Best guitarist, ever?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Perhaps my favorite guitarist. I listen to Dream Theater (theyre American) all the time, but put Petrucci on stage next to Vai and Satriani (G3 ftw), and the difference in ability is profound.
Mmmm G3. God that rocked. At the colorado convention center. Man I was there that was so ****ing kick ass. They're american sure, but some people here aren't and in their ways of spelling things it's re not er. If a European band came to the states and was named like oh i dunno.... like "Flavour" or something, I wouldn't spell it flavour, i'd spell it flavor, because that's how i type it and pronounce it >.<

MMMMM do i looooove dream theaters solo's.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll agree with almost all of the guitarist listed so far as being deserving of their worth, and many of them can be successfully argued to be the best. So instead of saying mine are the best, I will just say they are legendary: (and yes, many of those on Gir's list are on my personal list, even Hendrix who isn't, but these are those who were missed)

1) Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top . . . the man is a god.
2) Carlos Santana . . . does this even need to be annotated?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
I'm pretty sure Steve Vai has the most retarded facial expressions a human being could possibley make. I swear half the time i'm spending more time being amazed at how insane he can make the muscles in his face go instead of how the muscles in his fingers are going. Hahaha.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
I'll agree with almost all of the guitarist listed so far as being deserving of their worth, and many of them can be successfully argued to be the best. So instead of saying mine are the best, I will just say they are legendary: (and yes, many of those on Gir's list are on my personal list, even Hendrix who isn't, but these are those who were missed)

I am stupid! I forgot to mention both of those, I guess it was just kind of a 'given' -- Hell I was reading a guitar magazine with a huge interview with Billy Gibbons the other day.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its not about speed, its about skill and passion

well and creativity, so saying that:

Randy Rhoads
Zakk Wylde
Eddie Van Halen
Joe Satriani

but theres one more and hes a highly underrated guitarist

Mick Mars from Motley Crue

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jimi hendrix, merely because i like his music more than all the others mentioned in here... cept maybe Brian May, queen are legendary....

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hash said:
I think there is no best guitarist personally, so many people bring different things to the table, i'll list my favourite ones though, no particular order.

Eric Johnson (No one's mentioned him yet?)
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Jimmy Page (He hasn't showed up either!)
Eddie Van Halen (oh em gee! not even him!)
John Petrucci (from Dream Theatre)
Joe Perry (Aerosmith)
Yngwie Malmsteen

If I absolutely had to choose a best guitarist though, I guess I would lean towards Steve Vai. He can rip up the fretboard at blazing speeds, but he can also inject a heavy dose of feeling and passion into his playing (Whispering a Prayer anyone?). He has experimented out of the box, as well as played everything there is to play within it. So if I had to choose, it would be him.
I particularly agree with you on jimmy page. I once saw him hit an amazing amount of accords in a solo very fast. I also like Led Zeppelin ^^

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
eh i dont like jimmy page much mainly because he either plays so fast that you cant understand the music or because its just very dry, despite that, Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands

one guitarist that i could say for sure is the best is Randy Rhoads

hes proved in multiple concerts that he can play insanely fast but he doesnt, he concentrates more on what hes playing than how hes playing it

Eric Johnson (No one's mentioned him yet?)
**** i cant believe i didnt mention him, eric johnson is an excellent guitarist and one of the best poets and song writers i have ever seen, if you get a chance check out the "Ah Via Musicom" album

Best answers
Oh crap... Billy Gibbons and Jimmy Page. I am a dumbass for forgetting about them. And ZZ Top kicks total ass, so that is a plus also.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DaRkOwNs said:
its not about speed, its about skill and passion

well and creativity, so saying that:

Randy Rhoads
Zakk Wylde
Eddie Van Halen
Joe Satriani

but theres one more and hes a highly underrated guitarist

Mick Mars from Motley Crue
Zakk is nothing but a pentatonic whore.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so you judge a guitarist solely on what kind of scale he uses?

thats kind of a "rookiesh" opinion, theres more to playing than that

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It gets old....just like how AxMan said the major scale..he rapes it.

He's good and all but not the best.

and rookiesh opinoin? nope, i'm a guitar player myself, into a lot of technical death metal stuff.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:

ZZ Top owns so hard, i say Billy in concert up in the mountains. Ho....ly...****. The man could play guitar with one hand. I like orgasmed in my pants.

Carlos sounds great and all... but live.....meh. =/

Hash said:
I'm pretty sure Steve Vai has the most retarded facial expressions a human being could possibley make. I swear half the time i'm spending more time being amazed at how insane he can make the muscles in his face go instead of how the muscles in his fingers are going. Hahaha.
That's what she said =P

Galst Vic said:
It gets old....just like how AxMan said the major scale..he rapes it.
Which major scale? There are a few.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
actually there is only one major scale. what you are thinking of are modes within that scale, ie. you can switch from the key of A to E by using the Lydian mode, playing the major scale, just shifting the base note up.

as for whoever said i have a rookie-ish oppinion, ive been playing for a good 7 years now, and teaching for almost half that time. so before you think to judge my opinion, which is actually based both on my own ability, and the ability of the students i teach, and the fact that they are actually technically as compitent, if not more, than dave, jannick, and adrian all put together, and also have a lot more heart for music.

think about that, while you probably have never played a single chord in your life (although, if you have, i apoligise), and your opinion is based purely on both sound, and popularity (FACT: everyones opinion is always slightly biased by society). my opinion is based on much deeper motives.

i agree with vic, zakk is a complete pentatonic whore. but then again thats only his playing now. hes gone pretty far downhill from the "no rest for the wicked" album (his debut), where just about all the guitar work blew me away, his aggression, and technical prowess were unrivaled when he first stepped on the scene...

on another note, i cant believe some 14 year old twerp told me that dimebag is over rated, he also did it at a trivium concert, where the band dedicated a good 3 tracks (pantera covers) to dime, and played the whole concert singing his praises...

the nerve of some people :p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
actually there is only one major scale. what you are thinking of are modes within that scale, ie. you can switch from the key of A to E by using the Lydian mode, playing the major scale, just shifting the base note up.

as for whoever said i have a rookie-ish oppinion, ive been playing for a good 7 years now, and teaching for almost half that time. so before you think to judge my opinion, which is actually based both on my own ability, and the ability of the students i teach, and the fact that they are actually technically as compitent, if not more, than dave, jannick, and adrian all put together, and also have a lot more heart for music.

think about that, while you probably have never played a single chord in your life (although, if you have, i apoligise), and your opinion is based purely on both sound, and popularity (FACT: everyones opinion is always slightly biased by society). my opinion is based on much deeper motives.

i agree with vic, zakk is a complete pentatonic whore. but then again thats only his playing now. hes gone pretty far downhill from the "no rest for the wicked" album (his debut), where just about all the guitar work blew me away, his aggression, and technical prowess were unrivaled when he first stepped on the scene...

on another note, i cant believe some 14 year old twerp told me that dimebag is over rated, he also did it at a trivium concert, where the band dedicated a good 3 tracks (pantera covers) to dime, and played the whole concert singing his praises...

the nerve of some people :p
erm, yeah >.> forgive me, i play more than one instrument, hehe so i kinda get them mixed up some times >.< Sorreh

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
=o

hush Kimfuuuuuu! you big dirty vlaander >;]

kaination... scales and modes are irrelivent of the format your using. ie. no matter which instrument your playing, you still have the same scales, modes, chords, progressions, chromatics, and arpeggio's.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
2 things really... First I'm Fire Phoenix, not Kaination. 2. There's the E major scale, the F major scale, the C major scale, the D major scale, the G major scale, the A major scale, etc etc. The only difference between them are sharps and flats to go along with the tetrachords so they make sense, unless, of course, there is something I'm missing? o.0

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol...

a major chord is:

Tone, Tone, Semi-Tone, Tone, Tone, Semi-Tone, Tone.

a minor chord is:

Tone, Semi-Tone, Tone, Tone, Semi-Tone, Tone, Tone.

doesnt matter which key its in, its ALWAYS the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom