Battlefield 2142

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Same. Crappy. Ragdolls.
They need a new engine to work with...
Didnt impress me.

Best answers
I will admit the ragdolls in the battlefields are horrible, the bodies flail so unrealisticly, however the way the made it kind of like mechwarrior/tribes/battlefield is what caught my attention.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's no sense of 'weight' when the mech's ragdoll's are in effect.
They still roll around like their really light, just like the tanks in BF2 and 1942.
The reason why the humans ragdoll also flail unrealisticly is when there 'activated' they return to the form they were modelled in.
See how the ESF model's were made in their 'T' pose?
They return to that pose then they fall to the ground.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks exactly the same as Bf2. Sure, I like the sci-fi genre, but so far I haven't seen anything that makes me want to buy it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was quite interested in it when I first saw the trailer, but after hearing all these faults, it's making me reluctant to try it out. I hear the other BF games have similar problems. =/

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fatal_CobraX said:
They still roll around like their really light, just like the tanks in BF2 and 1942.
The reason why the humans ragdoll also flail unrealisticly is when there 'activated' they return to the form they were modelled in.
See how the ESF model's were made in their 'T' pose?
They return to that pose then they fall to the ground.
What does anything have to do which form they were modeled in?

If your referring to the ragdolls in Battlefield 2 then what your saying makes no sense at all since the Battlefield 2 models do not return to a "T" pose. You cannot be talking about ESF since the Half-Life engine does not use ragdolls.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Battlefield 2142. Check out the 20 minute Battlefield 2142 video if you haven't already done so, it contains a lot of information on new features and such.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ugh... So annoying to repeat myself.
"What does anything have to do which form they were modeled in?"

Look, BF2's models were made in This position. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/Fatal_CobraX/cell20ref.jpg [Dave Skiwan's Cell Ref].
Once a player dies the model attempt to return to that pose for a single frame, THEN the ragdoll is in effect.
That's also the reason why the arms flail backwards.
The force from moving back into that pose then having ragdoll effects kick in once that frame is reached the model continues to move, thus the arms moving backwards.
Each of the limbs have their own ragdoll effects but all have the same weight and is attatched ofcourse to another limb which is good on paper, but not in game.
This is my explanation of why BF2's human ragdoll's suck.

A good human ragdoll example would be America's Army + Half-Life 2's ragdoll effects combined.
AA's ragdoll's have a good sense of weight and fall realisticly but the limbs are too 'loosely' attatched to each other and fling around too much.
HL2's has a good limb limiter, they cant reach too far out becoming unrealistic, but the weight system on human's is not that great and should be improved.

"If your referring to the ragdolls in Battlefield 2 then what your saying makes no sense at all since the Battlefield 2 models do not return to a "T" pose."
Look at the cell ref by David, they move into that pose.

"You cannot be talking about ESF since the Half-Life engine does not use ragdolls."
I was using the form of 'T' as an example when ESF model's are rigged like that.
but the arms were a bit lower in BF2's model's. Again, look at the ref by Dave.
-edit-
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
I was quite interested in it when I first saw the trailer, but after hearing all these faults, it's making me reluctant to try it out. I hear the other BF games have similar problems. =/
Go for it, BF2 still uses the 1942 engine and like 2142, basicly jumps forward in time with an old engine yet is still quite fun.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fatal_CobraX said:
ugh... So annoying to repeat myself.
"What does anything have to do which form they were modeled in?"

Look, BF2's models were made in This position. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/Fatal_CobraX/cell20ref.jpg [Dave Skiwan's Cell Ref].
Once a player dies the model attempt to return to that pose for a single frame, THEN the ragdoll is in effect.
That's also the reason why the arms flail backwards.
The force from moving back into that pose then having ragdoll effects kick in once that frame is reached the model continues to move, thus the arms moving backwards.
Each of the limbs have their own ragdoll effects but all have the same weight and is attatched ofcourse to another limb which is good on paper, but not in game.
This is my explanation of why BF2's human ragdoll's suck.

A good human ragdoll example would be America's Army + Half-Life 2's ragdoll effects combined.
AA's ragdoll's have a good sense of weight and fall realisticly but the limbs are too 'loosely' attatched to each other and fling around too much.
HL2's has a good limb limiter, they cant reach too far out becoming unrealistic, but the weight system on human's is not that great and should be improved.

"If your referring to the ragdolls in Battlefield 2 then what your saying makes no sense at all since the Battlefield 2 models do not return to a "T" pose."
Look at the cell ref by David, they move into that pose.

"You cannot be talking about ESF since the Half-Life engine does not use ragdolls."
I was using the form of 'T' as an example when ESF model's are rigged like that.
but the arms were a bit lower in BF2's model's. Again, look at the ref by Dave.
After all of your explanations, I'm still not following you.

Besides, what's the big deal with how "realistic" or "unrealistic" ragdolls are supposed to be? Sure you might want more realism, but why? If you see a ragdoll flopping around then that means you have one less person to worry about (unless it's a teammate).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont know what your all *****ing about, your whining about how the units fall down? gameplay makes a game, not how the units fall down. battlefield games have always had pretty good gameplay, this probobly wont be any differant.

edit

theres nothing wrong with the damn physics anyways, perhaps your getting killed too much?

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*COUGH*
Fatal_CobraX said:
Go for it, BF2 still uses the 1942 engine and like 2142, basicly jumps forward in time with an old engine yet is still quite fun.
*COUGH*

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fatal_CobraX said:
I'm not going to dissect my post's further to explain.
If you dont understand what I'm telling you dont bother replying.
I'll make it easy for you, here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/Fatal_CobraX/cell20ref.jpg
"They return to that pose then they fall to the ground."
I fail to see your point, like I and ZeroNightmare said who cares about ragdolls and how the look or fall to the ground?

I like how in Battlefield 2142 they have a "bragging" system which works by knifing someone and you get their "dog tags" which show up in your online statistics.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I see now...
Your just not paying attention.
I gave my explaination of how I think the ragdoll's suck.
You didnt understand, so I dissected my post to explain.
You still did not understand, I gave a more simple one line explaination.
You reply with:
MC said:
I fail to see your point, like I and ZeroNightmare said who cares about ragdolls and how the look or fall to the ground?
This is ****ing stupid.
I told you not to reply to me if you didnt understand.
Yet you did.
Dont reply to this.
You cant seem to think while reading.

Hm, I may probably get this game when it's released.
Probably get a new video card with the game as an excuse to buy a new video card.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fatal_CobraX said:
I see now...
Your just not paying attention.
I gave my explaination of how I think the ragdoll's suck.
You didnt understand, so I dissected my post to explain.
You still did not understand, I gave a more simple one line explaination.
You reply with:

This is ****ing stupid.
I told you not to reply to me if you didnt understand.
Yet you did.
Dont reply to this.
You cant seem to think while reading.

Hm, I may probably get this game when it's released.
Probably get a new video card with the game as an excuse to buy a new video card.
I apologize for my mistakes, I didn't mean to cause any trouble.

Personally I'm looking forward to Battlefield 2142, and especially the Titan game mode which seems very interesting. At least now we can fully customize our weapon loadouts, which I think should have been in Battlefield 2 but eh, no use in complaining I suppose.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So long as they don't release an expansion giving the people who buy it better weapons this should be decidedly decent.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cobrax gets a warning :warning: for taking this way out of hand. Don't post angry, or we will come down on you for it. MC, he was just personally bothered by the ragdoll physics, like I believe a lot of people who play are. It is especially obnoxious in realism mods like project reality.

Best answers
I just liked how u can use mechwarriors and that big ass plane with the shield that looks sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom