Best Adware and Virus remover

Best answers
I don't use a real virus-scanner such as Anti-Vir, because I know that I can keep my system clear.. I do use ad-aware and scan weekly, to clean tracer cookies etc.. I used SpySweeper for some time to, but it never found anything so I quit using that..

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
"Not Using Internet Explorer" and "Not Running Windows From An Administrator Account"

Those 2 kept me adware/spyware/virus free for a long long time

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I know Im virus free or else my system would error hardcore and I would notice a difference. i guess my question is, whats the best spy/adware remover out there?

Best answers
No one spyware remover catches them all. The ones that I have found to give me the best results are:

Ad-Aware
Microsoft Antispyware
Spy Sweeper
Spybot Search and Destroy

Some other very useful tools for combating spyware and viruses:

A2hijackfree
ADSSpy
BHO Captor/BHO List
CleanUp! – Works well for removing temp files
DllCompare
Hijackthis
Hosts File Reader
Itty Bitty Process Manager
Killbox
TrojanHunter
StartupList 1.5.2/StartupList 2.0

For anti-virus software AVG works pretty well for being free.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Cheese said:
No one spyware remover catches them all. The ones that I have found to give me the best results are:

Ad-Aware
Microsoft Antispyware
Spy Sweeper
Spybot Search and Destroy

Some other very useful tools for combating spyware and viruses:

A2hijackfree
ADSSpy
BHO Captor/BHO List
CleanUp! – Works well for removing temp files
DllCompare
Hijackthis
Hosts File Reader
Itty Bitty Process Manager
Killbox
TrojanHunter
StartupList 1.5.2/StartupList 2.0

For anti-virus software AVG works pretty well for being free.
What he said.

I'll add my own:

CCleaner
Windows Washer

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt, since he seems to already have some spyware, I think he is trying to find ways to get rid of it, rather than avoid it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just so you guys know, Microsoft Anti-Spyware has entered beta 2 and is now known as Windows Defender. Just thought I'd bring that to your attention.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, i don't have spyware that I am aware of. So far Ad-Aware hasn't found anything and I didn't know if that was the best program to use or not.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I suggest you should not use Hijackthis, only if you know what you are doing. Messing with that program may cause Operation Sysem problems. Below you will see a big list, with download links and information. Some below are mentioned already. But i added as said above download links and some information about the program.

Adware/Spyware Detection & Removal
Lavasoft AdAware (Freeware)
Spybot - Search & Destroy (Freeware)
TrojanHunter (Free trial)

Adware/Spyware Prevention
IE-SPYAD (Freeware)
Javacool Spyware Blaster (Freeware)

Adware/Spyware Removal
CoolWebSearch - CWShredder (Mirror) (Freeware)
Windows Defender (beta) (Freeware)
Windows Washer (Free Trial)

AntiVirus
Unbiased AntiVirus Comparisons
a² Free (Freeware)
Avast Home Edition (Freeware)
AVG Free Edition (Freeware)
AntiVir (Freeware)
BitDefender (Freeware)
eTrust EZ Armour (Freeware)
McAfee FreeScan (Online Scan)
Panda ActiveScan (Online Scan)
TrendMicro Housecall (Online Scan)
NOD32 (30 days trial)
Kaspersky (Trial Version)

Firewalls
Kerio Personal Firewall (Freeware)
Sygate (Freeware)
ZoneAlarm (Freeware)
Kaspersky (Security Suite includes firewall)

Misc
~StartupList v2
Information: A simple tool that lists all and every auto starting program on your system. You might be surprised what it finds, this is way better than Msconfig. Commonly used to troubleshoot malfunctioning systems, trojan/viral infections, new spyware/malware breed and the likes

~Killbox
information: Pocket KillBox is a program that can be used to get rid of files that stubbornly refuse to allow you to delete them.

~Itty Bitty Process Manager
Information: A standalone version of the little process manager included in HijackThis (Misc Tools section). Shows full paths to processes, optionally shows DLLs loaded by processes. Can save the process list (and dll list) to file, as well as copy it to the clipboard. Compatible with at least Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP and newer. Very useful for cleaning up systems infected with trojans or viruses that kill antivirus and antispyware

~Hijackthis
Information: A general homepage hijackers detector and remover. Initially based on the article Hijacked!, but expanded with almost a dozen other checks against hijacker tricks. It is continually updated to detect and remove new hijacks. It does not target specific programs/URLs, just the methods used by hijackers to force you onto their sites. As a result, false positives are imminent and unless you are sure what you're doing, you should always consult with knowledgable folks (e.g. the forums) before deleting anything. A rudimentary HijackThis log tutorial by me is available ~here~.

~Clean Up!
Information: CleanUp! is a powerful and easy-to-use application that removes temporary files created while surfing the web, empties the Recycle Bin, deletes files from your temporary folders and more.

CleanUp! frees disk space and reduces the "clutter" on your computer helping it to run more efficiently. It also can be used as a way to protect your privacy on the Internet. You can even instruct CleanUp! to securely delete files making it impossible to retrieve their contents using lower-level disk tools - just another way of protecting your privacy.

~CCleaner
Information: CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally use a router based firewall (SPI for the win), zonealarm, Spyware Blaster (which will help you noobs make IE as ironclad as Firefox), and Spybot search and destroy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have AVG, f-secure, they are good combination for anti-virus, then I think that's all, lol, but "spybot search and detroy" is good for it's stuff.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kaspersky is also a nice anti-virus proggy. I have been using it for the past 2 months.

http://www.kaspersky.com/

I don't know why no one really knows about it... it's definatly one of the best.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Kurt, since he seems to already have some spyware, I think he is trying to find ways to get rid of it, rather than avoid it.
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1941507,00.asp

Guess not, lawl

ounce of prevention > pound of cure

Edit:

The latest warning comes just 24 hours after the discovery, and public release, of a denial-of-service bug in the dominant Web browser.
LOL WTF

Incompetence at its highest levels~

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
in my opinion kaspersky is not the best but most of my mates use it so i may agree that the russian programmer have done a well job.

Avast over here! just googli it.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
What about nod32? I've heard it is a very good anti-virus program.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use AdAware and Kaspersky in combination with a registry cleaner and ccleaner. And I completely removed IE^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom