Big-Ass Tsunami Vs. Jet Li?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good for you. But that's not what I'm talking about, and action vs. inaction is irrelevant. Even then, there are thousands of people who die all the time to unfair circumstances, and the people who're left behind are even more screwed over. Wanna donate to them too? Are they less important than Dimebag Darrel, because you met him twice?

The unfortunate answer is YES, even if you deny it. It's human nature. The difference between me and all the self-righteous people in this thread is I'm not going to blame you for placing more importance on what happened to Darrel.

It's about people caring more about a celebrity than random normal people, something people have been ragging others on in this thread in particular.

I used Dimebag Darrel as another example, because people tend to respect Dimebag Darrel more than Jet Li. There are thousands of people who mourned for him who -never- met him. And yes, having met him before, I'm sure you felt it worse; that's exactly my point. The closer you are the more you care, it's -natural-. This thread was created because everybody here knows who Jet Li is, and thus, the entity is closer than some random dude lost in a fishing boat, who regardless probobly had a daughter and family of his own, that may in fact be dead too. But we don't know anything about them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no, actually im more inclined to give to someone who was murdered by a psycho, than any natural disaster. on the grounds that a natural disaster is just that, its natural, it cant be helped, and its meant to happen.

someone going nuts and shooting people, can be helped and stopped.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How does one go about deciding whether a murder was supposed to happen or not? Is it the same way one decides whether or not a natural disaster was meant to happen? If so, how does one go about deciding whether a natural disaster was meant to happen?

Here's how i (and most people work): Show me a face, give me a name, give me a story, and i may make a connection. Tell me 155,000 people just died, and i wont make a connection. A number is just that - a number. People cant empathize with numbers.

Best answers
I heared that jet li was injured as a fan ok glad he ok but still doesnt make up for all the people. The children that lost their parents and even american vacationer lost thier daughter. I also feel bad for all the orphan childre, to make things worse scum buckets are kidnapping them and their family could still be alive. I wish that *lightning kicks* and *super powers* were real like movies, could have saved people (hypotheticly). i dont know if i made sence but...

oh definitly the tsunami. there are no film effects here

off topic. Whos Dimebag Derral.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seriously, who tf cares about the tourists? Why doesnt anyone pay attention to the people that actually live there?

Unless Jet Li found that fan in dragonball and blew the waves away, nothing could have stopped it (and lightning kicks would have killed everyone cause of the water =/ ).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LadyRavenTrunks said:
I heared that jet li was injured as a fan ok glad he ok but still doesnt make up for all the people. The children that lost their parents and even american vacationer lost thier daughter. I also feel bad for all the orphan childre, to make things worse scum buckets are kidnapping them and their family could still be alive. I wish that *lightning kicks* and *super powers* were real like movies, could have saved people (hypotheticly). i dont know if i made sence but...

oh definitly the tsunami. there are no film effects here

off topic. Whos Dimebag Derral.
Murdered musician from not too long ago. Member of Damageplan, ex-member of Pantera.

>=]

Best answers
X said:
Murdered musician from not too long ago. Member of Damageplan, ex-member of Pantera.

>=]
Oh ok. yea that was pretty f'ed up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hitokiri said:
He stood against that furniture though. Bad ass.

Anyway, society admires/despises celebrities. Their every movement is recorded and reported to the people. So, I'd say it's pretty normal that when one is caught in a natural disaster, people find out. Just because it's reported doesn't mean it's importance has been placed over that of 150,000+ or something people. I've never actually heard of this on TV news, and you don't hear about the "Jet Li's Foot Donation" charity or anything. It's just another story among thousands, but it's given publicity because most people know who Jet Li is. The closer a person is to a name, the more they're going to turn their head. That's just how it is, and it makes sense; you care more for your brother than you do for a distant cousin.

Look at it this way. Innocent people get shot and stabbed and murdered in every way you can think of every day, but everybody freaks out over Dimebag Darrel. Why? He made good music, great. Does that make him a better person than some little kid, some mom, some old hobo? Are you placing value on life?

See, I don't blame you for giving more of a **** for Dimebag Darrel than some guy who was shot in the park on his way home. That's because you knew who Dimebag Darrel was and what he did, so it's only natural you cared more about what happened to him. It's not an excuse to get further disgusted with humanity or anything.

A lot of people will deny it, but you're right. It's not a bad thing to recognize one in the 150,000 people that died. It doesn't have anything to do with whether he was a bad actor or not, or whether you liked him or not. He's going to stand out to you more either way becuase you actually know him. Even though the other 150,000 people died, they might as well not have existed, becuase you didn't know them in the first place. It's still a tragedy, and I feel bad for them, but it's very hypocritical to scold someone for recognizing one person out of a group, unless you mourn over the thousands and thousands of deaths that occur daily. That's like getting mad at soemone for wishing his friend a happy birthday and saying "Hey man! Don't you know that there are 150,000 other birthdays today?!?!? What about all those other people, don't they deserve a happy birthday too?"

Best answers
Zeonix said:
Seriously, who tf cares about the tourists? Why doesnt anyone pay attention to the people that actually live there?

Unless Jet Li found that fan in dragonball and blew the waves away, nothing could have stopped it (and lightning kicks would have killed everyone cause of the water =/ ).

ok the lightning kicks part was supposed to be a semi-joke to what some one above said. Read all post before being like that. And yes the tourist arnt as important as the people who lived there becuz they have a home to go to and the civilians do not.

but its still sad whether they live there or not.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For the record, by lightning kicks I meant lightning-fast kicks, as an exaggerated adjective, not kicks empowered by lightning.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really get it, man. First--if you read the first post, I just wanted to know what exactly happened to Jet Li. Do I give a damn about the rest of the people that have suffered in that situation? Is it relevant? I don't give a huge damn about Jet Li either. I just, as a fan, wanted to know the story.

I'm sorry if it offends so many people that I found a positive story involving a celebrity trying to do something heroic, and they feel that belittles the insurmountable amount of death involved. But the fact is, it's not a disrespectful thing. Just trying to focus on a more positive scenario in a very grim situation.

I mean...you didn't see people blocking their ears after 9/11 cause someone told a story about the dude who selflessly stopped and carried that paralyzed woman from the 80th floor to safety. "Oh, why are their lives worth more than the other people's?" Well, technically, they're not. Nobody said that. What makes all the dead people's lives so much more important than Jet Li's, anyway? Jet Li's alive and they aren't; maybe it's just me, but that seems to be pretty self-explanatory. I'm tired of hearing about people dying--it's all I publish at my newspaper job on Iraq. "Today people needlessly died." Shoot me for being interested in a story involving some successful urban heroics and a positive ending. It's called "looking on the bright side" and though in this case it is hardly a bright side, I know for a fact that there isn't a Jet Li fan out there who isn't happy that the guy was okay, just like I'm sure there were no Dimebag Darrell fans who were happy he was killed.

That being said, Kyo dropped a link to the story, thus answering the main part of my question. Now, I'm assailed quite enough about the Source Engine, the Doom 3 flashlight, and all manner of other crap around here lately...no sense adding "alleged lack of sympathy for thousands of people" to the list. Mods, please close this, before someone else tells me I'm going to hell.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
closed on request for a second time.

*hands Pride 10 bucks*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom