than limewire, but i was told it was very good and quick at downloading stuff, i downloaded the client but i'm not sure how to actually use it, a lil' help would be appreciated.

*note i've stopped using caps constantly and alot of question marks :p*

Best answers
Guzzie... are you talking about Overlord?

And can we even talk about this? Bitorrent is an app used to illegially get music and other "stuff". Not unless you can prove to us that your NOT gonna use this for illegial purposes.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i just downloaded the client and it looks hella lot complicated than limewire, but i was told it was very good and quick at downloading stuff, i downloaded the client but i'm not sure how to actually use it, a lil' help would be appreciated.

Bitorrent and limewire are two entirely different protocols. Limewire/frostwire both run on the Gnutella network, a different network to that used of bitorrent.

Usually, you would use a torrent search engine to find a torrent or you may come across a site that has a torrent for what content they make available for download.

You download a file with a ".torrent" extension (disregard the quotation marks as they are there for example), when the download is complete you then double click on the downloaded torrent and your client should then launch itself and start downloading the information it reads from the torrent. I myself haven't really used torrent much considering I have had been stuck with slow internet, however that's a general idea of how it works. I myself use Bitcomet.
Walmart said:
Guzzie... are you talking about Overlord?

And can we even talk about this? Bitorrent is an app used to illegally get music and other "stuff". Not unless you can prove to us that your NOT gonna use this for illegal purposes.
I suppose it depends on what way you look at it. Legal content is actually distributed through bitorrent (such an example is Pure pwnage, and you can find links to torrents for the various episodes on their website). Let's just hope he does not plan on using it for access to illegal content though.

Btw, Guzzie is referring to Magus, a Australian player of esf.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

You need to use BitComet, or BitLord, these Bit Torrent clients are more simple, don't use LimeWire anymore, LimeWire is pure crap, you need to use BitTorrent clients, find a decent torrent searching website and search for what you want there.

Links to warez are prohibited on these forums
-Phobius

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is nothing illegal about Bittorrent, A ****load of mods get released trough bittorrent just because it is quite fast and easy to use. For usage for azureus, just go to the options, tell azureus where to download stuff to and chose other stuff that you think that might need to be adjusted (max upload/download speed etc.). Just find a .torrent file, double click it and azureus will automaticly open it, ask you once more where to download the file too and not much else has to be done. (except open up a port that Azureus uses.)

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I have found uTorrent to be the better bit torrent client, It uses only 6Mb of ram on average, easy to tweak, etc. (Even an idiots guide to setting it up!).
And yes, There are those that use torrents to share information legally.

Alot of music artists are now PLACING their music on torrents to share around the community.
Wierd huh?
I stopped using Limewire a looong time ago, when I discovered Torrents, On occasion I use WinMX, But mainly for chat purposes.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You need to use BitComet, or BitLord, these Bit Torrent clients are more simple, don't use LimeWire anymore, LimeWire is pure crap, you need to use BitTorrent clients, find a decent torrent searching website and search for what you want there.
Links to warez are prohibited on these forums
-Phobius
He has a BT client: Azureus.

I have it too, and I think it's just peachy. I had experience with a couple other clients before I started using it though, so I already knew what I was doing. One of the features I find very useful that wasn't included in some of the other clients was the ability to assign priority to individual files. I think BitTornado did it too, but this was roughly two years ago, so I can't recall.

Just remember that you need to upload while you download, and that, in order for bittorrent to continue to function, you need to make sure you seed the files you download to at least a ratio of 1. Otherwise you have only taken bandwidth that could have been given to somebody that would have seeded, and you end up damaging that torrent because of it. Bittorrent functions because people upload, so don't be a little **** and take without giving back.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In all honesty, you don't really have to continue seeding once your dl is done if you're using public trackers. Most of the time, I don't. Guilty as charged. However, you should try to join some private torrent sites. You're required to seed, but the download speeds are worth it and you'll learn a lot from people who frequent their forums.

Personally, I prefer utorrent. Once you set it up properly, I feel its better than Azureus. I've used just about every client, and utorrent is fantastic for uploading and downloading. If you don't plan on uploading or you're using a public tracker, use bittornado.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally use ABC, Another Bittorrent Client, which is based on Bit Tornado, and I'll admit, it's because it's the first one I tried that actually worked without hanging my machine.

I caution everyone that this is as far as this disscussion goes, no talk on where to get torrents, or how to get illegal items using bittorrent will be tollerated.

Best answers
Y'know, I only just started using Bit Torrent (my client is Azureus), but my flatmate is telling me he's been using limewire for years, and it's much easier to find things. Says he doesn't like how I have to search for the files myself.

Is there an advantage that Bit Torrent has over other methods that I can throw back at him, ninja style?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not unless you can prove to us that your NOT gonna use this for illegial purposes.
So much for innocent until proven guilty...

Walmart, while we appreciate the concern, it is not your place to tell users what they need to convince us of.

Best answers
well, it's good to see people posting here, but no one has really helped me :( i just want to know how to download using bt thanks.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, it's good to see people posting here, but no one has really helped me :( i just want to know how to download using bt thanks.
My Previous post said:
Bitorrent and limewire are two entirely different protocols. Limewire/frostwire both run on the Gnutella network, a different network to that used of bitorrent.

Usually, you would use a torrent search engine to find a torrent or you may come across a site that has a torrent for what content they make available for download.

You download a file with a ".torrent" extension (disregard the quotation marks as they are there for example), when the download is complete you then double click on the downloaded torrent and your client should then launch itself and start downloading the information it reads from the torrent.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LimeWire contains an extreme amount of cock***s, these people program viruses to make you think you are downloading what you want, by what I can gather, you rarely gain viruses by using BitTorrent, that's only because I download files with 10 Uploaders and up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Scruff said:
Is there an advantage that Bit Torrent has over other methods that I can throw back at him, ninja style?
Not much without going against the AUP, but a big one would be lots of user feedback on each torrent, and therefore, no viruses.

Xenon

X
BitTorrent is a great way to go to prison, assuming you're downloading illegal content. It's completely open, so that anybody can view who else is downloading a file. I wouldn't use BitTorrent, bro. the MPAA and RIAA are cracking down on it, hard...

But, if you're downloading legal content, then I wish you the best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom