Aura Effect Advice

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For the longest time I've been trying to find a satisfying way of making an aura effect which behaved properly and, had the same or similar visual properties as in DBZ, and also looked correct from any given angle. I've tried many methods as well.

The first method I tried was a plugin called ChaosPhoenix, which is primarily used to recreate realistic fire, but I could never get the aura to behave chaotically enough, and the effect was difficult to see through with a character in the center; it was also murder on rendering time.

The 2nd method I tried was an animated sprite-based aura. I tried using a "look-at" constraint on a normals-inverted sphere I had stretched a bit, but the alpha map didn't work properly (aura had grey edges) and I could never constrain the "look-at" controller to behave only on the x and y axis' as the z axis would come into play and force the aura to constantly try to "about-face" to the camera.

My third method firstly used an unanimated photoshopped aura "stripe" which I would add to a 2-sided cylinder with it's caps removed and instanced the geometry for use in a super spray prticle emitter, which I modified to start at a mid thickness, grow for a frame or two, and then shrink to a point to go for the typical overall shape DBZ auras are known for. It worked reasonably well, but the geometry seemed a bit too obvious and unbelievable seeing as the energy "spikes" were only connected horizontally. I still wanted something more though...

Now I'm trying a new and more radical method, yet simple in most respects. I believe it's what DB: Source had originally been going for with their aura. It's basically a sphere which I've added about 100 segments to , stretched to a basic shape, and then used a displacement modifier using an animated noise map (which I also added a radial gradient to the black so the top of the aura would always be the tallest spike. I used a 2nd one on the bottom of the aura with a seperate map to prevent it from spiking downward unrealistically. Then I went into the material for the aura itself, made the aura totally yellow, added 100% self-illumination and then added a fall-off as the opacity map which would make the aura bright, yet see-through, and remain bright at the edges in particular due to the "facing" properties of the fall-off, which behaves much like in DBZ. I then added a glow effect to the aura to make it truly shine.

While this new aura is certainly one of the better looking, I still think it needs something to make it as good s it can be. In particular, I'd like somehow to make the spikes expand at a certain degree away from the aura center as well to prevent it from being totally vertical.

A small video of the aura is here:

http://media.putfile.com/Geometry-Aura-Test

Anything you can say or advice you can give to better the aura's appearance, or if perhaps you have a superior method to this, please do share it. I'll also be sure to credit you if I use the aura in anything I may later put on youtube. As a side-note, this aura is not intended for use in a game. It is PURELY for video presentation. I also use 3dsmax 7, just so you know what I have to work with.

Thanks in advance to all! =)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
too chaotic imo and small spikes.

Best answers
I like how you are experimenting with this, but I wouldn't call your current method the best. Actually you should completly ommit it since this completly doesn't remind of dbz aura at all, without sounding too harsh. But don't stop experimenting and testing!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I know it's chaotic. This is a test render I did late last night. I would have rendered a slower version, but I ran out of time before I had to drive to school. As far as the "egg" shape, I was always under the impression that the auras were typically a tear-drop shape, which is what I tried doing. If you know a different base-shape, please describe it. I know that they typically conform to the user's body, but that's basically impossible here. I know the spikes are too small. That's probably easily fixed once I change the noise map's scale.

@Broli: I was trying to emulate the auras seen in the fully-cg Tenkaichi 2 intro vid, which seemed like the best ones done in CG that I had seen. If you know a better method, please tell me.

🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I was always under the impression that the auras were typically a tear-drop shape, which is what I tried doing
An onion bulb or tear is actually a pretty good representation for overall shape and form for certain views.

I know that they typically conform to the user's body, but that's basically impossible here.
Conforming to the users body is not impossible. Our project's old aura had support for this, and our new method will take it to the next level by introducing proper flow techniques. We'll see about introducing technical details on the proper forum soon.

I was trying to emulate the auras seen in the fully-cg Tenkaichi 2 intro vid, which seemed like the best ones done in CG that I had seen.
Considering the effect of the tenkaichi video, it's actually not too shabby of a representation if you take into account the funky style blend they used.

Like N-J says though, keep trying various things out. Experimentation is a good thing.

Best answers
AN EGG HAHAHAH!!!....>.>

i agree with Zeth, if you've been in game development long enough, you would understand nothing id impossible.

I was always under the impression that the auras were typically a tear-drop shape, which is what I tried doing
if you've really seen alot of dbz, you would know their not. its more of combined flames that form this "oval shape". its only been an "egg" shape because past/current dbz mods have only used this method, thats my only thought as to why you would think the aura is an egg shape like this...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah well, ChaosPhoenix had the coding to conform to a body, but I tried it before. Apply it to anything even relatively high poly, hit render and prepare for Max to tell you it crashed because you overloaded it's memory (mind you, I have a pretty robust computer complete with 2 GB RAM and one of the best 512 MB video cards on the market).

It would have worked nicely if it would just be more memory efficient, what with it using the actual object it's applied to as an emitter and-

...holy ****ing ****...I just had a brainwave...a GENUINE brainwave! I totally forgot! Super Spray can use and object as an emitter! Oh I've GOT to try this!

Best answers
That's not a 'genuine brainwave' that's just remembering something -_-

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
oh j-dude pls show some more of your work pls i like it alot
even if that egg shape comes in esf it still is the best aura arround :S

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Woo hoo! Well, I did some tweaking to my old particle aura by adding a glow to it instead of purely relying on the material and got an awesome result! I even used an effect to generate electric sparks at certain intervals. I even topped it off by putting a biped in the middle for reference.

http://media.putfile.com/Particle-Aura-Effect

Whatcha' think???

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom